Options

Not an iOS user but still a PJ fan left in the cold by 10C

Comments

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,312
    Brian_Bo wrote:
    ITunes is a bloated piece of software that installs multiple pieces of vampire software on a PC. Also some of us use linux.
    :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::lol:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    I have an old version of itunes on my PC from a while back when I wanted to check out itunes U.
    At the time I was using a friend's account as I don't use itunes or any of the apple crap. I searched for 'Pearl Jam' found the lightening bolt album but I'm not seeing any free streaming anything anywhere. Is it something that you have to be signed into an account to get?
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    duska3419 wrote:
    I have an old version of itunes on my PC from a while back when I wanted to check out itunes U.
    At the time I was using a friend's account as I don't use itunes or any of the apple crap. I searched for 'Pearl Jam' found the lightening bolt album but I'm not seeing any free streaming anything anywhere. Is it something that you have to be signed into an account to get?
    pretty sure you need the most updated version. the older version probably doesn't have the feature.
  • Options
    Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,495
    This is hilarious

always something.
  • Options
    Mike D88Mike D88 Tampa Posts: 723
    edited October 2013
    LloydXmas wrote:
    Brian_Bo wrote:
    ITunes is a bloated piece of software that installs multiple pieces of vampire software on a PC.
    :lol::lol::lol: ok buddy. guess you're shit out of luck then.

I'm guessing you think it's funny because you're completely ignorant on the subject.

iTunes will drop the following into Windows:
    -Bonjour*
    -Mobile device service*
    -iTunes Helper*
    -Quicktime + associated browser plugins
    -QTTask*
    -Apple Application Support
    -Apple Software Update*

*runs constantly without user interaction

None of this is necessary at all to actually run iTunes, nor do any of these programs improve the user experience in some way. Generally when people bitch about how Windows runs slowly, it's because a bunch of stuff like this is running in the background for no real purpose.
    Post edited by Mike D88 on
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • Options
    Laru88Laru88 Posts: 6
    I have Windows and use iTunes, only because I have very few other choices. The "free" stream is not working for me. It stops one minute into the first song. I read here that you have to have the latest version (WHY?!?!) so I downloaded that. Still didn't work. Rebooted my computer, tried again. STILL DIDN'T WORK!!!

Apple is a terrible....unless you want to convert every one of your devices to Apple, they make things so incredibly hard. I downloaded the new Sabbath album when it came out. At the time it was the only way to get the bonus tracks (anyone say monopoly?)....all I want to do is burn it to a CD, but no, it's gotta be an MP4!!

Why can't pearljam.com just stream the album on the site, like they did with "Backspacer"?? So frustrated right now!
    You can spend your time alone, redigesting past regrets...or you can come to terms and realize you're the only one who can forgive yourself...makes more sense to live in the present tense
  • Options
    rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 between a rock and a dumb place Posts: 12,632
    I am upset that there's no 8-track version

it's a conspiracy dammit
  • Options
    cifrancgxcifrancgx Columbus, OH USA Posts: 350
    Brian_Bo wrote:
    ITunes is a bloated piece of software that installs multiple pieces of vampire software on a PC. Also some of us use linux.
    ITunes was designed on Linux, and Mac IS Linux.. If you use a Linux system, you're essentially USING a foundation Apple system, because the original Apple/IBM systems were and still ARE Linux based. But yes there are Linux systems for general PCS as well. As for vampire software that's a new one..

Not to be a nerd, but that is not true. Mac OSX is NOT LINUX. Mac OSX is based on the Mach Kernel and uses parts of FreeBSD and NetBSD which are decedents of Berkeley Software Distribution (BSD) UNIX. In fact Linus Torvalds, the creator of the LINUX kernel criticized Apple for going with the Mach Kernel. Both Linux and BSD are "Unix-like" so they have that in common, but Mac OSX definitely isn't LINUX.
    George

Toledo, OH 1996 | Cuyahoga Falls, OH 1998 | Columbus, OH 2000,2003,2010 | Cleveland, OH 2003,2010 | Kitchener, London, Hamilton, ON 2005 | Pittsburgh 2013 | Cincinnati, OH 2006, 2014 | Lexington, KY 2016 | Indianapolis, IN 2023 (POSTPONED)
  • Options
    rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 between a rock and a dumb place Posts: 12,632
    :ugeek:
  • Options
    JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238
    I demand that my free beer be served in a FROSTED MUG! smiley.gif
  • Options
    JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238
    Oh, and you definitely do not need to upgrade to the latest version of itunes to stream the album. Just follow the link on the homepage here.
  • Options
    Hey I updated to the latest version and can confirm it works even if u don't have an account with itunes and click 'no thanks' when it wants to scan your drives.

BUT! it doesn't work by searching 'pearl jam' in the corner. you have to go to the 'music' tab and the banner photo ad things on the top has a PJ one which is where you can listen to the album.

I'm 3 minutes into the first song and I'm enjoying it a lot. Worth the effort to find this magical nugget of awesome.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
  • Options
    this thread is hilarious. thank you OP.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    goldenegggoldenegg Posts: 367
    Mike D88 wrote:
    LloydXmas wrote:
    Brian_Bo wrote:
    ITunes is a bloated piece of software that installs multiple pieces of vampire software on a PC.
    :lol::lol::lol: ok buddy. guess you're shit out of luck then.

I'm guessing you think it's funny because you're completely ignorant on the subject.

iTunes will drop the following into Windows:
    -Bonjour*
    -Mobile device service*
    -iTunes Helper*
    -Quicktime + associated browser plugins
    -QTTask*
    -Apple Application Support
    -Apple Software Update*

*runs constantly without user interaction

None of this is necessary at all to actually run iTunes, nor do any of these programs improve the user experience in some way. Generally when people bitch about how Windows runs slowly, it's because a bunch of stuff like this is running in the background for no real purpose.

Lists like this provide nothing more than fear mongering to people who don't know any different. Those pieces all have their purpose and they must be split up in that manner, due to the way Windows works.

Bonjour - Apple networking protocol, used for wireless communication to iPods, iPhones, iPads as well as sync capabilities to AppleTV units
    Mobile Device Service - This allows for advanced mobile device functionality, such as internet tethering
    iTunes Helper - Used to make syncing of iPods, iPhones and iPads more seamless
    Quicktime - Given that Quicktime is the default video format for iTunes, this makes sense to be included
    QTTask - This is the Quicktime tray application, which can be easily stopped by users
    Apple Software Update - Checks for updates to installed Apple software

Not a single one of these components take up any meaningful amount of memory or processor resources. Unless you're running on a decade old computer, they won't cause any performance issues.

I don't write this as a Windows or Apple fanboy, just a techie who hates when people continue to spread misinformation as fact.
  • Options
    goldenegg wrote:
    Lists like this provide nothing more than fear mongering to people who don't know any different. Those pieces all have their purpose and they must be split up in that manner, due to the way Windows works.

Bonjour - Apple networking protocol, used for wireless communication to iPods, iPhones, iPads as well as sync capabilities to AppleTV units
    Mobile Device Service - This allows for advanced mobile device functionality, such as internet tethering
    iTunes Helper - Used to make syncing of iPods, iPhones and iPads more seamless
    Quicktime - Given that Quicktime is the default video format for iTunes, this makes sense to be included
    QTTask - This is the Quicktime tray application, which can be easily stopped by users
    Apple Software Update - Checks for updates to installed Apple software

Not a single one of these components take up any meaningful amount of memory or processor resources. Unless you're running on a decade old computer, they won't cause any performance issues.
    I don't write this as a Windows or Apple fanboy, just a techie who hates when people continue to spread misinformation as fact.

Some of the parts in my computer are just about a decade old. :oops: Why you hatin'?
    ( ;) I can play it fine though ;) )
  • Options
    cifrancgxcifrancgx Columbus, OH USA Posts: 350
    Brian_Bo wrote:
    Nitro wrote:
    Love the entitlement.
    ITunes is basically the ticketmaster of digital distribution.

Not even close. That would imply that there is no other way to buy music online other than iTunes. iTunes is huge, but there is also Amazon.com, Google Play, and many others. Not to mention the music streaming sites like Pandora, Spotify, eMusic, RDIO, Rhapsody, etc....
    George

Toledo, OH 1996 | Cuyahoga Falls, OH 1998 | Columbus, OH 2000,2003,2010 | Cleveland, OH 2003,2010 | Kitchener, London, Hamilton, ON 2005 | Pittsburgh 2013 | Cincinnati, OH 2006, 2014 | Lexington, KY 2016 | Indianapolis, IN 2023 (POSTPONED)
  • Options
    duska3419 wrote:
    Hey I updated to the latest version and can confirm it works even if u don't have an account with itunes and click 'no thanks' when it wants to scan your drives.

BUT! it doesn't work by searching 'pearl jam' in the corner. you have to go to the 'music' tab and the banner photo ad things on the top has a PJ one which is where you can listen to the album.

I'm 3 minutes into the first song and I'm enjoying it a lot. Worth the effort to find this magical nugget of awesome.

I did exactly what you said.....same problem. Thanks anyway. iTunes blows.
    You can spend your time alone, redigesting past regrets...or you can come to terms and realize you're the only one who can forgive yourself...makes more sense to live in the present tense
  • Options
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    I am upset that there's no 8-track version

it's a conspiracy dammit

LOL
  • Options
    Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,773
    benjs wrote:
    Brian_Bo wrote:
    Would like it if I could partake in the official stuff that the band is doing on iTunes. However I do not use any OS from Apple nor do I ever spend money on iTunes. There are other apps, stores and operating systems in the world, please don't support a monopoly.

I've sent emails to the fanclub about this but they come back with no response other than a thank you and they are looking into it.

Hi Brian, I'm just wondering where you're from. Here in Toronto, I know my ISP is part of a duopoly who very clearly partake in price fixing (whether they'll admit it or not). Next, when you come on here, you've come to a website with files hosted by Amazon Web Services - guys who have what's dangerously close to a monopoly on plenty of markets. When you (presumably) bought your Lightning Bolt album, you bought an album belonging to the label of Universal, and which is being distributed by Monkeywrench's pals, Target, in the US! Ever heard of them? Oh, and I would imagine you paid with a credit card - Visa, perhaps? You want to live a life without monopolies? Good luck. Stop fighting the power, go download the world's most profitable company's free, no strings attached media player, and listen to your favourite band's rockin' new album.

Oh, here's a link, in case it makes your life easier. http://www.apple.com/itunes/

Before this thread spirals out of control, I think we all need to look up the definition of the word "monopoly."

A monopoly exists when there is only ONE option for something...not when a certain something dominates (or seems to dominate) the market place.

Target, Visa, Apple, etc. are NOT monopolies. You have other options.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,773
    Laru88 wrote:
    duska3419 wrote:

I've seen other people have issues. They're all outside of the USA. Hmmm..
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Huh?
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Laru88 wrote:
    duska3419 wrote:

Try searching Pearl Jam in the search box in the corner. Click on the lightning bolt album. That SHOULD bring up a page with a track listing. Under the last track there's a thing that says 'preview all' click that and the album will start playing.
  • Options
    PRL1JAMPRL1JAM Posts: 782
    next blu-ray release someone will come in here crying about why VCR owners no longer get any love.
  • Options
    in all seriousness, if anyone is having issues with ios and being left out in the cold by pj, please refer to this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=204544

we'll get you straightened out... or else.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    jvoorheesjvoorhees Langley, BC Posts: 199
    Workin A ok for me... lovin the new album!!!! Was trying hard to wait till the vinyl arrived... but too damn tempting! :)
    05/11/2000, Vancouver, BC
    05/30/2003, Vancouver, BC
    09/01/2005, The Gorge
    09/02/2005, Vancouver, BC
    07/22/2006, The Gorge
    09/25/2009, Vancouver, BC
    09/25/2011, Vancouver, BC
    12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC
    12/06/2013, Seattle, WA
  • Options
    evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,103
    Y'all really tore the original poster a new asshole! Downright cut-throat on a day meant for celebration & a little brother/sister-hood among PJ family. Scared the OP away pretty quickly. Pretty fucked up when we see fellow fans kickin other fans when they're already down. It was like watching a bunch of hyenas foaming at the mouth in the bushes, waiting for an outlier to squeal. The dudes post was addressing a legitimate concern. There are more constructive ways to respond than what was done here. We all have the freedom to post (within some limitations) so why not do so with the intention on aiming to help. Save the heckling for cheap comedy & trashy facebooking; we should expect better from our members on here.
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,218
    evsgjamm wrote:
    Y'all really tore the original poster a new asshole! Downright cut-throat on a day meant for celebration & a little brother/sister-hood among PJ family. Scared the OP away pretty quickly. Pretty fucked up when we see fellow fans kickin other fans when they're already down. It was like watching a bunch of hyenas foaming at the mouth in the bushes, waiting for an outlier to squeal. The dudes post was addressing a legitimate concern. There are more constructive ways to respond than what was done here. We all have the freedom to post (within some limitations) so why not do so with the intention on aiming to help. Save the heckling for cheap comedy & trashy facebooking; we should expect better from our members on here.

I'll try to be constructive in my post but the outcome was inevitable. No good can come from debating Apple. It's a big rabbit hole of the internet. People will adamantly worship Apple and people with admantly despise Apple. It's a plague on all message boards everywhere and brings even the best of people to their knees :(

I'm not a big fan of Apple and I'll leave it at that. I do have iTunes installed on my PC for the odd thing I can't find on bluray or cd. I'd prefer to listening to LB on FLAC for my first listen. I'm sure it'll show up on the net in high quality FLAC in the next few days. I can wait.
  • Options
    TyTy Posts: 1,007
    It's not about Apple or Linux or whatever. It's about some tool saying he was left out in the cold by the TenClub because he couldn't listen to the album pre-release for free. I'm in Australia, can't hear it, but I'm not going to go blame Qantas for making flights too expensive for me to fly over and listen a few days before it comes out. OP was being a twat. Probably because he is one. This negativity and sense of entitlement is really a drain on this forum. I left the Pearl Jam TenClub Facebook group today because someone suggested they felt "shafted" because PJ had support bands, and this person didn't want to sit through another band. FFS, are these people eating cereal?! Are they from Syria?!

Talk to ya's after the album is out, maybe. Topics like this from twats like this give me a headache. It reminds me of some quote from Kurt about the people he despises liking his music and showing up to his gigs. I have a feeling Ed thinks the same of people like the OP.
    PJ - Sydney 1998; Sydney 2003; Sydney, Melbourne, Newcastle 2006; Melbourne, Sydney 2009; Gold Coast, Melbourne, Sydney 2014.
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle, Sydney 2011; Sydney 2014.
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    :corn:
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    Mike D88Mike D88 Tampa Posts: 723
    edited October 2013
    goldenegg wrote:

Bonjour - Useless
    Mobile Device Service - Useless
    iTunes Helper - Useless
    Quicktime - Useless
    QTTask - Useless
    Apple Software Update - Useless

I've revised the list to describe each item's usefulness as a Windows user who does not own any Apple devices.

What I usually find is these items are in the way while diagnosing a problematic system. On their own they're not prohibitive, but when every program from every vendor wants to install this many startup processes (and they all do), that creates a problem.
    Post edited by Mike D88 on
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG