A new car

The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Posts: 12,158
edited October 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
I need a new car. I don't know what to get. What would you buy? Make/model? I just want something reliable, good on gas, something good for winter, automatic, 2 door or 4 door don't matter. I'm looking to buy new. Nothing crazy expensive, just average or so.

What does everyone drive/recommend driving?
Another habit says it's in love with you
Another habit says its long overdue
Another habit like an unwanted friend
I'm so happy with my righteous self
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• What do you want to spend?
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    edited October 2013
    Not a Saturn....
    Post edited by STAYSEA on
  • What do you want to spend?

Between 20 and 25k

Remember, I'm in Canada, so the prices here are a bit more than in the States. Apparently what you would would get for approx 19k there, I would pay 25k here.
  • Here ya go...
    This will keep you busy

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... 7100,d.aWM
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Posts: 12,158
    edited October 2013
    Thanks for any and all suggestions!
    Post edited by The Waiting Trophy Man on
  • Here ya go...
    This will keep you busy

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... 7100,d.aWM

Okay cool, thanks! This is perfect.
  • Looking at a 2013 Hyundai Tucson :)
  • shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,818
    Looking at a 2013 Hyundai Tucson :)

Are they more reliable now? I know Hyundai has been working on their reliability image. I bought a 2011 Toyota prius earlier this year and couldn't be happier. It had 9000 miles which is good bc the hybrid system doesn't run at max efficiency for the first 10,000 miles or so. It has a breaking in period. We got a promotional super low apr.... Sorry can't shell out that much cash at once to buy outright. Also, obviously got a better deal bc it's used. Looks brand new though. It is certified by Toyota so the warranty is excellent. It has everything I want: audio jack, decent speakers, leather interior, and it's red. I drive a lot for work and get 50mpg. I'm reimbursed for mileage. My reimbursement is based on some government calculation of what mileage reimbursement should be and fluctuates based on gas prices. I'm actually reimbursed more than I spend on gas now. Love this car and recommend it to anyone. It's roomier than u might think too. My 3 kids sit comfortably in the back seat. 2 of them are in booster seats which take up space. Have fun shopping!
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 NYC Global Citizen
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/2/18 Fenway 1 9/4/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    2/4/22 EV Earthlings NYC 2/6/22 EV Earthlings Newark 9/11/22 MSG 9/14/22 Camden
    9/3/24 MSG 1 9/4/24 MSG 2 9/7/24 Philly 1 9/9/24 Philly 2
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,668
    I bought a Subaru Outback last summer and it is by far my favorite/best car I have ever owned. It pretty much fits all your criteria, but unsure of price due to CDN/US conversion. I also put a great deal of extras in mine (moonroof, navigation, remote starter, etc)
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    MayDay10 wrote:
    I bought a Subaru Outback last summer and it is by far my favorite/best car I have ever owned. It pretty much fits all your criteria, but unsure of price due to CDN/US conversion. I also put a great deal of extras in mine (moonroof, navigation, remote starter, etc)
    They pretty much start at 30k here (on the lot).
  • Looking at a 2013 Hyundai Tucson :)

Are they more reliable now? I know Hyundai has been working on their reliability image. I bought a 2011 Toyota prius earlier this year and couldn't be happier. It had 9000 miles which is good bc the hybrid system doesn't run at max efficiency for the first 10,000 miles or so. It has a breaking in period. We got a promotional super low apr.... Sorry can't shell out that much cash at once to buy outright. Also, obviously got a better deal bc it's used. Looks brand new though. It is certified by Toyota so the warranty is excellent. It has everything I want: audio jack, decent speakers, leather interior, and it's red. I drive a lot for work and get 50mpg. I'm reimbursed for mileage. My reimbursement is based on some government calculation of what mileage reimbursement should be and fluctuates based on gas prices. I'm actually reimbursed more than I spend on gas now. Love this car and recommend it to anyone. It's roomier than u might think too. My 3 kids sit comfortably in the back seat. 2 of them are in booster seats which take up space. Have fun shopping!

I don't know much about Hyundai, never driven one. Good to know though. But did you know Toyota had a big recall there a few years ago and it really hurt their image. I still remember that. I'm considering buying used if it's a year old and has low mileage. And as long as it still looks new. It would be way cheaper. I'll definitely take a look at the Prius. I'd probably drive one just because it looks similar to the car Larry David drove on Curb Your Enthusiasm, lol.
  • Rygar wrote:
    MayDay10 wrote:
    They pretty much start at 30k here (on the lot).

Yeah I was looking at them too and they're a bit pricey for me. At least brand new they are. I could look at a 2012 perhaps.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,668
    yeah, they are supposed to last too... Many of my closest friends own/bought used Outbacks and are all thrilled and swear by them
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,835
    We got a new VW Golf TDI a few years back, and that thing kicks much ass. I've driven from Brooklyn to Boston and back to Brooklyn and not had to stop for gas.

Also, when you need to speed up to pass someone, the thing really has some jump.

I think it was around $23K in the U.S. with no bells and whistles.

VW also makes a Jetta TDI, which might be a little less expensive than the Golf but likely has the same sweet features mentioned above.

The one drawback is that if you leave your comfort zone, it might be hard to find a filling station that has diesel. For instance, we drove out to Long Island to visit a friend, and we had to stop at three or more stations before we found one that had a diesel pump.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • My favorite cars have been my Subaru WRX and my Toyota Matrix.

The Subaru is a blast to drive. The AWD makes handling fun and actually caved me from a few wrecks.
    Its fast and insurance is normal because its classified as a normal sedan. I got mine brand new for 22K back in 2003.

If I were in the market for a new car I would look at the wagon version of the Subaru WRX.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • drivingrldrivingrl Posts: 1,448
    Do you intend to keep the car until it dies and do the maintenance yourself? Then get:

Toyota Corolla
    Toyota Corolla Matrix (This is what I drive, and do all the repairs on it myself. It's easy.)
    Honda Civic
    Honda Fit
    Subaru anything

Do you intend to keep it for a few years and sell it before you have to pay for major repairs?

Volkswagen Jetta (Great cars, but expensive to repair)
    Nissan anything (Fall apart after 3-4 years)
    Mazda 3 (Fall apart after 3-4 years)
    Hyundai anything (Fall apart after 3-4 years)
    drivingrl: "Will I ever get to meet Gwen Stefani?"
    kevinbeetle: "Yes. When her career washes up and her and Gavin move to Galveston, you will meet her at Hot Topic shopping for a Japanese cheerleader outfit.

Next!"
  • drivingrl wrote:
    Do you intend to keep the car until it dies and do the maintenance yourself? Then get:

Toyota Corolla
    Toyota Corolla Matrix (This is what I drive, and do all the repairs on it myself. It's easy.)
    Honda Civic
    Honda Fit
    Subaru anything

Do you intend to keep it for a few years and sell it before you have to pay for major repairs?

Volkswagen Jetta (Great cars, but expensive to repair)
    Nissan anything (Fall apart after 3-4 years)
    Mazda 3 (Fall apart after 3-4 years)
    Hyundai anything (Fall apart after 3-4 years)

You just reminded me of another important aspect of that Subaru WRX I owned. Great resale value (this was 2006-7 when I sold it though, so im not sure about today.) I bought it new for 22K, sold it with 85K miles for 15K after four years. But then again, the WRX had quite a reputation back then. I havent heard much lately...and the newer models are not interesting looking (physically) at all.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • I work in the Auto Industry and Hyundai has made more quality gains in the last decade than any other manufacturer. Honestly those cars are really good now. Plus they still have an excellent warranty.

GM vehicles are also much better in recent years as well.
    NERDS!
  • I work in the Auto Industry and Hyundai has made more quality gains in the last decade than any other manufacturer. Honestly those cars are really good now. Plus they still have an excellent warranty.

Awesome, good to know thanks!

I appreciate reading all the posts, all good stuff, keep me comin'
  • drivingrldrivingrl Posts: 1,448

I'm glad to hear this. I've been hesitant to purchase a car from a U.S. auto maker.
    drivingrl: "Will I ever get to meet Gwen Stefani?"
    kevinbeetle: "Yes. When her career washes up and her and Gavin move to Galveston, you will meet her at Hot Topic shopping for a Japanese cheerleader outfit.

Next!"
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    I spend most of my time in rental cars as I travel a lot for work. I've driven pretty much everything.

I catagorize by the following...and I'll keep the makes in your price range.

I like to drive:
    VW
    Nissan
    Kia
    Subaru

I'm ok with it:
    Toyota
    Honda
    Hyundai
    Ford
    Mazda

I don't want to drive this fn thing: :lol:
    Chevy
    Chrysler
  • I'm going with a 2011 Hyundai Tucson GLS AWD. It's ash black. Found one that was traded in recently. Dealership let me take it home for the night. This should be a good winter vehicle; the heated seats are gonna be nice :mrgreen:
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    keep me comin'
    That's what she said :mrgreen:

Congratulations on the new car (goes with new job too, right?).

I'm in the market myself, though my needs/uses are pretty light.

Still...if I can get me a Challenger, I'll be a happy woman.

Safe driving to you!
  • hedonist wrote:
    keep me comin'
    That's what she said :mrgreen:

Congratulations on the new car (goes with new job too, right?).

I'm in the market myself, though my needs/uses are pretty light.

Still...if I can get me a Challenger, I'll be a happy woman.

Safe driving to you!

Lol!

Thanks! Yes, new job, new car - well new to me - things are good.

I like this vehicle, it's just what I want and need.

Good luck on getting your Challenger! :D
    I'm going with a 2011 Hyundai Tucson GLS AWD. It's ash black. Found one that was traded in recently. Dealership let me take it home for the night. This should be a good winter vehicle; the heated seats are gonna be nice :mrgreen:
    Nice! I have a '11 Nissan Rogue AWD. Love it. I also do a lot of backpacking and camping so a little clearance and AWD def helps on some trails. Been through some nasty stuff and it just plows through!
  • mca47 wrote:
    I'm going with a 2011 Hyundai Tucson GLS AWD. It's ash black. Found one that was traded in recently. Dealership let me take it home for the night. This should be a good winter vehicle; the heated seats are gonna be nice :mrgreen:
    Nice! I have a '11 Nissan Rogue AWD. Love it. I also do a lot of backpacking and camping so a little clearance and AWD def helps on some trails. Been through some nasty stuff and it just plows through!

Sweet! Can't wait to drive through some nasty stuff of my own, lol
    mca47 wrote:

Sweet! Can't wait to drive through some nasty stuff of my own, lol
    Yeah, it'll certainly help with the snow and ice.

A lot of those crossover or small SUVs have "4x4 road tires". Tougher than your average car tire but not always great in the snow and slop....even with AWD. Not sure where u live but if you live in a place with nasty winters, you may consider a set a quality rubber.
    I only say this ^^ because I went through about 6 inches of mud and water for 20-30 yards a couple weekends ago in an unexpected wash in N Arizona. Was deep and thick and my "4x4 contact Continental" tires had some issues.
    Even after I took the skid control, and stability control off and locked in the full power AWD, those tires sucked in the slop. Got through, made a mess of my beautiful car but it took some doing. :lol:
  • mca47 wrote:
    I only say this ^^ because I went through about 6 inches of mud and water for 20-30 yards a couple weekends ago in an unexpected wash in N Arizona. Was deep and thick and my "4x4 contact Continental" tires had some issues.
    Even after I took the skid control, and stability control off and locked in the full power AWD, those tires sucked in the slop. Got through, made a mess of my beautiful car but it took some doing. :lol:

Lol :lol:

Well Theres winter tires on already, so I'm good to go. I live in Alberta, so it's winter for about 6 months of the year here. I should notice a big difference after driving a Ford Focus the past 6 years!