Open Heart Surgery

Drum Machine89Drum Machine89 Posts: 2,157
edited December 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Hey,

I am posting this to see if anyone on here has gone through this! 13 weeks ago I had open heart surgery as I needed a valve replacement. The surgery was a success and I am recovering well but things are going to be changing in my life since the surgery. I was only working part time before my surgery but I have decided to move one and leave my current job.

I have read that many people who have had OHS have suffered from depression, It seems to be older people who do though, I am only 24! I hadn't been very happy for a good while before my operation though. I started this topic so maybe people who have also had this type of surgery can share their experiences,

thanks for reading,

Michael. :)
Let them wash away
All those yesterdays
All those yesterdays
All those paper plates
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,818
    Haven't experienced the surgery myself but just wanted to wish you well and continued recovery. I do work with people post various heart surgeries and often I've heard how they feel so much better after surgery it's almost like a rebirth in a way. This often triggers changes in many areas of life. Good luck to you in your continued path :wave:
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 NYC Global Citizen
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/2/18 Fenway 1 9/4/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    2/4/22 EV Earthlings NYC 2/6/22 EV Earthlings Newark 9/11/22 MSG 9/14/22 Camden
    9/3/24 MSG 1 9/4/24 MSG 2 9/7/24 Philly 1 9/9/24 Philly 2
  • Haven't experienced the surgery myself but just wanted to wish you well and continued recovery. I do work with people post various heart surgeries and often I've heard how they feel so much better after surgery it's almost like a rebirth in a way. This often triggers changes in many areas of life. Good luck to you in your continued path :wave:

Thanks for the kind words! :)
    Let them wash away
    All those yesterdays
    All those yesterdays
    All those paper plates
  • Michael,

Sorry to hear about the surgery and I wish you a smooth and speedy recovery. I myself had a CABG done a little under 3 years ago. I'm not gonna lie to you bro, it is a life changing experience and for me personally it was a long road to recovery. Having said that I was 44 at the time so slightly older than yourself. Having gone through it and come out the other side I will tell you to take it slow. I went through physical therapy a few weeks after and it really really helped me a lot. I hope you are able to do the same. If you need to talk or have questions feel free to contact me. Again I wish you a smooth and speedy recovery...

Nelson
    Maui Hawaii 2-21-1998
    Portland Oregon 9-26-2009
    EV Las Vegas Nevada 10-31-2012
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    Hi. My Dad (also based in Scotland) had an aortic valve replacement (mechanical valve). Are you on warfarin? I know one thing that helped my Dad feel better (in spirits) was taking control of his INR checks and warfarin. He bought his own machine to check INR and has a prescription for the testing strips. He had to be assessed prior to being approved and occassionally his machine has to be checked but it has given him a lot of freedom from trips to have blood taken at the Drs and not having to worry so much about going away.
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • chime wrote:
    Hi. My Dad (also based in Scotland) had an aortic valve replacement (mechanical valve). Are you on warfarin? I know one thing that helped my Dad feel better (in spirits) was taking control of his INR checks and warfarin. He bought his own machine to check INR and has a prescription for the testing strips. He had to be assessed prior to being approved and occassionally his machine has to be checked but it has given him a lot of freedom from trips to have blood taken at the Drs and not having to worry so much about going away.

Hey there,

I was on warfarin for 8 weeks but since the pulmonary valve I have is a tissue one I don't need to be on it anymore.
    The valve that I had put in is a cows valve! :P

How is your dad doing? I'm glad he has some freedom with his machine!
    Let them wash away
    All those yesterdays
    All those yesterdays
    All those paper plates
  • Nelson D wrote:
    Michael,

Sorry to hear about the surgery and I wish you a smooth and speedy recovery. I myself had a CABG done a little under 3 years ago. I'm not gonna lie to you bro, it is a life changing experience and for me personally it was a long road to recovery. Having said that I was 44 at the time so slightly older than yourself. Having gone through it and come out the other side I will tell you to take it slow. I went through physical therapy a few weeks after and it really really helped me a lot. I hope you are able to do the same. If you need to talk or have questions feel free to contact me. Again I wish you a smooth and speedy recovery...

Nelson

Hey Nelson

Thanks for the reply , Glad your surgery went well and you got the support you needed from the physical therapy. I have started light gym work with the physios but I was starting to get a bit tired last week so I took a week out.
    I'm going on holiday to Florida with my family on Friday then I'm going to go back to the gym once We get back.

Thanks for the kind words Nelson, All the best!
    Let them wash away
    All those yesterdays
    All those yesterdays
    All those paper plates
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    Wow, what a coincidence. I will have a cardiac catheterization tomorrow. I plan on having open heart surgery/pulmonary valve replacement this month. To deal with depression I am making a contact list. As I recover I will contact each person a lot, maybe daily. To be engaged reduces depression. To just say HELLO is quite powerful.

My last open heart surgery was 38 years ago, but this will be my fourth open heart surgery. Tybird had open heart surgery earlier this year as well.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
    Could you write about the physical therapy?
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    Wow, what a coincidence. I will have a cardiac catheterization tomorrow. I plan on having open heart surgery/pulmonary valve replacement this month. To deal with depression I am making a contact list. As I recover I will contact each person a lot, maybe daily. To be engaged reduces depression. To just say HELLO is quite powerful.

My last open heart surgery was 38 years ago, but this will be my fourth open heart surgery. Tybird had open heart surgery earlier this year as well.

ms. haiku, are you in NYC right now? how long? would you like a visitor? feel free to PM.
    good luck tomorrow!!!

btw - i am ALWAYS available for hellos or whatever else!

drum machine, congrats on your recovery and be well!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Ms. Haiku wrote:

ms. haiku, are you in NYC right now? how long? would you like a visitor? feel free to PM.
    good luck tomorrow!!!

btw - i am ALWAYS available for hellos or whatever else!

drum machine, congrats on your recovery and be well!

good luck with your surgery, ms. haiku.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
    Best cath ever. Blood misdirected to my lungs has been correctly directed to my brain. I feel smarter already.

Only in NYC one day for this. I will keep you posted on the open heart surgery.

Thank you!
  • PJPixiePJPixie Posts: 3,026
    Ms. Haiku wrote:

Put me on your Contact list :)
    The best use of Life is Love.
    The best expression of Love is Time.
    The best time to Love is Now.

I'm never as good as when you're there.........
  • Ms. Haiku wrote:

Hi Ms Haiku,

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, I hadn't been on here for a few days. Sorry to hear you also need the surgery but everything will be fine and you can contact me anytime to chat about things!

I had my pulmonary valve replacement 15 weeks ago and have been recovering very well and almost back to normal life so I am sure everything will be ok so try not to worry about anything!

Speak soon,
    Michael.
    Let them wash away
    All those yesterdays
    All those yesterdays
    All those paper plates
    I may be able to schedule my surgery while I am visiting the doctor today. I wished that "Raiders of the lost ark" theme song was in my head; however, i am thinking about the "Jaws" theme song.
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    I may be able to schedule my surgery while I am visiting the doctor today. I wished that "Raiders of the lost ark" theme song was in my head; however, i am thinking about the "Jaws" theme song.

be positive!!!
    ALL will be well. you ARE tenacious, and made it this far in life. you are an awesome, strong woman ms. haiku, don't you forget it!!!

you are in my thoughts, wish i knew you were around today earlier, i SO would've arranged to meet. if you're still here tomorrow, i WILL head into the city to finally have the pleasure to meet you! and if not, i will keep my fingers crossed all is good for you, and when you next come up, let me know BEFOREhand, so i can plan accordingly. :)

ALL the BEST to YOU!!!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

Ms. Haiku wrote:
    Best cath ever. Blood misdirected to my lungs has been correctly directed to my brain. I feel smarter already.

Only in NYC one day for this. I will keep you posted on the open heart surgery.

Thank you!

helps to read the whole thread FIRST before posting. oops. damn, i'll miss you this trip. definitely let us all know, we're rooting for you! and please, PM me, i so want to see you next trip!!!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Ms. Haiku wrote:

Try to stay positive but I know it's hard not to think about it!

My surgery was suppose to be in September but I got a call in June saying that there was a cancelation so I was able to get the surgery the following day!

I just went for it and decided it was for the best to just get it done so I wouldn't be worrying about it for another 6 weeks.
    Let them wash away
    All those yesterdays
    All those yesterdays
    All those paper plates
    Ms. Haiku wrote:

Try to stay positive but I know it's hard not to think about it!

My surgery was suppose to be in September but I got a call in June saying that there was a cancelation so I was able to get the surgery the following day!

I just went for it and decided it was for the best to just get it done so I wouldn't be worrying about it for another 6 weeks.
    Next day! OMG, it is good timing, bu thinking about it is making me feel queasy.

Yep, I will be asking you questions, Drum Machine89, as I go.
    November 14th is the date. Yippee, I have a date for my surgery!
  • Ms. Haiku wrote:

Stay positive, everything will go fine! You said its your pulmonary valve you are getting replaced yeah?

The morning of my surgery my surgeon wanted to check if one of my other valves needed work on but luckily it was just my pulmonary valve I needed. :)
    Let them wash away
    All those yesterdays
    All those yesterdays
    All those paper plates
    Obviously, it's under my skin as I woke up from a nap with me dreaming I was getting blood drawn for a test.

That was weird.
    Ms. Haiku wrote:

woweeee!!!
    a month away!
    do PM and let me know how long you'll be in NYC, and i will most definitely visit in the hospital, a coffee shop, wherever you'd like! :mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

Many patients born with Tetralogy of Fallot may have a Blalock-Taussing shunt first. If this wasn't around when I was 20 months old I'm not sure how long I would have lasted. I don't see it being used on babies born with Tetralogy of Fallot now as they go straight to the heart repair. Maybe they do it at the same time.

There is a very good HBO movie about the history of the Blalock-Taussing shunt which includes
    Alan Rickman and Mos Def. Boy, oh, boy am I glad they didn't take the road most traveled.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCZn3R0S ... E51345F547

I can't wait until I'm in Baltimore again and maybe I can take their pictures in the John Hopkins hall. Oh, wait, I'll be in Baltimore for the PJ concert on Sunday :)
    During the very boring hospital recovery time I will watch youtube snippets of the Big Bang Theory on my phone. That should be fun.
    I found out about a Facebook group for women born with congenital heart disease called Zipper Sisters. Isn't that a great name? Our scars look like front zippers on a hoodie sweatshirt.
    Woke up at my brother's house which means no blood draw-PSYCH!
    It's been three weeks since my surgery. It boggles my mind that I can talk about having this surgery using the past tense. And, one day it will be a month since my surgery, and one day it will be a year since my surgery, etc.