Options

Pearl Jam still Alive -- but they're no U2

Red Lukin2Red Lukin2 Posts: 108
edited May 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
havent read it yet, but by going by the title I'd have to disagree

http://www.torontosun.com/Entertainment/Music/2005/09/20/1227294-sun.html

On Saturday night, Pearl Jam's Eddie Vedder joined U2 on stage at the Air Canada Centre. Last night, Bono returned the favour.

After a two-and-a-half hour set that made multiple references to the "distinguished, dignified" Irish lads, Pearl Jam launched into Neil Young's Keep On Rocking In The Free World for their third encore. With the lights completely raised in the venue, the unmistakable shape of a short rock star in a cowboy hat became clear: Bono was at the mic. The surprise guest appearance raised the show from mediocre to memorable.

Pearl Jam are rock 'n' roll survivors. The Seattle group has outwit, outplayed and outlasted almost all their 1990's "grunge" peers and the fall of the music industry in general by becoming a touring machine. They haven't had a hit in years, and their activities hardly generate a mention in the media these days. But 14 years after their groundbreaking debut disc, Ten, they're still alive, selling out shows at stadiums like the Air Canada Centre with little effort or promotion.

Last night's ACC gig is part of an extensive cross-Canada tour that hits such oft-neglected markets at Thunder Bay and St. John's.

And the crowds follow, trailing them from town to town, obsessive over the ever-changing set lists.

The band has even developed a successful authorized bootleg system. They've sold more than 3 million live discs so far, and you could buy a CD of last night's show for $10 just hours after it ended.

The band that was considered leaders of a brand new movement a decade ago has now become like a very old one.

Judging by the drunken, university-aged crowd, the Lollapalooza generation has abandoned them, but Gen Y has fully embraced Pearl Jam as the new Grateful Dead.

Pearl Jam don't do much in the way of spectacle these days. They don't have to. They simply launch into a classic like Given To Fly or Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town, singer Eddie Vedder reaching his arms and voice up to the rafters to grab hold of the faithful, and the sold-out crowd responded with much enthusiastic nodding and pot smoking. Yes, just like Deadheads.

"Good evening, a toast," saluted Vedder. "My hotel room window looks out at something," he continued.

"I don't know what it's called, a big tower in the middle of the city. It makes me homesick because we have one, too. It's comforting to know that our big cities have something in common: They are both sporting rather large erections."

The singer isn't normally one for jokes, but he did crack another soon after:

"I want to thank U2 for opening for us" he laughed, referring to the band's multi-night stand at the ACC. Later, he admitted his group drank $1,500 worth of vodka with the Bono and the boys on Sunday night.

There were several musical U2 references throughout the set, too: Impromptu segues into bits of the Irish band's hits A Sort Of Homecoming and Bad, which Vedder called "one of the greatest songs ever."

Comparing themselves to the best live band on earth is a bad idea. While U2 has proven to be vital in the 21st century, their live shows spectacular displays of showmanship and innovative stage design, Pearl Jam in 2005 has little to offer anyone but their, albeit many, diehard fans. The audience knows every word, every nuance and new trick from guitarists Stone Gossard and Mike McCready, delighting in the extended solos and clever combinations of hits, album tracks and covers. From the opening riff of Indifference they knew to get their lighters out for the line "I will light the match this morning." They knew to "boo" when touring keyboardist Boom Gaspar was introduced.

For their part, Pearl Jam delivered an upbeat, rocking set heavy on their best known tunes, such as Even Flow, Daughter and Do The Evolution.

When Vedder took the stage solo for the tender Better Man, the audience erupted into a thunderous roar. They cheered and sang along on a sweet version of Neil Young's Harvest Moon, featuring back-up vocals from Carrie Brownstein, of opening act Sleater-Kinney.

But despite the massive love-in, something was missing. A sense of occasion. A sense of danger. A sense of now.

You could call Pearl Jam timeless. You could also call them outdated. They've earned the right to be classic rockers, but even when they play their biggest hit, Alive, it doesn't feel like a classic moment.

Vedder certainly didn't turn up his performance a notch. (Although he did run to one side of the stage instead of just facing drummer Matt Cameron.)

It was just another rock song from by-gone era, back when Pearl Jam actually mattered.

For two and a half hours, Pearl Jam preached to a grateful flock.

Then at the end, they were upstaged by a man in a cowboy hat and tambourine.

Just because they can make a good living being serious, damned good players with a massive back catalogue, doesn't make them relevant in the outside world once the lights go up.

As Bono's presence only highlighted, they're certainly no U2.

---

SELECTED SET LIST

HERE'S WHAT PEARL JAM PLAYED LAST NIGHT AT THE ACC

- Love Boat Captain

- A Sort Of Homecoming (U2 cover, excerpt)

- Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town

- Even Flow

- Daughter

- Better Man (Vedder solo)

- Bad (U2 cover, excerpt)

- Black (extended)

- Do The Evolution

- You've Got To Hide Your Love Away (Beatles cover)

- Present Tense

- Wishlist

- Harvest Moon (Neil Young cover, with Carrie Brownstein of Sleater-Kinney)

- Indifference

- Alive

- Jeremy Keep On Rockin' In The Free World (Neil Young cover with Bono)

---

PEARL JAM

LAST NIGHT AIR CANADA CENTRE

Sun Rating: 3 out of 5
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I'm usually ok with a negative review of the band, but this one gets under my skin. Saying they are no longer relevant is a load of crap. This guy overanalyzes the band...why not just look at the show as 3 hours of great rock n roll?? that's really what it comes down to, and saying bono upstaged them is just stupid. the guy was out there for 1 song.
  • Options
    I don't like it at all. The writer is uneducated, but I guess I would be expected to say that since I'm from Pearl Jam's "Grateful Flock"
    Life reveals what is dealt through seasons
    Circle comes around each time
  • Options
    Now that Phish has broken up, I think a much better comparison to The Grateful Dead would be The Dave Matthews Band.
  • Options
    spatspat Posts: 644
    "but even when they play their biggest hit, Alive, it doesn't feel like a classic moment."

then put your pen and notepad down and get your fist in the air! jeez. critics man.
    My favorite Pearl Jam song: "Corporate Greed Boat Asshole Behind a Counter in the Oval Office"
  • Options
    I completely disagree with this. In a world where money, glitz, glamour and designer jeans rule the music industry, PJ still has the one thing in mind wheh it takes the stage, the music. It's all about the music. It has to be. Ridiculous article from someone who only knows the hits.
  • Options
    Gangstacro wrote:
    I completely disagree with this. In a world where money, glitz, glamour and designer jeans rule the music industry, PJ still has the one thing in mind wheh it takes the stage, the music. It's all about the music. It has to be. Ridiculous article from someone who only knows the hits.

This article is written by someone who only knows the music industry as money, glitz, glamour and designer jeans. He ignores the music in his article. :)
  • Options
    polarispolaris Posts: 3,527
    this reviewer was impressed by the lights at the u2 show ... that pretty much describes what her motivations are ... she has no sense of what rock and roll is all about ... although it wasn't one of their best shows - she misses the point of the band altogether ... anyways - she writes for the toronto sun ... i dunno if a review in the star will be any better but i generally don't read anything from that paper ...
  • Options
    yotan18yotan18 Posts: 103
    u respect opinions... critics of other people... but this asshole... (sorry for the word)... gets to my nerves...

it seems that she is biased... maybe a diehard u2 fan...

and in her mind.. she knows... PJ is way better than U2...

damn these fools...
    "The Day of Redemption is at hand! Repent, and thou shall be saved..." - A. Ventura

"I always tell the truth. Even when I lie" - T. Montana
    ---
    "Yeah i know... sounds stupid." Aldrin said.

#18 INC forever
  • Options
    Yeah, I picked up the paper this morning and read that horseshit article...
    Is Lisa Ladouceur (writer) under the impression that every band goes out on stage and tries to compare to other bands.
    U2 is a great band. They put on a great show. But they're different.
    If you're going to write a review on a band, write a review on that band.
    Don't compare everything they do to "what U2 would do".
    Ridiculous.
  • Options
    Bahhhhhhaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaahahahhahahhahhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

This review is the funniest thing i've seen all week.

At least she threw in a pot smoking reference for me, before she started bashing the crap out of our favorite band.

yeah, go back to your U2 show, you sad little woman.

we know you don't get it, and we hope you weren't in a floor seat, cause that would be a waste.

;)
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,225
    They knew to "boo" when touring keyboardist Boom Gaspar was introduced

Did it ever occur to this woman they might be saying "Booooom" not "boooo" or even "Boooo-urns"?
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Poncier wrote:
    Did it ever occur to this woman they might be saying "Booooom" not "boooo" or even "Boooo-urns"?

Yea, seriously...what an idiot.
  • Options
    Poncier wrote:
    LOL! Nice Simpsons reference.
  • Options
    Red Lukin2 wrote:
    The singer isn't normally one for jokes, but he did crack another soon after:

"

That was my favorite line. I guess she's only been to one PJ show - Toronto. Ed constantly says funny shit, when he doesn't, soemthing in the show is missing. That's how I felt in Montreal - no funny remarks - I guess due to it being Johnny Ramone's death anniversary. This woman knows nothing.
  • Options
    I was at last night's show and U2's show on friday. Both were excellent shows. There is no need to compare them. The energy I felt last night by far exceed that of friday's U2 show. Sure U2 put more of a "show" on with lights and stage, but Pearl Jam doesn't need to do that, they never have and it doesn't suit their music. It's all about Rock 'n roll, as it should be.
  • Options
    meh i wouldnt take anything from this fat bull dyke so called newspaper writer.

she's written the SAME review for PJ in toronto after the amazing show at the Amphitheatre in '03

she's saves her 5 star reviews for evanescence, system of a down and the killers.
    08.22.98*10.05.00*06.28.03*09.22.05*05.09.06*EV.08.12.08
  • Options
    that show was much better than U2...and i still think it was the weakest of the 3 PJ shows i saw this tour. the only reason i didnt like it as much as the others was cause the set was so generic, but to someone who doesnt go see multiple shows, that show last night kicked way more ass than U2 on friday. 3 out of 5? that is terrible. but no worries, the sun is garbage anyway.

by the way, someone said they save the 5 stars for system of a down, well they do deserve a good rating for sure. that was an awesome show as well. not as good as pearl jam to me, but they did kick ass.
  • Options
    chris05chris05 Posts: 347
    yeh whoever wrote that article does not have a clue...what a tool
    Who cares if the world is going down the toilet? Eddie Vedder got his mojo back!
  • Options
    Like many of you have said, I can take bad reviews of Pearl Jam but this one ............... FUCK! What bothers me most is she somehow thinks that PJ were trying to compare themselves to U2. Yes U2 were there, yes U2 played a few nights befor, but come on, it was a Pearl Jam show and this chick came in with her U2 bias and seemed to decide, "Well, if it's not U2, with pretty lights then I'm not going to like it." Fuck, I'm dumber for just reading her bullshit article. I've already written a Letter to the Editor about this article. If you want to do the same there's direct link from this page: http://www.torontosun.com/Entertainment/Music/2005/09/20/1227294-sun.html

God help us all if every rock reviewer starts judging all concerts by how they feel about U2.
    Jolly Old England in June!

Toronto '00, Buffalo '03, Detroit I & II '03, Toronto '03, Toledo '04, KItchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto, Halifax, St. John's I&II '05, Toronto I&II, Pittsburgh '06
  • Options
    SquidgeSquidge Posts: 145
    U2......what is it with this band. Bono is an arse, The Edge....i mean CUMMON!!!!!!! What fuckin band gives themselves nicknames the stupid C**TS!!!!
    It's like dodgeball when Stiller introduces his team. 'Blade, Razor, Blazer.....'

I don't like their music but i appreciate that they have good live shows.....they're U2, they have to! How fuckin' THIN would their songs sound if they did what PJ do? I'll tell you, FUCKIN THIN!!!!

Bastards, all of them!!!
  • Options
    "When Vedder took the stage solo for the tender Better Man, the audience erupted into a thunderous roar. They cheered and sang along on a sweet version of Neil Young's Harvest Moon, featuring back-up vocals from Carrie Brownstein, of opening act Sleater-Kinney."

Unless I was at a different show, it was Corine Tucker singing back-up vocals on Harvest Moon...which just about sums up the accuracy of Liisa Ladoucer's review.

ds
    And no one sings me lullabyes
    And no one makes me close my eyes
    So I throw the windows wide
    And call to you across the sky....
  • Options
    I don't like it at all. The writer is uneducated, but I guess I would be expected to say that since I'm from Pearl Jam's "Grateful Flock"

i agree, very uneducated.
    See you @: Camden I, Camden II & MSG II
  • Options
    KricketKricket Posts: 707
    What a Joke!
  • Options
    shareshare Posts: 551
    Red Lukin2 wrote:
    havent read it yet, but by going by the title I'd have to disagree

http://www.torontosun.com/Entertainment/Music/2005/09/20/1227294-sun.html

When Vedder took the stage solo for the tender Better Man, the audience erupted into a thunderous roar. They cheered and sang along on a sweet version of Neil Young's Harvest Moon, featuring back-up vocals from Carrie Brownstein, of opening act Sleater-Kinney.

lets face it - this sums up her musical knowledge!!

Looked like Corin Tucker to me

these guys just show up, ask people around them what's going on and then
    write up some shit

I find it innocuous because she screwed up so badly that it's obvious she doesn't know what's she's talking about
    we're all sentient snowflakes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I'm a number that doesn't count
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    the nothing ventured - the nothing feigned
  • Options
    at least PJ doesn't play any of their songs twice during their shows
  • Options
    Poncier wrote:

omg, lmfao... Booooo-urns...

this writer is a loser...The Sun is notrious for uneducated and uninformed music reporters... If anyone is from the GTA, they will know that Jane Stevenson once gave the No code album 2 stars......
    ahhh hello, that's because that album got rid of all the shit heads who wet their pants over hearing Jeremy!

go away losers

It was a great show, and the show didn't need Bono, just an added Bonus

great show boys!!!

probably pissed because she isn't reviewing the Bon Jovi show tonight....
    "as the curtain comes down, I feel that this is just goodbye for now....."
  • Options
    "As Bono's presence only highlighted, they're certainly no U2"

HELLO!!!!!!!!!

U2 is NOT a ROCK BAND
    U2 is NOT a ROCK BAND
    U2 is NOT a ROCK BAND
    U2 is NOT a ROCK BAND

Stop comparing Pearl Jam to a commercial POP band!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    hahahahaha, which song did U2 play twice in a night. i havent heard about that. classic!
    Montreal '03
    Halifax '05

• Options
    What a dumbass review ... U2 is the "greatest live act in the world" if you happen to enjoy the same exact overrehearsed thing every night. I agree, they are polished and professional. Which in my mind is NOT the same thing as "good".
    To each his own, I suppose.
  • Options
    oldermanolderman Posts: 1,765
    i think she is wrong. i wonder if she likes the monkees? this was my 1st show away from kc and it was excellent!
    Down the street you can hear her scream youre a disgrace
    As she slams the door in his drunken face
    And now he stands outside
    And all the neighbours start to gossip and drool
    He cries oh, girl you must be mad,
    What happened to the sweet love you and me had?
    Against the door he leans and starts a scene,
    And his tears fall and burn the garden green