Copyright question, protecting your original songs

gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,170
edited September 2013 in Musicians and Gearheads
hey i have a question and i know some of you all can answer it for me.

i have recently been doing a lot of writing and i actually have a couple of songs that i think are decent. i plan on opening up a page where i can post the songs. i am thinking like soundclick or something, and i will probably post them on my facebook at some point as well... i might even share one of them on this board at some point.

my question is, how do i protect my work? how do i keep my work from being jacked once i post it? do i need to copyright it or something? what do all of the writers here do?

any pointers would be greatly appreciated. i'm kinda inspired lately and i want to write and record while the creativity is still flowing in me.

thanks everyone :)
"You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I've always heard that the fastest way to do this while you go through the whole process is to put a cd and any sort of notes you have in a self addressed envelope mailed to yourself and not to open it. I could be totally wrong though.
  • I've always heard that the fastest way to do this while you go through the whole process is to put a cd and any sort of notes you have in a self addressed envelope mailed to yourself and not to open it. I could be totally wrong though.

This will not hold up in court.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • hey i have a question and i know some of you all can answer it for me.

i have recently been doing a lot of writing and i actually have a couple of songs that i think are decent. i plan on opening up a page where i can post the songs. i am thinking like soundclick or something, and i will probably post them on my facebook at some point as well... i might even share one of them on this board at some point.

my question is, how do i protect my work? how do i keep my work from being jacked once i post it? do i need to copyright it or something? what do all of the writers here do?

any pointers would be greatly appreciated. i'm kinda inspired lately and i want to write and record while the creativity is still flowing in me.

thanks everyone :)

You want the SR form. http://www.copyright.gov/forms/

Follow the instructions exactly. Send it in. They will contact you, it takes time... 9 times out of 10 you will have to make some corrections on your form after they contact you. Keep in mind it does take time..
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • thanks guys. i am gonna look into it!!
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."