Newb post. Almost a year since Missoula, MT . . .

sunvalleylawsunvalleylaw Posts: 110
edited October 2013 in The Porch
Hi all. My name is Steve, living in Hailey, ID. I just finally joined the 10 club yesterday after wanting to for some time. Glad to be aboard!

First thing I did was download my free bootleg of the 9/30/12 Missoula, MT show that I got to go see with my brother. He flew over from Seattle, and I drove up from Boise, where I was the day before the concert watching my kids play soccer. I tried to drive the most direct route but ending up on miles of dirt road through the mountains on the way there. Once I got there, it was such a good time.

Yesterday, I took a hike and plugged in the bootleg and listened through my headphones. What a great show! So many good memories.

Plus my brother and I got to go mountain biking on the trails near town beforehand. Who else has good memories of that show!?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• What a great weekend that was from the weather being perfect and to see a great Pearl Jam concert classic to getting a tambourine from Eddy was priceless!!!
    Flubby
  • I too attended that show with my brother. We flew in from Boston and spent 4 days in Missoula. In fact I was wearing my Missoula show shirt yesterday :) . I wish we spent more time hiking around, We climbed up to the M behind the Adams Center. The rest of the time we spent just walking around the city.
    Our seats were in the back row behind the stage. It was a very warm night up there! We had a blast behind the stage, so much so that 3 of our shows this fall are in the back.
    2010 - Boston
    2011 - Alpine 1 & 2 --- EV - Providence & Boston - Tres Mts - Boston
    2012 - Missoula
    2013 - Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Worcester 1 & 2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    2014 - Detroit, Moline, St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016 - Greenville, Hampton, Columbia, New York City 1, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley 1
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    Ive never hiked and listened to a bootleg. Sounds nice.
  • On kick out the jsmd on youtube from thst show you can see me
  • PRL1JAMPRL1JAM Posts: 787
    one of the best shows I have attended. Mainly because of the experience that weekend. I got to take a best friend of mine to see his 1st PJ show in Missoula. His parents met in Missoula and later moved and got married in California. This same friend spent years living in Missoula after high school, so he was able to show me all the great things to see there while I was visiting. I fell in love with Missoula during the short time I was there, and I definitely can't wait to visit again soon
  • Edved007Edved007 Posts: 1,033
    Great show and a great weekend. Flew to Spokane from Milwaukee and made the drive to Missoula for a few days.

I was smart enough to keep my water cup security gave me in the front row and Ed poured me some wine after Kick Out The Jams. Seen the band around 20 times, but that was the first GA show and it was everything I was hoping for.
    95' - 7/9
    98' - 6/26, 6/27, 6/29, 8/26, 9/22
    03' - 4/25
    06' - 6/29, 6/30
    07' - 8/05
    09' - 8/23
    11' - 9/03, 9/04
    12' - 9/30
    13' - 7/16, 7/19, 10/21, 10/22, 11/15, 11/16, 12/06
    14' - 06/28, 06/29, 10/1, 10/03, 10/16, 10/17, 10/20, 10/22
    15' - 11/20, 11/22
    16' - 4/21, 4/26, 4/28, 4/29, 5/1, 5/2, 7/9, 8/5, 8/7, 8/20, 8/22
    17' - 4/7
    18' - 7/1, 7/3, 7/5, 8/8, 8/10, 8/18, 8/20, 9/4
    21' - 10/1, 10/2
    22' - 7/12, 7/14, 9/6, 9/8
  • Welcome to the 10C! My wife and I drove up from Colorado and had an amazing road trip to Missoula! It was a fantastic show and we both got to meet Stone, Mike, and Jeff! :D
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...
  • Very similar trip it sounds like. I have seen the band many times and this show will always be one of the best to me. I drove from Portland and met a great friend of mine who drove up from Ketchum to meet me in Missoula (sounds like she took the same dirt road route as you). She was very familiar with Missoula so it made getting around town and going to great places super easy. Really enjoyed Missoula, thought the set list was fantastic, our seats were great. All around fantastic time and is always going to be one of my favorite boots. Had to post because of the very similar experience. Glad you had a good time and got to go to this show. I consider myself lucky to have been there as I have not seen them in a place as small as the Adams Center in years.
  • I too had a great time at this show! I have been to quite a few shows but this was the first PJ show with my 13 year old son. We had a blast! Drove from Billings, we are looking forward to a another road trip to Spokane in November, and to top it off we got GA tickets.
  • DV70007 wrote:
    Very similar trip it sounds like. I have seen the band many times and this show will always be one of the best to me. I drove from Portland and met a great friend of mine who drove up from Ketchum to meet me in Missoula (sounds like she took the same dirt road route as you). She was very familiar with Missoula so it made getting around town and going to great places super easy. Really enjoyed Missoula, thought the set list was fantastic, our seats were great. All around fantastic time and is always going to be one of my favorite boots. Had to post because of the very similar experience. Glad you had a good time and got to go to this show. I consider myself lucky to have been there as I have not seen them in a place as small as the Adams Center in years.

thanks for the replies all. Yeah, that was a great weekend. I drove up from Boise, as I had been over there for my son's soccer game, so tried to find a direct route. My "direct" route did not end up being so direct, but I made it safely after a beautiful drive, having listened to most all of the PJ I own on the way over. I avoided hitting all the deer that were coming out on the road too.

Got there, met my brother who flew in earlier at a hotel over near the airport, and we headed downtown to the Ironhorse for a couple bevs. Seemed like everyone we saw, at the hotel, at the bar, in town, were all there to see the concert. The vibe was really excellent! As I said, got a good bike ride in the day after, got to sample an EXCELLENT wet hopped pale ale at the Big Sky Brewing tasting room next to our hotel, and then back to the Iron Horse for some dinner and off to the show! It was so great!

Now, I am trying to figure out if I can make a PNW show this year. We will be gone on a trip to Hawaii for portland, and seattle is sold out. I am not sure if I can take more time off work to get to Vancouver or Spokane. We shall see! I would love to take my now 16 year old boy who is becoming a fan.
  • cp3iverson wrote:
    Ive never hiked and listened to a bootleg. Sounds nice.

It was. The terrain was sage hills and scree. It felt good to feel the energy of the show as I hiked.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,894
    Flew out to Missoula from Vancouver and it was an absolutely fantastic show - I loved every minute of it in GA. The bootleg sounds awesome. I also really liked Missoula. What a great town, beautiful, and the people were awesome. :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Myself and 3 other Miami area types (forever to be known as the Missoula 4, beacause our flight was canceled and we had to drive the last bit... with a wonderful stopover in Minny with the best burgers!! ) had an adventure and a half... Had the best times outside the shows and got to hang with my dear friend from LA for the show plus a great AET crew who made it an amazing time.

Plus two of my favorite people meet and fell in love :mrgreen:
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • RobbyD462RobbyD462 Posts: 4,809
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Flew out to Missoula from Vancouver and it was an absolutely fantastic show - I loved every minute of it in GA. The bootleg sounds awesome. I also really liked Missoula. What a great town, beautiful, and the people were awesome. :)

We drove out from Victoria!
    Awesome drive,cheap beer and wonderful people all over the place!
    One of those epic weekends!

Thanks again Missoula!

2.5 hours in the merch line up.... :)
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13 -Vancouver,BC-Rogers Arena-5/6/24
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12 -Vancouver,BC-Rogers Arena-5/4/24

• Something about Off He Goes that night.... 8-)

can't believe its been a year
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,722
    Missoula was my first (and so far only) PJ show. Having seen many bands over many years (starting with my first, The Beach Boys in 1964) this was one of the best of a lifetime. Great musical experience. Big time added bonus: the chance to meet some several very wonderful people! :D

Missoula_zps66c5898e.jpg
    Missoulatwo_zpsda8d2222.jpeg
    6fcbe4d8-5e18-4c83-b540-c252383492f6_zps697cdc53.jpg

Wish I had more photos to share!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• One year bump
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • I had to drive down to Twin Falls from Ketchum today for work, and was listening to the bootleg (Again!) as I drove. I have some more work to crank out before the end of the work day, but plan to post some thoughts about how that concert felt to me, after one year. What an awesome show!
  • I flew in from Nashville and met my friend from Denver (whom I met at Alpine the previous year). I have to say that of all my travels to see the band that this one will always be near to my heart. The energy, the joy, dare I say the LOVE surrounding that show was overwhelming. PJ 20 and Wrigley were both amazing experiences, but that Missoula trip... I'll treasure that for the rest of my life.
  • KV4053KV4053 Posts: 1,503
    Hi all. My name is Steve, living in Hailey, ID. I just finally joined the 10 club yesterday after wanting to for some time. Glad to be aboard!

First thing I did was download my free bootleg of the 9/30/12 Missoula, MT show that I got to go see with my brother. He flew over from Seattle, and I drove up from Boise, where I was the day before the concert watching my kids play soccer. I tried to drive the most direct route but ending up on miles of dirt road through the mountains on the way there. Once I got there, it was such a good time.

Yesterday, I took a hike and plugged in the bootleg and listened through my headphones. What a great show! So many good memories.

Plus my brother and I got to go mountain biking on the trails near town beforehand. Who else has good memories of that show!?

good memories is an understatement. I also went with my bro, flying up from Houston. Met some incredible people.
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • I have to say that of all my travels to see the band that this one will always be near to my heart. The energy, the joy, dare I say the LOVE surrounding that show was overwhelming. PJ 20 and Wrigley were both amazing experiences, but that Missoula trip... I'll treasure that for the rest of my life.

Well, you hit on one thing that I wanted to post about. that . . . FEELING that that show had. I have not seen that many PJ shows, certainly less than a lot of you. And I don't go to all that many big rock shows. But I was just blown away by the feeling of that weekend. When I arrived at around 10:30 Saturday night and found my brother, who had flown in earlier and was a couple brews in after having completed one of those mudder runs in Seattle that morning, he was drinking with some folks going to the show, almost anyone I saw at the hotel was going to the show, and most of the folks down at the Iron Horse where we went so I could wind down from the drive was full of PJ people too. now you might expect this given Missoula is not that big a place, but the feeling was different some how.

Like I said, we got up and went mountain biking on the trails North of town, then got ready for the show. As we had dinner and hung out, more and more PJ people were evident. We walked from the Iron Horse over to the campus, and again the vibe struck me. It was like all these strangers were just checking in with one another, happy to see one another whether strangers or not, and were all just excited to get to go. Maybe it was the reason for the event, maybe it was because it was a relatively smaller show, maybe it was because it was in a smaller town. I don't know. What I do know is I agree that I felt a love and respect for one another that I did not expect to find, and a camaraderie in the crowd that I think makes for a really great bootleg. I can feel the energy in that recording.

I don't have many pictures other than this one, from our seats way up in the back, right near the roof.

b9afdfa9-ecfd-4deb-8860-1b774103e6bd_zps54cad6fc.jpg

They may not have been the closest seats, but the view was great, and the sound was awesome! I cannot believe it has been a whole year. Maybe I can find a way to catch the Spokane show this year.
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,722
    I have to say that of all my travels to see the band that this one will always be near to my heart. The energy, the joy, dare I say the LOVE surrounding that show was overwhelming. PJ 20 and Wrigley were both amazing experiences, but that Missoula trip... I'll treasure that for the rest of my life.

Well, you hit on one thing that I wanted to post about. that . . . FEELING that that show had. I have not seen that many PJ shows, certainly less than a lot of you. And I don't go to all that many big rock shows. But I was just blown away by the feeling of that weekend. When I arrived at around 10:30 Saturday night and found my brother, who had flown in earlier and was a couple brews in after having completed one of those mudder runs in Seattle that morning, he was drinking with some folks going to the show, almost anyone I saw at the hotel was going to the show, and most of the folks down at the Iron Horse where we went so I could wind down from the drive was full of PJ people too. now you might expect this given Missoula is not that big a place, but the feeling was different some how.

Like I said, we got up and went mountain biking on the trails North of town, then got ready for the show. As we had dinner and hung out, more and more PJ people were evident. We walked from the Iron Horse over to the campus, and again the vibe struck me. It was like all these strangers were just checking in with one another, happy to see one another whether strangers or not, and were all just excited to get to go. Maybe it was the reason for the event, maybe it was because it was a relatively smaller show, maybe it was because it was in a smaller town. I don't know. What I do know is I agree that I felt a love and respect for one another that I did not expect to find, and a camaraderie in the crowd that I think makes for a really great bootleg. I can feel the energy in that recording.

I don't have many pictures other than this one, from our seats way up in the back, right near the roof.

b9afdfa9-ecfd-4deb-8860-1b774103e6bd_zps54cad6fc.jpg

They may not have been the closest seats, but the view was great, and the sound was awesome! I cannot believe it has been a whole year. Maybe I can find a way to catch the Spokane show this year.

Yes to both of you. The feeling that characterized the Missoula show was outstanding.

sunvalleylaw, the view you had was much like mine. I was in almost the same position in the balcony but maybe a little lower. The view was great and the venue small enough such that pretty much all seats were good.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 9,033
    Great time. Never take anything for granted.

cool farmers market, mad fresh carrots, great breakfast in town. hit Big Sky Brewing Co on the way out of town. love the artwork and free beer samples. Record stores nice to check out. Took some short walks by the river dreaming of all the fish hanging in the current.

Waited most of the night not "camping " to get a fantastic spot on the floor. Got to meet many cool peeps.

Hope to meet some new and old friends this tour.
  • Two years later, and I still have fond memories of this show, how great it and the people were, how awesome the fall weather was, and how excited the band was to be playing in honor of something they believed in. Awesome.
  • Entered for Missoula for me and my high school senior kid, who I have always wanted to take to a show, GA first choice, Reserved second.  Fingers crossed we will get some!  I still listen to the 2012 Missoula show all the time.  Hoping for another good one!

• Way in the back, but still great seats.
  • RBAlive2727RBAlive2727 Posts: 97
    edited February 2018
    Looking for this trip like none other. But wanted to let you know that we are trying to organize a PJ White Water Rafting Day in the Alberton Gorge. Looking to get a head count and what days work better? Either Saturday or Sunday @ 2PM. Please let me know or head to the FB Page Pearl Jam Missoula 2018. 

6/27/06 St. Paul**MN
    11/16/13 OKC**OK
    10/09/14 Lincoln**NE
    10/19/14 St. Paul**MN
    5/02/16 NYC**MSG #2
    8/20/16 Chicago**IL Wrigley #1
    8/13/18 Missoula**MT WA-Grizz Stadium 
    8/18/18 Chicago**IL Wrigley #1 
    4/2/20 Nashville**TN 
    4/4/20 St. Louis**MO