Anyone else put a P90 into a CV tele to make an EV guitar?

sunvalleylawsunvalleylaw Posts: 110
edited September 2013 in Musicians and Gearheads
I am a newbie here and this is my first post. I am a PJ fan from way back, as a Tacoma native through the 90s when I moved to Idaho. I am a home musician who has played out a little. I would love to find some mates to make some punky, indy, grungey rock noise with, but as a Dad with responsibilities, that is not always easy. Still, it is fun to continue to try. That is where this project fits in.

After getting to go see PJ last September in Montana, I became inspired to modify my Classic Vibe Custom tele with a P90 in the neck, and also replace the Alnico 5 pickup in the bridge with something that would complement the P90. A little while ago, I finally tackled the project. Anyone else try this?

Here is a thread compiled of notes and pictures I gathered as I modded my CVC tele.

This is a project that came out of my neck pickup not working and my interest into a P90 in the neck, which led to interest in a "quick connect" type of wiring kit/control unit. I am part way through the project now, and have kept some notes that I am now posting.

History: Basically, my neck pickup wasn't working consistently, probably due to a bad solder joint. So I used it as an excuse to put a P90 in the neck, and replace the bridge pup with one wound to match the P90, both from Bryan Gunsher of BG Pups. I also used a 4 way switch solderless wiring kit from Santellan Sounds.

Stock guitar with new parts laid out.
0997416a-2225-40b8-bc83-4c3c66150abd_zps0836d911.jpg

New pickups:
ba85126f-8acb-400a-a47f-c3e23f10342d_zps16823b3f.jpg

Close up of solderless wiring kit with switches to set for pot values, and wiring connectors:

8af2fb71-cdd2-4fd0-950f-ba0d2f0d22bf_zpsc449d39d.jpg

It came out great! EV inspired, but not a duplicate. Just what I wanted.

I like the new amp style knobs and shorter switch tip too.

dceedfc6-5cca-46a2-bb47-b44ac7a1c2e3_zps34626379.jpg

42506ed5-e46b-4c26-8151-8a2df3b40ba0_zpsad94c912.jpg

All done and super happy with it! Once I got the pickup height dialed in it immediately gave me the sounds I was looking for. Still rock oriented as compared to stock but much better balanced between pickups now as before I adjusted the pickup height. Great growl and raw tones but I can dial back and clean it up now too. . Stoked!! I love the sounds and now am inspired to learn a lot more PJ, and hopefully write some of my own stuff that has some of the same feel and vibe.

Anyone else try a project like this? How did you go about it?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Wow! looks nice! I'll like to know how it sounds
    Manchester 1&2 2012

Waiting for the next PJ euro Tour

Hoping not to get drown in the wave of life
  • Berasapj wrote:
    Wow! looks nice! I'll like to know how it sounds

Thanks! IMO, it sounds great! I like the Alnico3 Rockwind bridge pickup SO much better than the somewhat thin sounding A5 it came with, and the P90 has a big, fat, round tone. I did not mind the tone of the original neck pickup, but really wanted to try a P90. I am glad I did.

I really enjoy playing around with the middle position, having the bite of the bridge combining with the fat round p90 sounds, and in the fourth "in series" position, it gives quite a boost that is fun. Definitely a fun rock guitar that can clean up. Not your Dad's country tele for sure.

Right now I don't have a band situation, so I am just experimenting at home pretty much, but I can't wait to find a few guys and turn it up at stage volume to see what it will do.
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 3,051
    That looks great! What are you using for an amp?
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • dudeman said:

That looks great! What are you using for an amp?

Sorry for the late reply. I use either my really old Fender Concert 4x10 or my Peavey Classic 30 1x12. I really love the guitar through either amp.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    P90s are the perfect pickups. I lean on humbuckers, but when I can only take one guitar with me, it's my LP Jr.
  • I love the knobs.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • BHealyBHealy Posts: 466
    Awesome! I thought about taking on a similar project with parts off of ebay. Haven't really made a move yet though. Good for you!
  • DewieCox said:

P90s are the perfect pickups. I lean on humbuckers, but when I can only take one guitar with me, it's my LP Jr.

Absolutely agree, P90's are absolutely perfect to my ears...
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Thanks guys. I really think grabbing a Classic Vibe Squier and modding from there is a good way to go, and probably less expensive than starting from parts alone, though that might be a really fun project. Glad you guys liked it! I was playing it all day yesterday with the new band we are forming, which will include a few to several PJ covers in the set list. :D
  • Here is mine with P90s

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    Mmustizer said:

Here is mine with P90s

That's tasty. Is that a transparent red or more of a natural finish?
  • it's a transparent red finish. Wood grain shows beautifully under the lights.
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    Looks great! Hmm, I have two teles. One is a squier that was given to me as a beater. Maybe I will experiment with it before messing with "ol faithful" which is my main electric.
    Great job.

Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel