Review of Lightning Bolt in Q Magazine

dottlesdottles Posts: 9,136
edited September 2013 in The Porch
I'm sure it is the first of many magazine reviews but I thought some people might be interested in this.
It is in November's edition of Q Magazine, due to hit shops in the UK on Tuesday (I get early copies).
(I hope you can zoom in on the pics)

Album review
null_zpsb3989345.jpg

Lightning Bolt song comment (top ten songs of the month)
null_zpsd2df958a.jpg

Full page advert
null_zpsabad5060.jpg
2009 - Manchester. 2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London, Berlin, Arras, Werchter. 2011 - PJ20 i & ii, Montreal, Toronto i & ii, Ottawa, Hamilton. 
2012 - Manchester i & ii, Berlin i & ii, Stockholm. 2014 - Amsterdam i & ii, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Leeds, Milton Keynes.
2016 - Boston Fenway i & ii, 2018 - Amsterdam i & ii, Pinkpop, London i & ii, Padova, Krakow, Barcelona, Seattle i & ii. 
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• jcJamjcJam Bogota, Colombia Posts: 103
    thanks dottles :D
    2005: Buenos Aires 2 • 2011: Lima • 2012: Atlanta • 2013: LA x2 • 2014: Detroit, Moline, St. Paul, Milwaukee, Denver, Bridge School x2 • 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival), Buenos Aires, Porto Alegre, Sau Paulo, Brasilia, Belo Horizonte, Rio, Bogota, Mexico • 2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Philly x2 • NYC 2 • Fenway x2 • Wrigley x2 • 2018: Rio, Sau Paulo, Seattle x2, Missoula • 2021: Ohana x3 • 2022: San Diego, LA x2, Phoenix, Oakland x2, Fresno, Sacramento, Vegas, Vienna, PragueAmsterdam 1, Amsterdam 2 • 2023: Indi, Fort Worth x2, Austin x2
  • EarlWelshEarlWelsh Buffalo, NY Posts: 1,103
    "Pearl Jam won't ever change up their alt-rock sound".... What's with all these fucking idiot music journalists? Oh wait, they've always been there.

Thanks for posting! I like the picture. Wish I could read the whole review.
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,719
    I hate when a review focuses on the band's past before getting to the current music. Its a review of the album, not the band.
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR TIX TO MSG NIGHT 2
  • dottlesdottles Posts: 9,136
    EarlWelsh wrote:
    "Pearl Jam won't ever change up their alt-rock sound".... What's with all these fucking idiot music journalists? Oh wait, they've always been there.

Thanks for posting! I like the picture. Wish I could read the whole review.

If you're on fb, various people have shared my photo and you can zoom in on the photo and read the review.
    :)
    2009 - Manchester. 2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London, Berlin, Arras, Werchter. 2011 - PJ20 i & ii, Montreal, Toronto i & ii, Ottawa, Hamilton. 
    2012 - Manchester i & ii, Berlin i & ii, Stockholm. 2014 - Amsterdam i & ii, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Leeds, Milton Keynes.
    2016 - Boston Fenway i & ii, 2018 - Amsterdam i & ii, Pinkpop, London i & ii, Padova, Krakow, Barcelona, Seattle i & ii. 
    I am on Facebook. No PJ friends so wouldn't know where to look.
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    LB doesnt sound REM to me. Its definitely a continuation of the Backspacer sound.... a mixture of "Force of Nature"(lyrics/theme), "Amongst the Waves" and some " Unthought Known".
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
    EarlWelsh wrote:

Look for the pearl jam online.it page :)
  • oysterjaroysterjar NH Posts: 1,235
    Thanks dottles!

Wind this thing up.

dottles wrote:
    EarlWelsh wrote:

Look for the pearl jam online.it page :)

That makes sense....I'm an idiot. Thanks!
  • NAUjackfanNAUjackfan Phoenix Posts: 2,340
    Do you have a close up of the skull logo at the bottom of the ad?
    tumblr_mtr9t5SROk1r0d33so1_400.gif
    Click to visit the Arizona PJ Fans Page

PJ
    PHX 98|ABQ, PHX, Seattle 00|PHX 03|Arras 10|PJ20 1&2 11|Missoula 12|PHX, SD, LA 1&2 13|Denver 14|Telluride 16
    EV
    Vegas 1&2, PHX 12|Ohana 16
    TOTD
    LA 16
  • SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,924
    Oooh nice one!
    Nature drunk and High
    NAUjackfan wrote:

If you click on the photos that dottles has in her initial post then it should open up to photobucket which you can then zoom from there. I too was intrigued by that logo.

Wind this thing up.

NAUjackfan wrote:

Yeah, of course, I've the mag in front of me.
    Unfortunately photobucket's servers are down at the minute but I'll upload when I can
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    thanks Leanne!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    dottles wrote:
    NAUjackfan wrote:

Unfortunately photobucket's servers are down at the minute but I'll upload when I can

Thanks!

PJ
    PHX 98|ABQ, PHX, Seattle 00|PHX 03|Arras 10|PJ20 1&2 11|Missoula 12|PHX, SD, LA 1&2 13|Denver 14|Telluride 16
    EV
    TOTD
    LA 16
    NAUjackfan wrote:
    dottles wrote:
    NAUjackfan wrote:

Thanks!

Photobucket is still down, this is the best I can do atm -
    http://instagram.com/p/egBvthTKSe/#
    dottles wrote:

Photobucket is still down, this is the best I can do atm -
    http://instagram.com/p/egBvthTKSe/#

Perfect. I wonder if that's a new Monkeywrench logo.

PJ
    EV
    TOTD
    LA 16
  • Isn't Pendelum before LTRP? And what is up with the downloads?
  • Can't really read that longer review. Can anyone transcribe?
  • Who cares about Q? We all know the only critics that count are from Pitchfork ; )
  • whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    I love it skull and monkey wrenches!! Now THAT's tatt material!!
    Isn't Pendelum before LTRP? And what is up with the downloads?

Downloads at the end of the review? That's basically how they highlight their favourite songs from the album, those they've identified as being key tracks.
    RL23735 wrote:
    Can't really read that longer review. Can anyone transcribe?

Sorry, I probably won't have time to transcribe. On the photos on fb (and I guess on photobucket when it's back up) you can read the text if zoomed on the photo.
    If not the magazine will be in shops soon.
  • ZidaneZidane Ottawa Posts: 362
    WOW!!! It's been 2 reviews in a row now that Q magazine is giving a good review to a PJ album...!!! That's good for a change!
    You're not what you own - Ian MacKaye, Fugazi

98 - Montreal
    00 - Montreal
    03 - Toronto, Montreal
    04 - Boston (Show #1)
    05 - Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    06 - Toronto (Show #1)
    09 - Toronto, Philly (Show #3-4)
    10 - Cleveland
    11 - Montreal, Toronto (x2), Ottawa
    13 - London (ON), Philly (x2)
    16 - QC - Ottawa

Anyone else that has read this review think it is odd that sirens wasn't mentioned?

Wind this thing up.

• geckogecko Posts: 1,712
    oysterjar wrote:
    Anyone else that has read this review think it is odd that sirens wasn't mentioned?

The guy is put off by Vedder's voice.
    I know.
  • blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,505
    I absolutely MUST have a HQ version of that picture. :mrgreen:
    hook a girl up.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,201
    I feel cheesy for saying it but my favorite part of this is seeing how happy they all look together in that picture. Especially Ed and Stone laughing together.
  • blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,505
    RiotZact wrote:
    I feel cheesy for saying it but my favorite part of this is seeing how happy they all look together in that picture. Especially Ed and Stone laughing together.

na, it's great.
    warm and fuzzes.
    we are so lucky our(my) favorite band can get along so well.
    it makes me :)
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• dottles wrote:
    Isn't Pendelum before LTRP? And what is up with the downloads?

Downloads at the end of the review? That's basically how they highlight their favourite songs from the album, those they've identified as being key tracks.

Ahhh, ok. It sounded like they were made these songs available as downloads on their website or something. I don't have the picture in front of me, which were the highlights according to them? I remember Getaway and ....