Debt Freedom

2»

Comments

• evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,106
    edited January 2014
    Post edited by evsgjamm on
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!
  • evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,106
    ldent42 said:

MayDay10" said:
    That said, since so many of you guys have dealt with student loans, could someone please tell me if you get a student loan, could you pay the whole thing back at once in your first payment? Or do they MAKE you pay back little by little so that they can get the interest money from you?
    In Canada, with the Canada National Student Loan Service, you can pay it all off whenever you like, without penalty.
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!
  • Kw, congrats on getting your stuff in order!
    I know student loans can really bog one down. I have many friends who had difficulty with student loans.

Personally, I was able to really get ahead when I stopped buying new cars. I paid cash for autos that had 30-40k miles. If you really think about the money we spend on transportation and the rate of depreciation of a brand new car, its kinda absurd. I have a nice home and a piece of shit clunker in my driveway. All my neighbors have audis, bmws, mercedes and scoff at my banged up old toyota matrix. But its paid off and has been for 8+ years. I guess thats just personal preference though

Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • kw18kw18 Posts: 3,909

Kw, congrats on getting your stuff in order!
    I know student loans can really bog one down. I have many friends who had difficulty with student loans.

Personally, I was able to really get ahead when I stopped buying new cars. I paid cash for autos that had 30-40k miles. If you really think about the money we spend on transportation and the rate of depreciation of a brand new car, its kinda absurd. I have a nice home and a piece of shit clunker in my driveway. All my neighbors have audis, bmws, mercedes and scoff at my banged up old toyota matrix. But its paid off and has been for 8+ years. I guess thats just personal preference though

Thanks!

I've always heard that about cars, and I agree. My last car I bought new, but it was the only car I've ever bought new and I just wanted a new one. :) It's a Ford Fiesta, so it wasn't too much anyway. I have no need for fancy cars, and my next car will probably be another small little thing with decent gas mileage, maybe used, depending on the deal. But that is going to be at least another four to five years down the line.
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."