Has anyone here ever been the victim of a crime?

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited September 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Any sort of crime.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• B-RockB-Rock Posts: 149
    When i was 16 working at my friends parents newsagency, I was held up by 2 men with shotguns. Put to the ground and had one of the guns aimed at my head. They stole $20,000 from safe. They asked for my phone (i assume so i couldn't call cops as they also cut the phone line). Didn't give them my phone and one of the guys tripped over me as they were leaving me so i take that as a little win.
    Sydney 8-11-06, 18-11-06; Melbourne 20-11-09, Sydney 22-11-09, Manchester 20-06-12, 21-06-12
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,286
    I was in Maine for a convention and someone broke 2 windows on my poor little Bronco II and stole every last thing from inside of it. The biggest bummer were my music tapes and my glasses (this was long time ago!). My homeowners insurance covered the theft and I probably got a lot more out of it than was taken. But still someone had my clothes and underwear and that freaked me out. They knew where I lived and I didn't like that one bit. I'm sure they took what they could sell and chucked the rest but still....fuckers....

Thankfully my crime was petty and naught to do with my person.
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • I once paid money to see The Truman Show at the movie theater. Always felt like a crime victim about that!
    Seriously though I had my room broken into in college and a bunch of stuff stolen.
    Been pretty lucky that these are the examples that come to mind.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,423
    got hit by a drunk driver as I was driving down the street one night. came out of a parking lot right into my side. was like 7:30 at night. no injuries but had to go to court. as soon as I went up to her to exchange insurance information I could tell she was hammered. was a little disconcerting to see the cops giving her a breathalyzer. end up knowing the woman's lawyer who told me she had the highest alcohol level of anyone he ever defended. she pleaded guilty so I didn't have to do anything but still sucked to get car fixed and take a day off to be at court. she ended up getting a huge fine and something like 90 days in jail.
  • One time in high school I was the victim of two separate crimes in one night, wasn't my night I guess. First I was at a football game at school, once it was over and we got back to my car we saw the window had been broken and all my CD's stolen, and they broke my stereo unsuccessfully trying to get it out. After I was done talking to the police and giving them whatever information they needed we went to IHOP. When we left IHOP and were getting in the car, we were jumped by 4 guys out of nowhere. It's all kind of a blur, but I think we fought them off pretty well as the only person with an injury was the smallest guy in the group, the soccer player in a group of otherwise football players. Somebody inside saw and the cook came running out with a spatula, holding it like it was a weapon. :lol: He was a little late to use it though, they were already cutting out.

The good news is that everybody got busted. The idiot who broke into my car was caught, my CD case returned and he paid for my window. The guys that jumped us were in an easily recognizable car, the driver was supposedly not involved in the actual fight and rolled over on his friends.

There have been others, but that's the night that mainly comes to mind.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Robbed by three fuckheads with guns in the street outside my friends house. They took about $16 and a case of beer. One threatened to shoot me in the family jewels. :evil:

My house was robbed in 2012 and about $9k of music equipment was stolen. The cops know who did it but let him/them go because they were too lazy. :evil: :evil:
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Currently in the midst of a shit storm. The basics are such: Good friend committed suicide, while under investigation for pedophilia. A really close family friend. Did many activities with this person. Well respected in the community. Detectives call and inform us of this situation, in middle of it now, and said, "He like girls between ages of 7-15!" My daughter is 11. Find out he videotaped her in our house and in his. Detectives said he did not cross the line with our daughter, but they have approximately 47 "individuals" to determine extent of abuse. He utilised our very own computers and set up cameras, unbeknownst to my entire family. My daughter does not know he was under investigation for this and is super sad he is gone. (We as a family are also saddened for his loss) Appears weird, but once in situation, objectives and opinions change for whatever that is worth. As parents we have allowed her time to express whatever may come out and are awaiting either a bombshell or nothingness. Either way, she has the support of her entire family (immediate) only because we have yet to inform any family member outside of us five. The media is all over this, it spread like wild fire and the fucking media call house to ask question because they have website where he shared information regarding "his students" but it was not pedophilia related and website has consequently been taken down. As a parent I hate receiving the "blocked #" calls and voice-mails.(Detectives) I do not call myself or my daughter, or my family as a whole, "a victim" but a recipient of another experience, which is a crime by societal standards, that is making me wiser as I age. Apologies for my rant and off focused-ness.
  • when i was a freshaman in college i had an old '82 mustang gt with t-tops, and some ass broke out every window, including t-tops, and stole everything that was in the car. my baseball equipment and uniforms, my alpine stereo and speakers, and all of my cassettes, including pearl jam 10 and vs. i was pissed. i can understand breaking one window, but all of them? windshield and hatch window and t-tops?? that is a little excessive. as far as i knew i had no enemies at the times. the guys were never caught but the car got repaired and i got a new uniform and catcher's mitt/equipment. the things i missed the most were my lucky bat and my pearl jam tapes, that i never got back.

i have had friends that were victims of violent crimes, but fortnately i have been able to avoid that. ***knocks wood***
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,181
    I'm trying real hard to think of a time I was a victim of a crime but nothing specific comes to mind knock on some wood. However, my mother once bought some what she thought was gold chains and would have bought more had I not told her not to....it was too good to be true.

To follow up on JSB...I taught preschool years ago and I was softball, baseball coach and I would help out the soccer coach as well. Unknown to me and the other soccer coaches was a pedofile amongst us. He was a teacher from another school who also coached....apparently he would fondle the children he coached and others while on the field and sidelines. This while I was there and parents also, how he was able to do this and no one caught is incredible to me.

Well, after some months of this one of the children came forward and he was later indicted on 11 counts of pedofhilia. He was found guilty and sent away for some number of years. Upon first glance you never think this of the guy but for some small reason he gave me the creeps. None of the children affected were in my class.

Oh, Here in Palm Beach Florida I did have a client that was victimized by Bernie Madoff for 6 million then his brother for 31 million. My clients brother in law for 52 million but most of that money wasn't his. Yikes!

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,777
    yes, Pearl Jam stole my heart!!! :o;):lol:

in all seriosuness no, luckily i have never been (knock on wood).
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • JS81606 wrote:
    Currently in the midst of a shit storm. The basics are such: Good friend committed suicide, while under investigation for pedophilia. A really close family friend. Did many activities with this person. Well respected in the community. Detectives call and inform us of this situation, in middle of it now, and said, "He like girls between ages of 7-15!" My daughter is 11. Find out he videotaped her in our house and in his. Detectives said he did not cross the line with our daughter, but they have approximately 47 "individuals" to determine extent of abuse. He utilised our very own computers and set up cameras, unbeknownst to my entire family. My daughter does not know he was under investigation for this and is super sad he is gone. (We as a family are also saddened for his loss) Appears weird, but once in situation, objectives and opinions change for whatever that is worth. As parents we have allowed her time to express whatever may come out and are awaiting either a bombshell or nothingness. Either way, she has the support of her entire family (immediate) only because we have yet to inform any family member outside of us five. The media is all over this, it spread like wild fire and the fucking media call house to ask question because they have website where he shared information regarding "his students" but it was not pedophilia related and website has consequently been taken down. As a parent I hate receiving the "blocked #" calls and voice-mails.(Detectives) I do not call myself or my daughter, or my family as a whole, "a victim" but a recipient of another experience, which is a crime by societal standards, that is making me wiser as I age. Apologies for my rant and off focused-ness.
    Holy shit. :shock:

I am sorry to learn about what your family is going through. I hope your family has some support systems and caring loved ones that can help you cope with this.

Your story brings up a lot of issues--crimes by someone close to you that you'd never suspect, victimization of your own family, discussion of sensitive and private topics with police, harassment by media or even other outsiders who consider it their business to get all the details. People who have not been through a situation like this or victimized by other crimes really don't have a sense of how horrible it can be and how the victimization can go on and on.

This also brings up something I thought of when I first saw this thread. For many people, having been a crime victim involves memories that they may not want to air, even in the relative anonymity of an internet forum. I commend you for raising people's awareness about problems they may not even suspect. I also understand that many will not want to discuss their experiences in this thread.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • JS81606 wrote:
    Currently in the midst of a shit storm. The basics are such: Good friend committed suicide, while under investigation for pedophilia. A really close family friend. Did many activities with this person. Well respected in the community. Detectives call and inform us of this situation, in middle of it now, and said, "He like girls between ages of 7-15!" My daughter is 11. Find out he videotaped her in our house and in his. Detectives said he did not cross the line with our daughter, but they have approximately 47 "individuals" to determine extent of abuse. He utilised our very own computers and set up cameras, unbeknownst to my entire family. My daughter does not know he was under investigation for this and is super sad he is gone. (We as a family are also saddened for his loss) Appears weird, but once in situation, objectives and opinions change for whatever that is worth. As parents we have allowed her time to express whatever may come out and are awaiting either a bombshell or nothingness. Either way, she has the support of her entire family (immediate) only because we have yet to inform any family member outside of us five. The media is all over this, it spread like wild fire and the fucking media call house to ask question because they have website where he shared information regarding "his students" but it was not pedophilia related and website has consequently been taken down. As a parent I hate receiving the "blocked #" calls and voice-mails.(Detectives) I do not call myself or my daughter, or my family as a whole, "a victim" but a recipient of another experience, which is a crime by societal standards, that is making me wiser as I age. Apologies for my rant and off focused-ness.
    Holy shit. :shock:

I am sorry to learn about what your family is going through. I hope your family has some support systems and caring loved ones that can help you cope with this.

Your story brings up a lot of issues--crimes by someone close to you that you'd never suspect, victimization of your own family, discussion of sensitive and private topics with police, harassment by media or even other outsiders who consider it their business to get all the details. People who have not been through a situation like this or victimized by other crimes really don't have a sense of how horrible it can be and how the victimization can go on and on.

This also brings up something I thought of when I first saw this thread. For many people, having been a crime victim involves memories that they may not want to air, even in the relative anonymity of an internet forum. I commend you for raising people's awareness about problems they may not even suspect. I also understand that many will not want to discuss their experiences in this thread.

It truly is messed up on so many levels. The depth of which we are not even sure of yet. I thank you for your support and yes I did come on here to vent, air my thots, just because I can be anonymous for the most part. The media issue blew my mind. A court order from a judge which took two days to obtain to close records on the investigation due to it being primarily a crime against minors. Media people are sick bastards in my opinion. At what length's is enuff? I could go on for hours about the roller coaster it has been, but I said my peace and shared just enuff that frees up more space for other thots to explore.
  • My truck was stolen out of my driveway.
  • I had George W Bush as my president for 8 years.
    EV Solo Boston 6/16/11
    East Troy 9/3/11
    East Troy 9/4/11
    Amsterdam 6/26/12
    Amsterdam 6/27/12
    Wrigley Field 7/19-20/13
    Worcester, MA 10/15/13
    Worcester, MA 10/16/13
    Hartford, CT 10/25/13
    Seattle, WA 12/06/13
    Denver, CO 10/22/14
    Fenway 2016 #1
    Fenway 2016 #2
    Fenway 2018 #1
    Fenway 2018 #2
    I had George W Bush as my president for 8 years.

That could be said about ANY President. :shock:

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Our house was broken into and robbed when I was in Junior High School.
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
  • g under p wrote:
    I had George W Bush as my president for 8 years.

That could be said about ANY President. :shock:

Peace

Tell that to Al Gore. But, I agree with you :?
    EV Solo Boston 6/16/11
    East Troy 9/3/11
    East Troy 9/4/11
    Amsterdam 6/26/12
    Amsterdam 6/27/12
    Wrigley Field 7/19-20/13
    Worcester, MA 10/15/13
    Worcester, MA 10/16/13
    Hartford, CT 10/25/13
    Seattle, WA 12/06/13
    Denver, CO 10/22/14
    Fenway 2016 #1
    Fenway 2016 #2
    Fenway 2018 #1
    Fenway 2018 #2
  • I had George W Bush as my president for 8 years.
    That's nothing. He was my governor for 8 years before that!
  • Too many incidents to recall them all.. But here's my worst, and funniest..

Worst.. I got a job straight out of college, as a ranch foreman,
    and had brought with me my working cattle dog. She was very very awesome, and I was quite attached to her. This guy that had applied for the position before me was so irritated and angry that he had been out positioned by a female, on top of that they didn't even need the dog he had, cause my dog was ranch born and raised, and learned to move cattle from an entire lineage of working dogs.. He poisoned her. When I went to the owner of the ranch, he was able to get the guy to confess, he was fired and forced to pay all the vet bills!

Craziest... My sister brother and a long time friend were walking down the street; going home after a night at the bar, when this car schreeches up to us, and this tweaker dude jumps out with a bale fork and demands all our money!! We start laughing hysterically at this guy! Which just pusses him off! He starts shaking the bale fork at us and yells you want to die tonight, we just start laughing even harder.. My brother tells him sure it's always a good day to die brother! Then our friend tells him, dude we're from California, we've dealt with knives, guns, baseball bats, brass knuckles.. You bring a pitch fork?!?!?! He got even more pissed a threw the fork down and yelled well you're in Missouri now!! We all said in unison, obviously!!
  • By the way, that second incident was on Wall Street in Joplin mo. Only in Joplincould you get held up with a mini pitchfork!!
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    @JS that is one hell of a story, you have my sympathy. I agree 100% about the media being assholes. I recently watched a short TV season (8 1 hour episodes) about a murder investigation in a small town and they went into the effects of the media a lot. If you are looking for a distraction, the show is called Broadchurch.

@Whispering hands YOU are a better human being than me. I probably would've killed the guy that poisoned your dog. That is so fucking awful I really hope he gets his for that, in some way or another.

Aside from the inevitable cases of harassment, stalking, and so on that comes with the territory of being born female I have thankfully never been the victim of a really violent crime. I've been robbed and very nearly jumped (someone came to my rescue on that one) but it was as a minor, by minors so it doesn't count as a crime; it's considered just kids being kids.

A friend of mine had some really bad luck a couple years ago. All in the same year, his job got robbed (at night when no one was around, no one was hurt besides the owner's pockets) his car got broken into (nothing was stolen, they couldn't get the radio out & he doesn't keep anything in the car) on a separate occasion someone ripped all the emblems off his car, and finally, the big one - his house got broken into and robbed of everything of value that could be carried easily.Electronics, jewelry, etc. They packed shit up into small packages and carried it out. We know this because they left one box behind (it was his xbox.... which would have led to a LOT of teasing if he hadn't been so upset) THAT got reported to the police, the ipad had the security thingy on it so it showed where it was and they wouldn't do anything.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • duska3419 wrote:
    @JS that is one hell of a story, you have my sympathy. I agree 100% about the media being assholes.
    Years ago I worked for an agency that sponsored a support group for families of murder victims. Those folks had been to hell and back. Media camped out on their lawns, being asked "How do you feel?", coverage of the trial (if there was one). I will say that a few them gave examples of people from the media who showed them compassion and kindness.
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Too many incidents to recall them all.. But here's my worst, and funniest..

Craziest... My sister brother and a long time friend were walking down the street; going home after a night at the bar, when this car schreeches up to us, and this tweaker dude jumps out with a bale fork and demands all our money!! We start laughing hysterically at this guy! Which just pusses him off! He starts shaking the bale fork at us and yells you want to die tonight, we just start laughing even harder.. My brother tells him sure it's always a good day to die brother! Then our friend tells him, dude we're from California, we've dealt with knives, guns, baseball bats, brass knuckles.. You bring a pitch fork?!?!?! He got even more pissed a threw the fork down and yelled well you're in Missouri now!! We all said in unison, obviously!!

:lol::lol::lol:
    Too many incidents to recall them all.. But here's my worst, and funniest..

:lol::lol::lol:

I'm coughing uncontrollably :lol:

Peace

• satan_zps38fcab20.png
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Too many incidents to recall them all.. But here's my worst, and funniest..

Worst.. I got a job straight out of college, as a ranch foreman,
    and had brought with me my working cattle dog. She was very very awesome, and I was quite attached to her. This guy that had applied for the position before me was so irritated and angry that he had been out positioned by a female, on top of that they didn't even need the dog he had, cause my dog was ranch born and raised, and learned to move cattle from an entire lineage of working dogs.. He poisoned her. When I went to the owner of the ranch, he was able to get the guy to confess, he was fired and forced to pay all the vet bills!

:shock: :lol::lol::lol:
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • By the way, that second incident was on Wall Street in Joplin mo. Only in Joplincould you get held up with a mini pitchfork!!
    :lol:

i have lived in st louis most of my life....never heard of anyone using a pitchfork in an attempted robbery.

then again, joplin is a 4 hour drive from here, way closer to arkansas, oklahoma, and kansas than to st louis... :lol:
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Early in this yr our house was broken into stole all my wife's jewels not that we had alot of them just very sentimental peices also took my CD booklet and change bottle oh and my sons gold watch , fuckers never to be caught ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    :lol:

i have lived in st louis most of my life....never heard of anyone using a pitchfork in an attempted robbery.

then again, joplin is a 4 hour drive from here, way closer to arkansas, oklahoma, and kansas than to st louis... :lol:
    Joplin is crazy! I lived there for 8 years!! It's a unique area! Almost NO ONE has teeth out there!! Lmao!
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,793
    yes.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14