Teen Kills Himself While Stunt Flying His Model Helicopter

g under pg under p Posts: 18,181
edited September 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... opter.html
A 19-year-old New York City man has died after partially-decapitating himself with his own remote-controlled helicopter.
Roman Pirozek Jr, was pulling a stunt with the chopper at a Brooklyn park Thursday afternoon when he lost control and the RC device flew into his head. The blades sliced off a piece of his skull and slashed his throat.
Pirozek was an avid model helicopter enthusiast, who was vice-president of a local hobby club. He posted several videos of himself flying helicopters on YouTube.
One clip shows him putting his Trex 700 helicopter through incredible tricks. The video culminates with him dropping the $1,500 model from the sky, only to restart the rotor when it is just inches from his head.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... opter.html

This just sad, youngster trying to have some fun and ends up killing himself. :(

Peace
*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
.....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    That was no toy. It was a $1500 nitro helicopter :shock:

Check out this video and it is easy to see how he could have been killed in a split second ...

http://www.businessinsider.com/nyc-teen-killed-by-powerful-model-helicopter-2013-9
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,181
    Jason P wrote:
    That was no toy. It was a $1500 nitro helicopter :shock:

Check out this video and it is easy to see how he could have been killed in a split second ...

http://www.businessinsider.com/nyc-teen-killed-by-powerful-model-helicopter-2013-9

That gas operated copter was no toy alright. I've had my share of remote toys nothing like that high end one but it does show how strong those carbon fiber blades are though. I know my bicycle is as strong being a carbon fiber bicycle in parts.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• That's crazy, sad, and probably bound for Wikipedia's "List Of Unusual Deaths". It certainly fits the bill. I had no idea they had the potential to be THAT dangerous. Kill somebody with blunt force trauma by slamming it into their head at full speed I probably would have believed, but not decapitation.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    What's scary is that this guy is using this in public, putting other peoples' lives at risk.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • JK_Livin wrote:
    What's scary is that this guy is using this in public, putting other peoples' lives at risk.

I assumed he was probably doing that trick they discussed where he killed it, let if fall, then restarted it inches above his head. Putting his life in danger. I didn't read anything about him buzzing it around others heads. He sounds like a hobbyist (an overly confident one maybe), not somebody out creating mischief with it. I didn't watch all the videos though.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    My brother-in-law whacked me in the eyeball with one of these last Xmas ...

s031-o05t.jpg

I heard a buzzing, turned around, and instantly got hit. I didn't give him too much crap because they are almost impossible to fly straight for more then ten seconds.
    That's crazy, sad, and probably bound for Wikipedia's "List Of Unusual Deaths". It certainly fits the bill. I had no idea they had the potential to be THAT dangerous. Kill somebody with blunt force trauma by slamming it into their head at full speed I probably would have believed, but not decapitation.

....Or that show 1000 Ways To Die. I believe this copter took off the top of his head, then bled to death.

Peace

• Even an experienced adult can be killed with one of those things. My BIL flies gas powered planes but only at flying ranges. A man who was a regular at one was killed while flying a helicopter.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
    Even an experienced adult can be killed with one of those things. My BIL flies gas powered planes but only at flying ranges. A man who was a regular at one was killed while flying a helicopter.

Like with everything else in this life one MUST consider ALWAYS safety first. After reading about this I've made the right decision in having remote race cars and boats.

Peace

• So sad. Those gas powered RC vehicles can be treacherous. My husband broke his ankle when his Revo slammed into it at full speed after an unpredicted surge.
    2003 Dallas
    2013 Wrigley
    2013 Dallas
    2013 Oklahoma City
    2013 Seattle

How I choose to feel is how I am.
    There's just one word I still believe...and it's LOVE.
    "Take care of one another..." -EV
  • Oops.
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    so sad. I saw this on NY1 and thought for sure they were missing some info. calling this a 'remote controlled helicopter' while technically true is a wee bit misleading i think, it's hardly a toy.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435