Options

Flu shot !

Comments

• Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,765
    I firmly believe it is a scam and it's only purpose is to funnel even more money through insurance companies and doctors.

They openly admit that it's effectiveness is 50% at best.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    know1 wrote:

Depends on the season and how many strains they include/miss.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    BinFrog wrote:
    know1 wrote:

Depends on the season and how many strains they include/miss.
    An umbrella doesn't keep me completely dry but I still use one when it rains.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    I gotta get one so my grandson don't get sick while he recoups.
    06/12/03,06/13/03
    10-05-04 09-09-05
    05-16-06-5-17-06-5-19-06,06-26-06-06-27-06 05-03-10 09-04-11
    07/19/13 11-15-13
  • Options
    don smith wrote:
    I gotta get one so my grandson don't get sick while he recoups.

exactly, just like I said, not being able to get the shot over the years, I have to depend on others to immunize themselves so that I am not exposed to it. For those who are at risk of respiratory problems (sick children, the elderly, etc.) it is imperative that they not be exposed to the flu. That's when it becomes deadly.

I haven't had the flu in over 15 years but the last time I had it, I thought I was going to die, I was so sick.
  • Options
    shortstack wrote:
    Who here gets it , i just got mine weird thing though the Black guys i work with are all against it they say it's a conspiracy of some sort but none of them can tell me exactly what that cospiracy is :? you can refuse to get it but you as an employee of this hospital will be mandated to wear a mask at all times while working ....and they give me a sticker on my ID badge indentifying that i did get the shot ....

only the black guys?

yeah most of the people i've talked to about this the hispanics & black emplyees are the one's who are refusing it ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    shortstack wrote:
    Who here gets it , i just got mine weird thing though the Black guys i work with are all against it they say it's a conspiracy of some sort but none of them can tell me exactly what that cospiracy is :? you can refuse to get it but you as an employee of this hospital will be mandated to wear a mask at all times while working ....and they give me a sticker on my ID badge indentifying that i did get the shot ....

only the black guys?

yeah most of the people i've talked to about this the hispanics & black emplyees are the one's who are refusing it ...
    Kind of a long story but for many in the African American community there's a lot of mistrust of public health and the government. I wouldn't strictly call the beliefs about health care urban myths but after the Tuskegee Experiment became public knowledge, many people continued to assume that the government shouldn't be trusted with your health:
    The Tuskegee Syphilis Study significantly damaged the trust of the black community toward public health efforts in the United States. As a result, many distrust the medical community and are reluctant to participate in programs such as organ donation. The study may also have contributed to the reluctance of many poor black people to seek routine preventive care. However, recent studies have challenged the degree to which knowledge of the Tuskegee experiments have kept black Americans from participating in medical research. Distrust of the government because of the study contributed to persistent rumors in the black community that the government was responsible for the HIV/AIDS crisis by introducing the virus to the black community.

I encountered this a lot when I was an HIV educator.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    Never got one in my 37 years of life.

Me also, have had the flu maybe 3 times in my entire life.
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    i don't ever get one ... i try to avoid pharmaceuticals as much as possible ...

not based on any science but to me the concept of the flu shot makes no sense ... you take last year's strain and you kind of guess what the next year's strain is gonna be and try to inject a small amount of it into people so they can develop the anti-bodies? ... to me, all you are doing is fast forwarding the mutation of the virus which ultimately will lead to the strains that will cause the larger pandemics ... instead of allowing the flu virus to run its course and allow our bodies to naturally fight against the strains - we are artificially forcing its mutation, into areas that could be fatal ...
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:

not based on any science but to me the concept of the flu shot makes no sense ... you take last year's strain and you kind of guess what the next year's strain is gonna be and try to inject a small amount of it into people so they can develop the anti-bodies? ... to me, all you are doing is fast forwarding the mutation of the virus which ultimately will lead to the strains that will cause the larger pandemics ... instead of allowing the flu virus to run its course and allow our bodies to naturally fight against the strains - we are artificially forcing its mutation, into areas that could be fatal ...

If this theory works for you that's fine like you said it's not based on any Science fact just your own ideas , i won't go into a flu season with out it ...
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    Got one free at work today. Never used to get them until I got the flu 2 years ago. Shivering and puking for a couple of days in a row changes a man's mind.
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    I saw this thread and forgot that my work was offering them Monday and Tuesday. I was off. I'll have to reschedule and get mine later.
  • Options
    DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    The vaccine is a "best guess" on which strain of flu is going to hit during flu season, so what are the percentages of effectiveness? If I get the shot will I have a 3-7% less chance of getting the flu? Or is it more like a 20% less chance? At what point does it make it worth it? Damn it, my head hurts.

I need a shot.

Whiskey please.

• Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    Not for me.never have ,never will.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    I never used to get a flu shot. I think I've had 3 in my life, and took the last couple of decades off. But in January of this year a good friend got the H1N1 and just about died. Spent over a month in the hospital, at least half of that time in critical care on a ventilator and in a coma. The last couple of weeks of his stay he was doing speech, physical and occupational therapy to learn to function again. Needless to say, I got the flu shot right away since I was visiting him in the hospital daily. I will be getting this year's flu shot this week or next, and plan to get one every year for the rest of my life. That experience scared the shit out of me.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    I get the flu shot every year, both because my workplace requests it and because I think it is valuable. I have a chronic health condition that would be seriously worsened if I got influenza. I also work in a health care setting and I believe it would be irresponsible of me to risk passing along infection. No, it isn't perfect, and the efficacy varies from year to year but it gives us a better chance of not getting the flu, or at least of getting a less intense form of it. Many people who believe they got the flu despite immunization actually just got a bad cold.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    I don't get the shot, I don't deal with the public on a daily basis so I don't see the need. If I did interact with people everyday, then I probably would. Besides, I haven't gotten the flu, and when I do get sick, it's usually a respiratory infection, and then I take homeopathic meds for it.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,458
    i got mine last monday..and its for free here to all people
    a doc writes u a prescription and u get it for free
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,436
    Getting mine later today i think i will ask if they have the Ebola shot ready yet ...
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,836
    Nope, Nope, Nope never have never will and I had the flu so bad once I had to go to the hospital back in '96. Still not putting that crap in my body on a regular basis on a crap shoot that it will actually work(the '12-'13 shot didn't even contain any of the strains that actually ended up presenting that yr). I've worked in healthcare for over 11 yrs - no flu and no flu shot, although I now have to wear a mask in patient care areas but will do that over the shot anyday.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    edited October 2014

BinFrog" said:
    [quote="know1"]They openly admit that it's effectiveness is 50% at best.
    Depends on the season and how many strains they include/miss.[/quote]
    An umbrella doesn't keep me completely dry but I still use one when it rains.
    dear. who princess,
    quoting here is a pain in my ass
    anyhow

i joke around about guys using umbrellas & how i'd never be caught dead w/ a frickin umbrella. fancy ass office business shits w/ their bullshit outfits use umbrella unless they're women & that's perfectly acceptable

i'd also get a flu shot when hell freezes over
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options

Getting mine later today i think i will ask if they have the Ebola shot ready yet ...

Just make sure they have that one perfected before you agree to test it...
  • Options
    polaris_x said:

polaris_x, I'd agree with you if you were talking about overuse/misuse of antibiotics, which certainly can select for strains of bacteria that are resistant to antibiotics and thus harder to kill; however, the flu shot doesn't try to kill any influenza viruses directly, it just (ideally) allows your immune system to be ready to react quickly if you are exposed, so there is no selection pressure applied. Or to be more accurate, the selection pressure is no different than it already is when your immune system reacts to an antigen.

Regardless of whether you choose to get a flu shot or not, I wish all the PJ family a flu-free season :)>-
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    My mother gets a flu shot and gets sick from it and still catches bugs and gets sick, probably not as severe but I have my doubts abouts these jabs
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    I get the shot. I don't get the flu. Am I just that lucky?
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893

I get the shot. I don't get the flu. Am I just that lucky?

you probably already have a good immune system
  • Options
    JWPearl said:

My mother gets a flu shot and gets sick from it and still catches bugs and gets sick, probably not as severe but I have my doubts abouts these jabs

The flu shot only protects against influenza, not against all the other viruses out there, and there are a lot of them.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,423
    One zinc and one vitamin C a day...
    I got a sinus infection this past Sunday, haven't been sick in 3 years prior to that. Never had the flu, never got the shot, never will. You can group me in with the conspiracy theorists, but I just don't trust anything the government tries to coax on the entire nation.
  • Options

One zinc and one vitamin C a day...
    I got a sinus infection this past Sunday, haven't been sick in 3 years prior to that. Never had the flu, never got the shot, never will. You can group me in with the conspiracy theorists, but I just don't trust anything the government tries to coax on the entire nation.

How do you feel about clean water, food free of contamination, and a national postal service? (not that the government always succeeds in these, but I believe they aim in the general direction).
  • Options
    I have never had a flu shot even though I should since I am a teacher. I don't like the idea of the flu shot so I just wash my hands A LOT.