Options

Opening acts

vedderfan02vedderfan02 Posts: 186
edited September 2013 in The Porch
Do you think they'll have an opening act for every show?
2003: Nashville, Lexington, St.Louis
2004: St. Louis
2006: Cincinnati
2008: Columbia, VA Beach
2009: Chicago x2, Atlanta (EV) x2
2010: St. Louis, Noblesville
2011: St.Louis (EV), Alpine Valley x2
2012: Pensacola, Atlanta, Memphis (EV)
2013: Chicago, OKC
2014: Memphis
2016: Lexington, chicago x2
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    White DiscussionWhite Discussion Melissa Texas Posts: 2,812
    No just us folks on the West Coast!!! I'm just pumped that I'll get to see Midlake at my 2 shows 8-)
  • Options
    No just us folks on the West Coast!!! I'm just pumped that I'll get to see Midlake at my 2 shows 8-)
    Good you guys on the west can have shithoney and the other band, I'll have time to take a piss and get something to drink...then piss again. Opening acts suck for the most part, especially when PJ keeps bringing Mudhoney along. Never heard of Midlake so I can't judge.
    5/2/2003 - Buffalo, NY
    5/9/2010 - Cleveland, OH
    9/11/2011 - Toronto, ONT
    9/12/2011 - Toronto, ONT
    7/19/2013 - Wrigley Field
    10/11/2013 - Pittsburgh, PA
    10/12/2013 - Buffalo, NY
  • Options
    No love for Mudhoney? I hope we get them at Brooklyn. ;)

They've kicked arse both times I've seen them: once supporting PJ and the other in our small local pub with 100 people. For a band like them to suddenly popup and do a show in a small country town (population 2,000-3,000) was awesome in itself. After they show they just walked offstage and into the audience and had drinks and chatted with people. The gig is now one of those 'local legends' - the place is not big enough to hold all the people who now claim they were there :)

Their music and style probably goes over better in a cramped pub environment rather than a stadium - and I think they'd be the first to attest they are not a stadium rock band. But to call them shithoney is a bit harsh, they've pushed a few punk/sonic boundaries and even if their sound and style is a little further to the left that one likes, I rate them and really enjoy their shows and albums. Like a few other bands I like, they were probably more influential than popular. Watch "I'm Now", (their PJ20) and then maybe you'll get it - or at least you'll get why I like them.

Hanging out to see them at the Big Day Out in Perth.

Watch 'I'm Now', their PJ20 and then maybe you'll get it :)
  • Options
    The only problem I have with bands like mudhoney is Ed will invite them back out for sure and they'll likely ruin a good song. Haha
    2003: Nashville, Lexington, St.Louis
    2004: St. Louis
    2006: Cincinnati
    2008: Columbia, VA Beach
    2009: Chicago x2, Atlanta (EV) x2
    2010: St. Louis, Noblesville
    2011: St.Louis (EV), Alpine Valley x2
    2012: Pensacola, Atlanta, Memphis (EV)
    2013: Chicago, OKC
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Lexington, chicago x2
  • Options
    way over opening acts period.

the band is at a point where they dont need them anymore and it's not like an opening act factors into your decision to buy the headlining act's ticket and if it does you have issues.
  • Options
    rockpantsrockpants BC Posts: 838
    It's not that I dislike Mudhoney, but it's the same opener we had in 2011. I was hoping for someone new and/or different.
  • Options
    way over opening acts period.

the band is at a point where they dont need them anymore and it's not like an opening act factors into your decision to buy the headlining act's ticket and if it does you have issues.

I believe Pearl Jam has opened for both U2 and The Stones and that wasn't to help move tickets. Sometimes Bands like to have an opener rather than have the crowd just sit in silence until the band is ready to go on.

Also I enjoyed Ben Harper's set in 2009 and was glad he was in the building. I wouldn't have paid to see him other wise but it was cool to see him play the slide guitar exclusively.
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    4/10/2008 EV Solo (****1/2)
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
    10/6/2009 LA III (***** Cornell!!!)
  • Options
    Nothing wrong with a good opening act, as long as it doesn't shorten their set at all. Ben Harper, MMJ, Band of Horses...all good acts. I remember seeing Sonic Youth open up in 2000 and Rancid in 1998, both good shows. It's not like you have to sit there and listen to it, if you don't like it.