Options

8mm tape tribute to neil young?

guitar101guitar101 Sutton, ON Posts: 397
edited August 2008 in Given To Fly (live)
i might be over analyzing this but does anyone else think that the 8mm tape player on stage was an homage to the neil young massey hall bootleg? if anyone has ever seen the video neil has a similar looking device on stage w/ him. either way, it was cool how he used it on hard sun, but seeing it on stage AT massey hall just reminded me that neil young had one as well. Also seemed to be part of the onstage "set" to me ...along w/ the suitcase on the chair etc....unless that suitcase actually serves a purpose.
2005-9-12 London, ON
2006-5-09 Toronto
2007-8-03 (ed w/ ben harper) chicago / 2007-8-05 chicago
2008-8-12 (ed solo) toronto
2009-10-08 (ed solo) Albany
2011-9-11 Toronto / 2011-9-12 Toronto
2013-7-16 London, ON / 2013-7-19 Chicago / 2013-10-12 Buffalo
2016-5-11 Toronto, On / 2016-5-13 Toronto, On
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    guitar101 wrote:
    i might be over analyzing this but does anyone else think that the 8mm tape player on stage was an homage to the neil young massey hall bootleg? if anyone has ever seen the video neil has a similar looking device on stage w/ him. either way, it was cool how he used it on hard sun, but seeing it on stage AT massey hall just reminded me that neil young had one as well. Also seemed to be part of the onstage "set" to me ...along w/ the suitcase on the chair etc....unless that suitcase actually serves a purpose.

I definitely agree. The whole stage set-up was "inspired" by Neil. From the 8mm recorder (which looked like a prop to me) to the way his instruments were surrounding him. Almost exactly the way Neil did/does it.
  • Options
    vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    You've never seen a reel-to-reel analog tape deck before? Not a film projector...it's possibly a 4 track (or 2 track) tape recorder...it has the backing track for Hard Sun...Often the best sound quality was a really high-end reel-to-reel...

Probably not a nod to Neil....and I believe the big-headed sweepy guy is Ed...
    be philanthropic
  • Options
    You've never seen a reel-to-reel analog tape deck before? Not a film projector...it's possibly a 4 track (or 2 track) tape recorder...it has the backing track for Hard Sun...Often the best sound quality was a really high-end reel-to-reel...

Probably not a nod to Neil....and I believe the big-headed sweepy guy is Ed...

I don't think anyone said it was a projector, it's fairly obvious that it's a reel to reel. I would be very surprised if it actually played the backing track to Hard Sun though. My thoughts are that it is a prop. The big-headed sweepy guy reminds of the Road-Eyes from Live Rust.
  • Options
    vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    Sorry....I was pretty sure that 8mm refers to film not audio tape...

I'm not totally convinced the backing track is really on there as it did not appear to be plugged in or connected to anything...at least from where I was sitting at the Vancover shows... Not that it matters...I'm just glad that some people still use/have those things...just dragged my old one out of my parents' basement at the end of last year...
    be philanthropic
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,785
    All I know is Eddie has always traveled with an 8mm camera. He has used it to record odd shit here and there as seen on the PJ movie and Imagine DVD.