So I was asked to write a song for a friends wedding

ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
edited September 2013 in Musicians and Gearheads
What do you guys think? This is the original version. I keep going back and forth on whether to add piano and strings or if I like the stripped down version.

https://soundcloud.com/brianzilmmusic/t ... irl-in-the
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• What do you guys think? This is the original version. I keep going back and forth on whether to add piano and strings or if I like the stripped down version.

https://soundcloud.com/brianzilmmusic/t ... irl-in-the
    i like it. the words are very sweet. especially in the last verse. i love how the person in the song doesn't want to miss a single breath. that describes perfectly how i have felt about someone so that line hit me hard. i think anyone who has ever been in love can identify with that.

do you have a version with piano and strings that you can post?

to be quite honest, i think it would sound better even more stripped down than it already is. just you and an acoustic guitar OR a piano.

it is such a sweet song that i think if you add too much to it, it would be taking away from the lyrics, and in a wedding song, the lyrics should be easy for people to hear. you want to make that grandma cry with a wedding song.

i think you did a very nice job on this song. i can tell that you are close with the person that asked you to write it. you know their relationship. and that is very awesome :) i could not even begin to write a song for my best friends wedding.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Thanks, gimmie!

I haven't finished a full version of the song yet, but I like your idea of even stripping it down more. It's a special song to me. While the song is for the wedding, I wrote it thinking of how I felt when I was a groom (obviously before the divorce..lol) and also about a girl I dated and we went to a wedding together and just thinking how even though there was a bride that everyone was looking at, that I felt I was with the most beautiful girl.
  • Thanks, gimmie!

I haven't finished a full version of the song yet, but I like your idea of even stripping it down more. It's a special song to me. While the song is for the wedding, I wrote it thinking of how I felt when I was a groom (obviously before the divorce..lol) and also about a girl I dated and we went to a wedding together and just thinking how even though there was a bride that everyone was looking at, that I felt I was with the most beautiful girl.
    no problem man. we are all here for the the same reasons, and one of them is to post our songs and get feedback. it is very brave to post something you have written. i have been playing for 18 years and i don't think i have anything good enough to share here. so hat's off to you for that.

i approach writing like this....
    everything has to be there in that song for a reason. every decision i make about a song has to have a purpose. why do i put reverb on the vocals? does it need to be there? does it serve the song? do i add drums or is it better off me keeping my own time with my strumming? do i play it on an acoustic or do i play it on an electric with a clean tone? do i repeat that line or let it stand on it's own? for me writing is very deliberate, and i don't add things just to add them or just because someone thinks it should be a certain way. that is YOUR song and YOUR art. do what you think you need to do with it, ya know?

i like the idea of this one being stripped down to a piano or a guitar. in my opinion, the song is not calling out for more to be added to it. ya know what i'm saying? some songs sound empty or some songs need something added to it to make them powerful. i think your lyrics and sentiments are powerful enough on their own that you do not need too much in the way of instrumentation.

that is a great story. thanks for sharing. i know exactly what it is like to go someplace with a woman and know that you are there with the most beautiful women there. that she is the only person there that really matters, and you don't want to miss a breath. it happened to me a few weekends ago. i think that is why i identify with your song so much.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."