Options

NO VAGINAS PLEASE.. IT OFFENDS ME

catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
edited September 2013 in A Moving Train
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyat ... male-bits/

Israel Alters Science Textbooks For Religious State Schools, Deleting All the Icky Female Bits

September 3, 2013 By Terry Firma 33 Comments

Until this year, all state schools in Israel used the same science books. Heading into the new school year, however, that will no longer be the case, as the government has decided that religious schools deserve their own science books, which will be dumbed down for students’ spiritual protection.

In the United States, the state censorship of textbooks has focused mostly on suppressing political ideas and boosting the unintelligent notion of Intelligent Design. In Israel, it’s predominantly the human body — the female human body, in particular — that has caused a case of cooties at the highest levels, such that a chapter on reproduction will be deleted, along with references to menstruation.

Via Haaretz:

The Education Ministry has asked textbook publishers to eliminate chapters on human reproduction, pregnancy prevention and sexually transmitted diseases from science textbooks used in state religious junior high schools as well as from their teacher manuals. … Publishing sources said that, after they had agreed in principle, the ministry began requesting additional changes, such as eliminating any reference to the female body throughout the book, softening any text or image liable to offend religious sensibilities and using examples more suitable to a religious lifestyle. As a result, one publishing executive said, some publishers who originally agreed to make the revisions changed their minds after realizing their scope. …

The ministry requested the changes at the urging of officials in the state religious school system. “The ministry capitulated to one of the most extremist factions of the religious public,” one publishing executive charged. Another said the changes resembled those demanded by ultra-Orthodox schools. … Removing the chapter on reproduction means that at no point during their schooling will religious students learn about reproduction from a scientific standpoint, unless they take biology in high school.

It should be noted that the non-censored textbooks are already fairly sparse on information and context. For example, illustrations of reproductive organs like the ovaries, the fallopian tubes, and the uterus are shown by themselves, without clear visual pointers how they connect to the rest of the body.

But wait, there’s more.

Science textbooks aren’t the only ones being altered for use in state religious schools, which have long had different history and literature curricula than the secular schools. About 18 months ago, the ministry decided to alter their Hebrew language textbooks as well. For instance, all women pictured in these texts now wear head coverings, and all the girls wear skirts.

Not everyone is taking the changes lying down. Zahava Gal-On, the chairwoman of Meretz, the social-democratic political party, fulminated that

“More than 200,000 children today are in the state-religious education system, which is 200,000 future citizens of the State of Israel who will grow up with ignorance and with the sense that the human body, or to be more specific, the body of the woman, is something dirty.”

It’s a big loss for these students, considering that they’ll miss out on learning basic facts about the human body — all on account of religious ultra-modesty that has no place in the classroom.
hear my name
take a good look
this could be the day
hold my hand
lie beside me
i just need to say
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    pussies.
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,670
    icky? No, icky thump. Get real, editors!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    youd think theyd never been inside one. 8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,149
    :lol:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    This begs the question: In anatomy text book photos, what are they going to put there?

Some suggestions:

-Digital fuzz
    -A swirling galaxy (or for really cosmic effect, a black hole!)
    -The all-seeing eye of knowledge
    -A four leaf clover (feelin' lucky?)
    -A turning spiral
    -And then there's always, last but not least, a fig leaf!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    In a sense, yes. My art has been commended as being strongly vaginal which bothers some men. The word itself makes some men uncomfortable. Vagina.

Yes, they don't like hearing it and find it difficult to say whereas without batting an eye a man will refer to his dick or his rod or his Johnson.
  • Options
    Jason P wrote:
    In a sense, yes. My art has been commended as being strongly vaginal which bothers some men. The word itself makes some men uncomfortable. Vagina.

Yes, they don't like hearing it and find it difficult to say whereas without batting an eye a man will refer to his dick or his rod or his Johnson.

yeah, yeah, ohhhh yeah
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    MotoDCMotoDC Posts: 947
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNCHcge3B_g
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,216
    Well if they dont want to teach it in schools, perhaps there's a market for Mattel to make an anatomically correct Barbie and Ken with working parts? (oh no, bad idea jon, remember your personal rule to stay out of vagina threads!) :lol:
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    Are they republicans?
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    I know what to do. Let's just get rid of vaginas completely. The human race doesn't need them. Pretending they don't exist just isn't enough.
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,216
    Kat wrote:
    I know what to do. Let's just get rid of vaginas completely. The human race doesn't need them. Pretending they don't exist just isn't enough.

I never thought I'd say this to a moderator, but those are fightin words Kat. Put'em up, put up yer dukes! :lolno:
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    :lol: this thread is making my sides hurt from the laughter. My kids come home with medical books that would put those books to shame. However, they know more about the male, female anatomy than most adults here in the states.
    I can't believe this will continue.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    literally

maybe they were not even born this way nor do they enjoy sex. i am amazed at the bullshit women endure as well as children trying to get an education. these folks involved in editing out the female anatomy in books should be ashamed of themselves in a big way. what a bunch of cowards with little to no respect for femininity

maybe they might should try enjoying one sometime

or seven
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772

Brilliant. I remember that episode...can you imagine the cast on the day of filming?
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    Kat wrote:
    :evil:

just me speaking here but um......

i chadwick worshop vagina & the ground she walks on or sits on & whatever. i been saying for years, "just please make me the king of the world, all would be well"
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    Wow, that's crazy. I guess education weakens the orthodox mind.
  • Options
    mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206

This episode was hysterical....
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • Options
    I can't believe what I read... I guess nothing should surprise me anymore.
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • Options
    g under p wrote:
    :lol: this thread is making my sides hurt from the laughter. My kids come home with medical books that would put those books to shame. However, they know more about the male, female anatomy than most adults here in the states.
    I can't believe this will continue.

Peace

I agree completely, health class has really changed and its quite advanced. I'm proud of my school system.
  • Options
    They are worried about this :? Syria is about to dropp all kinds of bombs on them ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    pussies.
    Excellent 8-)
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,873
    We're still OK with boobs, right?

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,447
    mikalina wrote:

This episode was hysterical....

my first thought too, after jason p's comment :lol:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    JimmyV wrote:
    We're still OK with boobs, right?

and penises... lets not forget them. ;)8-)

when the creation myth has man being made from dirt and woman from adams rib then the eradicating of vaginas from textbooks shouldn't be surprising.. it seems it was just a matter of time. who made us??? God did. how did we get here? we shot out of Gods finger.

VAGINA!!!!!
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Look out, liberated 60's... it's the mighty 10's VAGINA THREAD! :D

(With guest appearances from boobs and penises. :) )

• Options
    I'm thinking the world would end without vaginas .... just my opinion. :P
  • Options
    brianlux wrote:
    This begs the question: In anatomy text book photos, what are they going to put there?

Some suggestions:

-Digital fuzz
    -A swirling galaxy (or for really cosmic effect, a black hole!)
    -The all-seeing eye of knowledge
    -A four leaf clover (feelin' lucky?)
    -A turning spiral
    -And then there's always, last but not least, a fig leaf!

the face of Jesus. :lol:
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    I know JUST how they feel. :cry:

those things scare me.