Toronto International Film Festival (2013 Edition)

jasonbouchard88jasonbouchard88 Posts: 369
edited September 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Tomorrow marks the beginning of the 2013 edition of the Toronto International Film Festival and will continue until September 15. Will any of you go see a movie this year?

For the first time ever, I will go see a movie at TIFF. The movie is the world premiere of Metallica: Through the Never on Monday, September 9 at 7:30 PM. A friend of mine is volunteering at TIFF again and when I found about that this movie would be shown at TIFF, I asked her some details about TIFF since I have never seen a movie at TIFF before, nor did I actually come anywhere close to the red carpet and showed her a trailer. She too was interested. About a week later, she told me that she has vouchers that she can use to exchange for movies and I told her that I would come if she was able to get some for the Metallica movie. She was successful.

Also, Metallica will be on hand for the red carpet premiere, to introduce the film and spend some time in Toronto to chat with the press.

http://www.metallica.com/news/20130820-5830.asp

Finally, here's the trailer for Metallica: Through the Never:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4IhWJ8r7_4

I am saying to myself that it can either be really good or be really bad, but I will only know once I go see the movie.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    I'm not sure what i just watched :? , so not a concert movie, something new altogether?
  • I'm not sure what i just watched :? , so not a concert movie, something new altogether?

i think it looks more like a concert/movie. based on that trailer it would appear that Metallica is playing the soundtrack to this kid's excursions throughout the night (the movie part) but they are also showing footage from Metallica's show(s) that actually happened so there is concert footage to it (making the concert part of things). I'm not sure how the movie part of it will be but the premise certainly seems pretty unique and original (as long as it doesn't end with James throwing the kid a guitar pick or something). this is all pure speculation on my part of course.
    it's a fragile thing, this life we lead.

05/24/06, 06/28/08, 06/30/08, 05/17/10, 09/07/11, 09/11/11, 09/12/11, 09/14/11, 09/15/11, 10/15/13, 10/16/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/25/13, 10/27/13, 05/05/16, 05/08/16, 08/07/16, 09/02/18

ev: 06/15/11
  • I'm not sure what i just watched :? , so not a concert movie, something new altogether?

i think it looks more like a concert/movie. based on that trailer it would appear that Metallica is playing the soundtrack to this kid's excursions throughout the night (the movie part) but they are also showing footage from Metallica's show(s) that actually happened so there is concert footage to it (making the concert part of things). I'm not sure how the movie part of it will be but the premise certainly seems pretty unique and original (as long as it doesn't end with James throwing the kid a guitar pick or something). this is all pure speculation on my part of course.

Well said. The concert Metallica played, dubbed as "The Full Arsenal", first started with EIGHT SHOWS in Mexico City in late July and early August last year. A week later, they played two shows in Edmonton, Alberta on August 17 & 18, 2012 and August 24 & 25, 2012 in Vancouver, B.C (where the concert is filmed, though there were probably some concert footage filmed in Edmonton as well). They also played a 3rd Vancouver show on August 27, where they didn't play a full concert but more for re-shoots and tickets were only $5 each and all the money for that show went to charity. This is, to date, the biggest stage production Metallica has ever done. Here's the plot that I found on Wikipedia:

"As Metallica performs a roaring live set for fans in a sold-out arena, a young roadie named Trip is sent on a mission to meet a disabled truck and retrieve a particular item. However, the routine task turns into a surreal odyssey when Trip's van is hit by another vehicle and he subsequently finds himself up against a death-dealing horseman. As Trip flees through desolate streets, he has only his wits to help him avoid the deadly horseman and deliver Metallica's cargo."

Trip is played by Dane DeHaan, who played in Chronicles and will play Harry Osborn in The Amazing Spiderman 2.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    TIFF is one of the great festivals here in Toronto ... I used to go a lot of films but it's much harder to get tickets these days ... I'm going to Watermark on Friday ...

enjoy! ...
  • polaris_x wrote:
    TIFF is one of the great festivals here in Toronto ... I used to go a lot of films but it's much harder to get tickets these days ... I'm going to Watermark on Friday ...

enjoy! ...
    Thanks. I hope you enjoy this movie too.

I agree that getting tickets for films at TIFF is much harder than before, not to mention they are really expensive, especially if you're over 25. I looked for fun on Sunday and just the wait time was ridiculous. Much longer than Ticketmaster it seems. Of course, there are so many choices, which can explain the difficulty of getting tickets as quickly as possible.