8 years ago today

looloolooloolooloo Posts: 378
edited August 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
I thank God, my guardian angel, my husband, and the volunteers and workers at Memorial Medical Center who did all they could to evacuate the 2000 stuck there. I pray for the people that we were not able to help, and their family members. My prayers are with first responders, including the random people that offered their boats, trucks and selves the days and weeks following. My prayers continue, for the souls who thought there was no coming back from the madness and so took their own lives. Our city is quite the soul mender, and for that I'm eternally grateful for being wrapped in music, food, open hearts, and the rhythm of life that will always remain, faithfully, New Orleans.
"Sun sets on this ocean- never once on my devotion."

"If I had this guy's voice, you could all kiss my ass."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• i can't believe it has already been 8 years.

:( :(

i think this is the american tragedy of our lifetime.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    loolooloo wrote:
    I thank God, my guardian angel, my husband, and the volunteers and workers at Memorial Medical Center who did all they could to evacuate the 2000 stuck there. I pray for the people that we were not able to help, and their family members. My prayers are with first responders, including the random people that offered their boats, trucks and selves the days and weeks following. My prayers continue, for the souls who thought there was no coming back from the madness and so took their own lives. Our city is quite the soul mender, and for that I'm eternally grateful for being wrapped in music, food, open hearts, and the rhythm of life that will always remain, faithfully, New Orleans.
    I can't even imagine the fear and heartbreak of those days. I pray also for you and your husband, who cared enough to risk your own safety to aid others.

I was a case manager for many Katrina evacuees who had relocated to Texas. Two years on, they were rebuilding their lives but the trauma was still there. Their stories broke my heart.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    I work for the Red Cross (biomedical) but they asked for volunteers to come and help out with Disaster Relief. I spoke to many people trying to locate their loved ones. It was truly heartbreaking to hear some of the stories. It something that has stayed with me all these years.
  • i have heard that a lot of people have survivor's guilt. that must be a terrible thing to feel every day. :(

i almost took a job at Tulane in june 2005. i would have been right in the middle of all of this.

i felt really lucky for a long time after katrina hit, because i really wanted that job but could not get out of the contract i had with my employer at the time. my life would be completely different today.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    i can't believe it has already been 8 years.

:( :(

i think this is the american tragedy of our lifetime.

Shit happened on my bday! What a horrible tragedy.
  • looloolooloolooloo Posts: 378
    I work for the Red Cross (biomedical) but they asked for volunteers to come and help out with Disaster Relief. I spoke to many people trying to locate their loved ones. It was truly heartbreaking to hear some of the stories. It something that has stayed with me all these years.

Thank you for you help! And to you too, Who Princess and all the other volunteers that made such a difference to so many people. This is one of the pictures that brings it all back for me...this was taken at the hospital I worked at during the storm- my husband is the 3rd one on the stairs in the white shirt. He didn't work there but helped out tremendously. Even though we lost so much, our marriage is so much stronger because of the entire experience, and for that I am grateful!

c0e84ecb-5706-4a7d-a8ad-d9e80e721645.jpg~original
    "Sun sets on this ocean- never once on my devotion."

"If I had this guy's voice, you could all kiss my ass."
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    I read a long article about the evacuation at Memorial Medical Center. I can't even imagine what it must have been like to be there. So frantic and so difficult. You are right, everyone who assisted--and that includes you and your husband--is a hero.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."