Early Bday gift from future Father in-law

xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
edited September 2013 in Musicians and Gearheads
My fiance', Jess, and I have been together for 5 years. We were close friends and even dated towards the end of high school (2006). Our first serious date was when I took her to my old band's first show. Her dad has been playing music for decades (if you ever get the chance, check out Bleedrail...that's his band's name). Jess knows I'm a gear head and has even helped buy my pedals and other random stuff. I'm jammed with her dad a few times and even recorded in his studio. Last night, I went over to her dad's house. Her dad (Joe), welcomed me in and said "Happy early Birthday...I got you something"! I told him he didn't have to get me anything but he walked over to his guitar stash. He pulled out a case and, before I could realize what's going on, he handed it to me. He said it was his best friend's (who just recently passed away) and that he wanted to pass it along to me. I opened the case to find a beautiful JBL tele copy. I tried to say it was too much but he wouldn't have it. Knowing how much this guitar meant to him made it even more special to me. It's one of the best sounding guitars I've ever played and feels great. I tried it out in church, today, and absolutely fell in love with it. If there was any question as to whether or not he's cool with me marrying his daughter, it's been answered! Just thought I'd share the story with my fellow gearheads!
Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
"Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• My fiance', Jess, and I have been together for 5 years. We were close friends and even dated towards the end of high school (2006). Our first serious date was when I took her to my old band's first show. Her dad has been playing music for decades (if you ever get the chance, check out Bleedrail...that's his band's name). Jess knows I'm a gear head and has even helped buy my pedals and other random stuff. I'm jammed with her dad a few times and even recorded in his studio. Last night, I went over to her dad's house. Her dad (Joe), welcomed me in and said "Happy early Birthday...I got you something"! I told him he didn't have to get me anything but he walked over to his guitar stash. He pulled out a case and, before I could realize what's going on, he handed it to me. He said it was his best friend's (who just recently passed away) and that he wanted to pass it along to me. I opened the case to find a beautiful JBL tele copy. I tried to say it was too much but he wouldn't have it. Knowing how much this guitar meant to him made it even more special to me. It's one of the best sounding guitars I've ever played and feels great. I tried it out in church, today, and absolutely fell in love with it. If there was any question as to whether or not he's cool with me marrying his daughter, it's been answered! Just thought I'd share the story with my fellow gearheads!
    what an awesome story!!

it is funny how things work out, but i have figured out that if i am supposed to own a certain guitar, it has a way of finding me. sounds like the same is true of you.

also, don't sell yourself short. if he had an issue with you marrying his daughter you probably would have known about it a long time ago... i am pretty sure he is happy that you are in her life... :)

congratulations on the upcoming wedding!!
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Saw this on FB bud. Awesome surprise... I think the idea of carry the torch with a prized instrument. The stories that piece could tell..
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Saw this on FB bud. Awesome surprise... I think the idea of carry the torch with a prized instrument. The stories that piece could tell..
    Agreed! If I ever have a daughter and she plans on getting married (only after a thorough background check, scare tactics, and a lot of crying-on my part), I'd love to pass it on to her spouse. That being said...I'm not planning on having kids for a while
    what an awesome story!!

it is funny how things work out, but i have figured out that if i am supposed to own a certain guitar, it has a way of finding me. sounds like the same is true of you.

also, don't sell yourself short. if he had an issue with you marrying his daughter you probably would have known about it a long time ago... i am pretty sure he is happy that you are in her life... :)

congratulations on the upcoming wedding!!
    Thank you! Yeah, he let me play his 1972 Gibson L5 and that is when I got the first feeling that I was in, haha.
  • yeah man, any time a woman's dad will let you play one of his old guitars, it is a pretty good sign that you are in there...

• yeah man, any time a woman's dad will let you play one of his old guitars, it is a pretty good sign that you are in there...
    Good to know! That's what I was thinking. Pretty cool to jam with him.
    don't mess it up now.

;)

don't mess it up now.

;)
    lol trying my best not to. She's a Notre Dame fan, though....and my Grandfather was the Dean at Michigan and my other grandfather was a Navy man. Football season will not be too kind. At least we're both Detroit Lions fans :p
  • mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,414
    That is awesome!!! Enjoy it & congrats on the engagement, man!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • mfc2006 wrote:
    That is awesome!!! Enjoy it & congrats on the engagement, man!
    Thanks!!