cutzcutz Posts: 11,762
edited August 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
ridiculous!!

NCAA ought to be ASHAMED of themselves.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr- ... 55162.html
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,712
    I was actually going to start a thread on this as well. Fuck them. What a bunch of fucking scum.

Let's keep this going with everything this dirtbag organization does. I am sure we can have weekly installments.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,407
    :fp:
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • mookieblalockmookieblalock Posts: 3,243
    How much money do they make annually again off other people?

Definition of exploitation.
  • PorchsitterPorchsitter Posts: 1,069
    Not shocking. The NCAA gets more ridiculous by the hour.
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • MaxGoldenrodMaxGoldenrod Posts: 1,341
    It's MTSU...what is the harm in letting the man play some football?
    "Then the Spirit of God hovered over the water, and God said, Let there be music, and there was Pearl Jam."

Whose idea was it for the word "Lisp" to have an "S" in it?
  • How much money do they make annually again off other people?

This.. Been pissed off for a while now!
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,798
    How much money do they make annually again off other people?

Tax exempt at that.
    Cess pool. Shut it down.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Rickey-OMG.gif

As if we needed another reason to hate the NCAA. The lowest of low. And I thought them wanting to punish an incoming UConn freshman for graduating twice was bad. But this tops it.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,794
    When will the NCAA come to an end?

I think the largest and best football schools should leave the NCAA and form their own league.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • mookieblalockmookieblalock Posts: 3,243
    know1 wrote:
    When will the NCAA come to an end?

I think the largest and best football schools should leave the NCAA and form their own league.

I think this is inevitable at some point; but unfortunately I think its years away.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,823
    What a fucking joke the NCAA is. Just when you think they couldn't stoop any lower, you see something like this.

For daily NCAA bashing, follow Jay Bilas on twitter....he rips them apart constantly. It's great.
    What a fucking joke the NCAA is. Just when you think they couldn't stoop any lower, you see something like this.

For daily NCAA bashing, follow Jay Bilas on twitter....he rips them apart constantly. It's great.
    I love Jay Bilas. It's pure enjoyment, especially when he does it on ESPN.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • DURPDURP Posts: 2,180
    What a load of shit. The guy played in some games on post and he can't play because of some stupid ass rule. The NCAA is a joke and always has been. How they can sit there and student athlete with a straight face is beyond me. They should be ashamed of themselves for this.
    My butt itches!
  • CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    If NCAA was one person, they would be surely getting punched in the mouth for this
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • Caveeze wrote:
    If NCAA was one person, they would be surely getting punched in the mouth for this

Youre a little late. They already granted him 4 full years eligibility.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,762
    Caveeze wrote:

Yea, i saw that on the bottom-line tonight. MAYBE the NCAA got a bunch of shit for ruling he was ineligible? I HOPE they did. GLAD to see ther LETTING, or should i say he DESERVES, to play.
  • cutz wrote:
    Caveeze wrote:

Yea, i saw that on the bottom-line tonight. MAYBE the NCAA got a bunch of shit for ruling he was ineligible? I HOPE they did. GLAD to see ther LETTING, or should i say he DESERVES, to play.

No. This was a ridiculous thread to begin with. By rule, he was ineligible. They then looked into the facts, and made a decision. You know - due process and all. You've heard of the United States of America, right?

The rule as originally written did exclude military stuff like this. However, over the years, rules got changed, and that clause was left out (maybe intentionally, but likely just an oversight). I'm not an NCAA apologist. They do a lot of stuff wrong. But, we've become a society of attack and not facts or due process. We fry first and ask questions later.

This was much ado about nothing. Yes, the rule as currently written is bs. But, regardless of the media, this would have been the end result.
  • NoCode416NoCode416 Posts: 416

No. This was a ridiculous thread to begin with. By rule, he was ineligible. They then looked into the facts, and made a decision. You know - due process and all. You've heard of the United States of America, right?

The rule as originally written did exclude military stuff like this. However, over the years, rules got changed, and that clause was left out (maybe intentionally, but likely just an oversight). I'm not an NCAA apologist. They do a lot of stuff wrong. But, we've become a society of attack and not facts or due process. We fry first and ask questions later.

This was much ado about nothing. Yes, the rule as currently written is bs. But, regardless of the media, this would have been the end result.

I read your comment and actually had to log in so that I could applaud you with some internet text. This is well said. I would only add that complainers are generally the loudest, but that it is important that people be allowed to complain. It would be nice, however, if some discretion was used.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,712

But wouldn't the fact that after the first appeal they granted him his eligibility but made him redshirt and then only completely reinstated him after the serious backlash tell you that it has less to do with due process and more to do with PR?
    Here's another doozy. :fp: :fp: Jay Bilas brought this to my attention on Twitter.

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegebasketb ... ver-082013

Rutgers' Okoro denied hardship waiver

Whether it involves college football or college basketball players, the NCAA never ceases to find itself in the middle of controversy.

The NCAA has denied a hardship waiver to Iowa State transfer Kerwin Okoro, who in the span of only two months lost his 28-year-old brother to colon cancer and his father to a stroke.

After the two tragedies, the St. Raymond grad and Bronx native wanted to come closer to home for his mother’s sake and decided to settle on Rutger’s basketball program following his freshman year. The school planned to use Okoro as a major component in new head coach Eddie Jordan’s program this coming season.

Two deaths in the immediate family seem like kind of extreme case that defines the meaning of "hardship," right? Well, of course, the NCAA is going to make the 6-foot-5 wing wait. Hardship transfer rules don’t say anything about death in the family — only taking care of sick family members.

Strange, huh? So when that sick family member dies, the NCAA must expect you to swiftly find yourself back onto the court or the field. Mark Emmert and Co. are just bursting with compassion.

According to the New York Post, Rutgers plans on appealing the decision. The school was not available to comment, but Okoro’s former AAU coach did not bite his tongue.

“I think it’s crazy,” Abdu-Allah Torrence, told The Post. “It was hard on the whole family. The biggest [reason for coming home] was being a support system for his mom.”

The family tragedies caused Okoro to miss 14 games this past season for Iowa State so he could be with his family. Before playing on the college level, this young star led St. Raymond’s to a city-wide title his senior year — so he’s definitely no scrub.

The one question we should all be asking is…where is Jay Bilas when you need him?
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,823
    Newch91 wrote:
    Here's another doozy. :fp: :fp: Jay Bilas brought this to my attention on Twitter.

Whether it involves college football or college basketball players, the NCAA never ceases to find itself in the middle of controversy.

The NCAA has denied a hardship waiver to Iowa State transfer Kerwin Okoro, who in the span of only two months lost his 28-year-old brother to colon cancer and his father to a stroke.

After the two tragedies, the St. Raymond grad and Bronx native wanted to come closer to home for his mother’s sake and decided to settle on Rutger’s basketball program following his freshman year. The school planned to use Okoro as a major component in new head coach Eddie Jordan’s program this coming season.

Two deaths in the immediate family seem like kind of extreme case that defines the meaning of "hardship," right? Well, of course, the NCAA is going to make the 6-foot-5 wing wait. Hardship transfer rules don’t say anything about death in the family — only taking care of sick family members.

Strange, huh? So when that sick family member dies, the NCAA must expect you to swiftly find yourself back onto the court or the field. Mark Emmert and Co. are just bursting with compassion.

According to the New York Post, Rutgers plans on appealing the decision. The school was not available to comment, but Okoro’s former AAU coach did not bite his tongue.

“I think it’s crazy,” Abdu-Allah Torrence, told The Post. “It was hard on the whole family. The biggest [reason for coming home] was being a support system for his mom.”

The family tragedies caused Okoro to miss 14 games this past season for Iowa State so he could be with his family. Before playing on the college level, this young star led St. Raymond’s to a city-wide title his senior year — so he’s definitely no scrub.

The one question we should all be asking is…where is Jay Bilas when you need him?

Wow. Just wow.
    And another one.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... donte-hill

Eight minutes of scrimmage ends eligibility for ODU's Donte Hill

Donte Hill was an eight points/four boards/three dimes a game guard for a bad Old Dominion team last season. The team hoped to have him back for 2013-14, as he'd be the most experienced man on the roster for a team leaving the CAA and heading to Conference USA.

But that won't be happening after the NCAA decided Hill's college career to be over. On Thursday the organization let ODU know it wouldn't have the services of Hill going forward, deeming eight minutes played during a scrimmage of Hill's sophomore year at Clemson to be enough to wipe away a year of eligibility. The NCAA initially made this decision in June, ODU appealed it, and now with the appeal failing the case is closed. Hill is done playing college basketball.

NCAA bylaws state any time played in officially sanctioned competition -- scrimmages included -- start the clock on a player's eligibility in that given year. So despite the fact Hill logged eight measly minutes in a meaningless game a few years ago, it wound up costing him in the end.

“I am very disappointed by the NCAA's decision to deny my appeal, as I was hopeful there would have been reconsideration for my case," Hill, a team captain, said in a statement. "I am very appreciative of the efforts on my behalf by Old Dominion. I enjoyed my time here, and I will be a Monarch forever.”

Hill transferred from Clemson to Old Dominion in 2011. The scrimmage in question came shortly before his decision to leave Clemson.

“Obviously, this news is extremely disappointing to our staff and team and of course to Donte,” Monarchs coach Jeff Jones said in a release. "He had a short, but successful career at ODU and more importantly has his sociology degree from the university. Donte is a great representative of the ideals the NCAA encourages in its student athletes. We know Donte has a bright future ahead of him.”

ODU was 5-25 last year, the worst season in men's hoops history, which also included the midseason firing of longtime coach Blaine Taylor. The school and Taylor recently settled on money terms after his termination in February.

Hill was named to the CAA All-Academic team last season.
    Newch91 wrote:

Wow. Just wow.

My thoughts exactly.
  • Newch91 wrote:
    And another one.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... donte-hill

Eight minutes of scrimmage ends eligibility for ODU's Donte Hill

Donte Hill was an eight points/four boards/three dimes a game guard for a bad Old Dominion team last season. The team hoped to have him back for 2013-14, as he'd be the most experienced man on the roster for a team leaving the CAA and heading to Conference USA.

But that won't be happening after the NCAA decided Hill's college career to be over. On Thursday the organization let ODU know it wouldn't have the services of Hill going forward, deeming eight minutes played during a scrimmage of Hill's sophomore year at Clemson to be enough to wipe away a year of eligibility. The NCAA initially made this decision in June, ODU appealed it, and now with the appeal failing the case is closed. Hill is done playing college basketball.

NCAA bylaws state any time played in officially sanctioned competition -- scrimmages included -- start the clock on a player's eligibility in that given year. So despite the fact Hill logged eight measly minutes in a meaningless game a few years ago, it wound up costing him in the end.

“I am very disappointed by the NCAA's decision to deny my appeal, as I was hopeful there would have been reconsideration for my case," Hill, a team captain, said in a statement. "I am very appreciative of the efforts on my behalf by Old Dominion. I enjoyed my time here, and I will be a Monarch forever.”

Hill transferred from Clemson to Old Dominion in 2011. The scrimmage in question came shortly before his decision to leave Clemson.

“Obviously, this news is extremely disappointing to our staff and team and of course to Donte,” Monarchs coach Jeff Jones said in a release. "He had a short, but successful career at ODU and more importantly has his sociology degree from the university. Donte is a great representative of the ideals the NCAA encourages in its student athletes. We know Donte has a bright future ahead of him.”

ODU was 5-25 last year, the worst season in men's hoops history, which also included the midseason firing of longtime coach Blaine Taylor. The school and Taylor recently settled on money terms after his termination in February.

Hill was named to the CAA All-Academic team last season.

Where do you draw the line? 25 minutes? 2 games? 5 games? Do you really know it was just 8 minutes? I mean c'mon - why aren't you worried about why these guys are transferring so many times?

I think a few of you need new hobbies. Your righteous indignation hobby is failing.
  • Newch91 wrote:

You guys know what a hardship transfer is, right? It's when you transfer schools and can play right away. It doesn't mean his eligibility is wiped out. It just means he can focus on his studies for a year, then play 12 months after he played his last game with his old school (or, more likely in this case skip this year and play next).

Yes, a very big tragedy. What has happened to him is awful. But, is this ruling really that big a deal? Guys, it's sports. Would Rutgers even care if this guys wasn't "definitely no scrub?"

If you want to dissect the NCAAA, let's look at the school's motives, too. What? They wouldn't have allowed him on campus if they knew he couldn't play? Maybe. I have no idea from this great investigative reporting. It is interesting the focus put on how the coach was going to use him, et. al. So, perhaps we should question the motive of the writer, as well. What's his GPA? Have his studies been effected by these tragedies? How are his credit hours going? Is he on pace to graduate? Maybe, classroom should be the focus while he waits the year to regain his eligibility. It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

And this quote seems to be counterintuitive: "So when that sick family member dies, the NCAA must expect you to swiftly find yourself back onto the court or the field. "

Actually, from the sound of it, no they don't. What does playing basketball have to do with being close to home and supporting his family? Wouldn't court time take away from that?