Options

oh and i am doing this, too

decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
edited September 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
i'm going back to school!!!
yep. i start august 26th. 3 months shy of 45, and going back to school, again. and yes, again, something has got to give! i was working for a while, freelance ... LOVED IT!!! really looked like it was going to lead to a FT, well-paid position - my boss LOVED ME and wanted me to stay on - sadly the partners did not want to spend the $$$.

i realize, if i am EVER to get anywhere new career-wise, i need to update my skills. sooooooo, i'm enrolled at FIT for their professional certificate program for graphic design. i've not taken a class since, oh, 2005, and i haven't really been enrolled in a proper school since my MA, which i finished in 1999. yikes. anyhoo, i figure if i can update all the design-related computer skills i am lacking, will be a BIG help in a new direction, landing a job - even within teaching art, so we shall see. i will hopefully finish it up in the spring.

so yes, exciting and scary times ahead! :mrgreen: anyone else on the verge of big change? starting a new path? doing something crazy or wonderful - or merely something needed? love to hear your stories, and yea ... be less nervous about everything.
Stay with me...
Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    klusterfukklusterfuk Posts: 1,411
    I just graduated in May at age 45. Took me two and a half years but well worth it. You can do it. :mrgreen:
    The future's paved with better days

Alpine Valley Resort is etched in my brain!!!

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Congrats!!! :D
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,162
    that is really great!

guess there is still hope for me to get that law degree i have been talking about for a few years now... :lol:
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    mfc2006 wrote:
    Congrats!!! :D
    :D
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    klusterfuk wrote:
    I just graduated in May at age 45. Took me two and a half years but well worth it. You can do it. :mrgreen:

AWESOME!!!
    big congrats to you!

i am looking forward to it, but still also feel a bit odd. then again, it's a program specifically for people like me - people already with degrees who need to update their skills. they are accelerated courses and no grades. merely a pass/fail. outside of education, i already have "too many" degrees, haha, but this - perfect for me. i absolutely NEED to be proficient in the adobe programs to really open up my career options. hopefully i can keep up and really learn it all! :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,250
    Congratulations, decides2dream! That is awesome! :)
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    Congratulations, decides2dream! That is awesome! :)

ms. haiku!!!
    so, so, so good to see you and thanks! let ya know how it all goes. :shock: :D:mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    jbarbianjbarbian Posts: 991
    Congrats!!!!
  • Options
    yellowwhoyellowwho Posts: 1,661
    Congrats !!

and

good luck .
  • Options
    already completed my first class, was only 2 sessions and a real intro class. tonight i begin what i consider my first "real" class - adobe illustrator I. i've never so much as have opened the program, so yea, MUCH to learn!!!

and now excited that i will study AND work in manhattan, both oh so close/easy commute - so win-win! trying my damnedest to reach 45 in a good place and kick off 2014 on a HIGH note! i so need and want this!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    You go!!! I'm trying to get my schooling figured out.. I had finished my entire EMT classes only to discover I couldn't pass the Federal inspection.. Because of a DUI in 2003. So now I have to figure something else out. Can't physically afford to do ranch management anymore.
  • Options
    You go!!! I'm trying to get my schooling figured out.. I had finished my entire EMT classes only to discover I couldn't pass the Federal inspection.. Because of a DUI in 2003. So now I have to figure something else out. Can't physically afford to do ranch management anymore.

ouch! :(
    i'm sure you'll figure it out, where there's a will there's a way!

very interesting, my entire class for illustrator I, all females. various ages, but not a guy amongst us. also quite happy bc the bulk of the class are complete illustrator novices like me! class was good, much to learn - i'm excited!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...