Free photo editing programs, suggestions?

jlaustinjlaustin Posts: 2,355
edited August 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Hi everyone, There are some very creative people on this forum, so I thought I would ask for some suggestions for good, free photo editing software/download.

Not very "techie"' just want something to gather all my photos in one place, do basic edits, be able to print, etc. on the new computer/pc I just got. I don't like the software that came with my cameras. Also, not interested in paying for Photoshop.

I appreciate any help/advice.

Thanks so much!
2013 Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
2014 Cincy, Detroit, Moline, & Milwaukee
2015 Central Park
2016 Lexington, Ottawa, Toronto 1 & 2, Boston 1 & 2, Chicago 1 & 2
2017 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
2018 Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Chicago 1

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• LongueuilLongueuil Posts: 2,224
    Never use it but GIMP seems to be interesting
  • NeilNeil Posts: 82
    You may want to try out http://pixlr.com. I don't use the program for photo storage, but I think this is a great free editor. -Very similar to Photoshop, without the cost. The only problem I've had is editing larger size files (hundreds of MB in size). If the files are too large in size the browser has issues.
  • gimp is sort of like photoshop but for free
    http://www.gimpshop.com/welcome
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • jlaustinjlaustin Posts: 2,355
    Thanks for the suggestions, will look into them!
    2015 Central Park

• DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    If you have a google+ account (it's free), Picasa integrates nicely with it. I do my editing in Photoshop and then use Picasa for sharing.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    Longueuil wrote:
    Why not use GIMP. I realize it's difficult to use, and I don't understand every part.
    ?? Should I delete. I've had it for 3 years. I like the possibilities this software offers.
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    STAYSEA wrote:
    Longueuil wrote:
    Why not use GIMP. I realize it's difficult to use, and I don't understand every part.
    ?? Should I delete. I've had it for 3 years. I like the possibilities this software offers.

I think he meant he's never used it before, but was putting it out there as a suggestion. GIMP is the only photo editing software I've ever used, I like it.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    STAYSEA wrote:
    Longueuil wrote:

I think he meant he's never used it before, but was putting it out there as a suggestion. GIMP is the only photo editing software I've ever used, I like it.

Thank You! GIMP is pretty neat-o.
    I can spend hours on one photo and still have nothing to show. It's very detailed and I still struggle, but the results can be something really interesting.
  • uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    I highly recommend GIMP. I've been using it for over a decade and I have nothing but good things to say.
    Thanks again! Definitely going to try out GIMP - hope it isn't too difficult - I'm not very good with technology! :lol:
    2015 Central Park

• PRL1JAMPRL1JAM Posts: 787
    I highly recommend GIMP. I've been using it for over a decade and I have nothing but good things to say.

same here. GIMP is awesome
  • Another vote for Gimp here!

Also, if you're just looking to do very basic things, PicMonkey is an online photo editor that seems to do the trick quickly and easily. (quick crop or slight rotation, for example)
    So, I downloaded GIMP, and decide to watch one of the tutorial videos. It was how to make it look like a cat was unzipping itself out of another cat! :lol: It looked awesome, but just a bit over my skill set at this time! I need to find some more basic tutorials to get started. :lol:

So in the meantime, I'll check out PicMonkey. Thanks again to everyone for their suggestions! I knew I could count on you! :thumbup:
    2015 Central Park