Frustration with guitar stands.

brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,740
edited August 2013 in Musicians and Gearheads
Anyone else experience this? :lol:

OK, anyone here who had NOT exerienced this? :lol:

Seriously, I have had several different guitar stand and have yet to find a good one. They are either precarious, tend to leave the guitar at rest on a tilt (sideways) or have rubber rests that are hazardous to a guitar's finish. They can send a man to the moon but they can't... you know the story.

Any ideas?
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    I posed this question a month or so ago. Thought Hercules stands would do the trick, but they removed the "safe for all guitar finishes" perk from the ads and descriptions. In my research I've discovered that just about any stand on the market can do damage, b/c there are so many variations in the nitrocellulose on a practically day to day basis.

What I don't get...Why not wrap the stands with the stuff that they put on the inside of guitar cases?
  • BELLZDEEPBELLZDEEP Posts: 289
    Invent it and make millions!!
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,740
    DewieCox wrote:
    I posed this question a month or so ago. Thought Hercules stands would do the trick, but they removed the "safe for all guitar finishes" perk from the ads and descriptions. In my research I've discovered that just about any stand on the market can do damage, b/c there are so many variations in the nitrocellulose on a practically day to day basis.

What I don't get...Why not wrap the stands with the stuff that they put on the inside of guitar cases?

Actually you can buy sleeves made of fuzzy material that looks and feels a lot like the inside of a good guitar case called- get this- the "Stand-Bra". :lol: Guitars Plus USA carries them on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Stand-Bra-P ... 337fc01a4a

They work ok although I had some problem with fitting and they don't completely protect the neck at the most critical pint- though outer edge-- and that still leaves the issue regarding instability of the stand itself.

When someone finally comes up with a good, well made, durable guitar stand that is both stable and has the soft cloth finish instead of nitrocellulose, that person will become very rich- and I will be one of their customers!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• i use fretrest stands. have used em for years. i have some really expensive guitars, and i gig them, so i don't care of they get a little finish checking or discoloration. i play white guitars in smokey bars and they have yellowed somewhat, so i can stand a little finish wear as well. to me, ,most finish damage makes it look well loved and well played.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    i use fretrest stands. have used em for years. i have some really expensive guitars, and i gig them, so i don't care of they get a little finish checking or discoloration. i play white guitars in smokey bars and they have yellowed somewhat, so i can stand a little finish wear as well. to me, ,most finish damage makes it look well loved and well played.

Maybe that's it- I'm just to finicky. Maybe I just need to rough 'em up a bit and get it over with... :lol:

...like Mike slamming that Tele face down on the floor at the end of "Save You" from the Showbox video. :lol:

...Ohhhh, that poor guitar! :o

Not sure if I've tried fretrest... will check it out. Thanks, gimme.

• brianlux wrote:
    i use fretrest stands. have used em for years. i have some really expensive guitars, and i gig them, so i don't care of they get a little finish checking or discoloration. i play white guitars in smokey bars and they have yellowed somewhat, so i can stand a little finish wear as well. to me, ,most finish damage makes it look well loved and well played.

Maybe that's it- I'm just to finicky. Maybe I just need to rough 'em up a bit and get it over with... :lol:

...like Mike slamming that Tele face down on the floor at the end of "Save You" from the Showbox video. :lol:

...Ohhhh, that poor guitar! :o

Not sure if I've tried fretrest... will check it out. Thanks, gimme.
    yeah they are pretty good stands. i have one or more guitars out on display in every room of my house so i have like 11 of them.

the way i view it, guitars are meant to be played and part of playing is roughing them up. when i am looking at a used guitar i am not looking for the pristine one. give me the one that has been played, beaten up, and has the scars to show me that it has been loved. you know it is a great guitar if someone is gonna play it enough to wear through the finish. the pristine ones normally are the worst playing ones because they have not been "worn in", ya know?

those stands are only like $22 or something. pretty cheap in my opinion.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    yeah they are pretty good stands. i have one or more guitars out on display in every room of my house so i have like 11 of them.

the way i view it, guitars are meant to be played and part of playing is roughing them up. when i am looking at a used guitar i am not looking for the pristine one. give me the one that has been played, beaten up, and has the scars to show me that it has been loved. you know it is a great guitar if someone is gonna play it enough to wear through the finish. the pristine ones normally are the worst playing ones because they have not been "worn in", ya know?

those stands are only like $22 or something. pretty cheap in my opinion.

Sounds good. I'll check one out.

I sort of know what you mean about the roughed up guitars. Of my five electrics- an Epiphone Dot, Fender Tele semi-hollow body Thinline, First Act Westerberg model, Gibson Les Paul Studio (all pretty much pristine) and an old beat up cheapo Squire Strat with humbuckers, which is my favorite? Yep-- the old beat up Squire strat. Go figure. :lol:

• LukinzLukinz Posts: 386
    knocking your guitars around a bit builds character. Look at Neil's acoustic with the huge hole in it. Sounds awesome. Plus some people pay big bucks for "road worn" versions. I say play it, and enjoy it. Don't worry so much about how it looks.
    2003: Madison Square Garden 1
    2006: East Rutherford 1, East Rutherford 2
    2008: Madison Square Garden 2
    2010: Newark
    2013: Brooklyn 2 GA
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    Hey, I'm all for putting wear and tear on my guitars, but Ive spent too much money and they've been too good to me to not put my best foot forward in caring for them. I'd prefer the wear is a little more natural than a few spots wear the finish melts away from sitting on the wrong stand.
    There's also the issue of acoustic guitars. There's no way I'm going to feel good if my Martin D-18* gets a marred finish or more than the few little dings that it has (mostly from other friends playing it while too drunk- won't let that happen again) because of a cheap stand. The electrics are on wall hangers which seem fine but the Martin, like me, flies low to the ground and I want to keep it in good shape. I really do hope I can find the right stand for that one!

(No, I'm not a music snob but in '74 I put up my car as collateral to buy the D-18 brand new- $500 bucks- and I'm glad I did! :) )