Options

Please play Against the 70 s in Philly!!

mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,914
edited October 2013 in The Porch
This is an amazing song that needs to be played again. The philly shows are going to kick some major ass, plus the oct 22 show will be the 23rd anniversary of the band! Please play it. It s been way too long.
Thanks
Mike
I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    BUMP
  • Options
    Listening to this song right now. I can t believe it was only played once!
  • Options
    Bump
  • Options
    theJawastheJawas Posts: 395
    Yeah; I'm sure they've been keeping that one in their back pocket till they finally play a show in Hipster Heaven.
  • Options
    Kurto26 wrote:
    Yeah; I'm sure they've been keeping that one in their back pocket till they finally play a show in Hipster Heaven.
    Why the sarcasm? It s a two chord song lol
  • Options
    CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    Hey!! you stole my thread!! :lol::lol: I wasn't specific about a city though..

If we are getting city specific, can we pick one that we will both be at? I am doing Pitt,Buff, Philly 1+2, Seattle :D

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=215357
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • Options
    KathiKathi Posts: 1,828
    Caveeze wrote:

If we are getting city specific, can we pick one that we will both be at? I am doing Pitt,Buff, Philly 1+2, Seattle :D

seattle! :D
  • Options
    Kathi wrote:
    Caveeze wrote:

seattle! :D
    That would seem to make the most sense.. maybe once leg 1 and once leg 2 :D
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • Options
    Ok I ll switch it to Philly if you endorse this thread. Cool?
  • Options
    mcgruff10 wrote:
    Ok I ll switch it to Philly if you endorse this thread. Cool?
    Endorsed!!!
  • Options
    sorry I hijacked your thread bud but this is my holy grail of songs. I've loved this song since it came out on tug boat or ball hog. It totally kicks ass!

Just in case you need a refresher (plus dave grohl is on drums!!!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGF6k7xMuOc
  • Options
    Yes, after the video, I fully and completely support this THREAD!
  • Options
    Holy grail song bump
  • Options
    Outta work bump!!
  • Options
    hump day bump

two chords mike!
  • Options
    7:15 bump For the kids... against the 70's!!
  • Options
    Pay day bump
  • Options
    friday morning bump bump
  • Options
    The "I cant believe we are the only two people that want this" bump!!!
  • Options
    I think driftingbythestorm wants to hear this too!
  • Options
    mcgruff10 wrote:
    I think driftingbythestorm wants to hear this too!

true story.
    was probably the only request thread i seriously wanted to bump,
    but refrained.

not-really-a-bump

ps - WATT AS A SPECIAL GUEST, plz
    let him SPIEL it up too before he plugs that thunder broom in to his thunder tomb and stuffs the thing in the hole.
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    Admit it s a good song and you want to hear it in Philly my friend! It s only been played once!!!!! How cool would it be at their anniversary show. Then follow it with habit.....whoa
  • Options
    mcgruff10 wrote:
    Admit it s a good song and you want to hear it in Philly my friend! It s only been played once!!!!! How cool would it be at their anniversary show. Then follow it with habit.....whoa

it is a great song,
    and i would prefer they play it in Charlotte.
    :D
  • Options
    bump for drifting by the storm. what shows you going to?
  • Options
    The I can't believe it s already Monday and I m up way to early bump
  • Options
    Bu$chlagerBu$chlager Posts: 498
    I think this is a cool song, but I never really understood the lyrics. Since some of you seem to be big fans of the tune, can anyone shed some light on the meaning?

Why should I have (or still) feel the need to defend myself against the 1970's?
  • Options
    DriftingByTheStormDriftingByTheStorm Posts: 8,684
    edited August 2013
    BUSH-lager wrote:
    I think this is a cool song, but I never really understood the lyrics. Since some of you seem to be big fans of the tune, can anyone shed some light on the meaning?

i thought the lyrics were pretty self-evident, but ...
    imho, Against the 70's is a song that speaks to the fallacy of the romanticized version of the 70's that pop-culture pushes on kids. I think the song is a bit dated in the sense that pop-culture "retro-ism" has moved passed the 70's well in to the 80's, with kids today wearing neon and popped collars, and much of today's pop-culture romanticizing this period (the 80's) much like was done for the now older generation back in the early-to-mid 90's with the 70's culture.

Back in the 90's the re-packaging of 70's as nostalgia was ubiquitous. Lava Lamps, Black Light Posters, Vinyl Records, Patent Leather Shoes, bell bottoms and kulats, incense, beaded door curtains, and even water beds were all seemingly coming "back". I had a lot of friend in highschool that had conversion vans (none with shag carpet, so far as i know) and very long men's hair cuts, and smoked weed in their vans (even at school). Pro-pot culture seemed to really peak in the early-mid-90's. "Hippies" also seemed to be on the return. My school had quite the click of dead-heads with necklaces and tie dye ... not uncommonly crowded in a circle for a few games of hacky sack, either.

All this stuff was 70's throw back nostalgia-driven "revisionist history". On top of that, the "garbage vendors" (record labels, media, and trinket manufacturers) were pushing all of this stuff on kids and in many ways guiding their thoughts towards the notion that the 70's were some great period of fun, frivolity, and great music.
    It's not that this stuff wasn't part of the 70's, it is that the 1970's -- TO THOSE THAT LIVED IT (not me, speaking as a child of the 90's) -- was a much more depressing decade. It starts just shortly after the assassination of RFK while Vietnam is in full swing, and Nam doesn't end until the middle of the decade. Most of the "legends" of late 60's rock and roll are already dead (jimmi and janis left us in '70; jim in '71), bloated, or just gone wrong (the Dead), and "singer-songwriter" culture is in full effect with an emphasis on "radio ready" watered down saccharin sweet love songs with very little to offer someone who was in to the psychedelic scene of the 60's. What rock and roll is left by the middle of the decade has become so bombastic and stereotype driven as to be a mockery of itself (sure there is still good music in the 70s but, imho, is in the minority) and the culture that was behind the good music of the 60's has largely given up and dispersed. Throw in a gas crisis, some really shitty presidents, and end the decade with the Iranian hostage crisis, and it becomes pretty apparent that the 1970s were NOT the shallow, hippy-dippy, pot loving, belbottom wearing funtimes-and-nothing-but-funtimes era that the media of the 90's was selling.

In so many words,
    i think this is what the song was getting at.
    I'm not even sure Watt was referring to the political stuff directly in his lyrics,
    most of them really seem only to reference the MUSIC of the 70's
    ("stadium minds, with stadium lies" -- referring to arena rock music -- ironically somewhat the cradle of pearl jam's debut album)
    the one line, "i peered in his eyes ... but the pages i found looked like an unbound coloring book" is probably the "deepest" of the song, seemingly an exchange between a younger man (the one peering) looking for answers and direction and a man who lived through the 70's ... finding only "an unbound coloring book" in his eyes, to me, indicates that the young man is aware that there are no answers from this older man, that he himself is mentally disheveled, disillusioned, lost ... remember that the youth of the 70s are THE HEART OF GEN-X. God i love them, and we wouldn't have had 90's alt culture with out the heart and soul of Gen X. But by-and-large, from what i remember and still know of this to-me-so-great generation, these kats were definitely not "on to anything great" but were lost on the road themselves, searching for answers which they had no idea where could be found.
    Against the 70s says "don't go looking to us for answers, don't throw back to a shit decade that had no promise. move forward. make something new."

???
    Post edited by DriftingByTheStorm on
  • Options
    The "drifting by the storm gave a hell of a good read" bump
  • Options
    Holy hot Wednesday bump!
  • Options
    BUSH-lager wrote:

i thought the lyrics were pretty self-evident, but ...
    imho, Against the 70's is a song that speaks to the fallacy of the romanticized version of the 70's that pop-culture pushes on kids. I think the song is a bit dated in the sense that pop-culture "retro-ism" has moved passed the 70's well in to the 80's, with kids today wearing neon and popped collars, and much of today's pop-culture romanticizing this period (the 80's) much like was done for the now older generation back in the early-to-mid 90's with the 70's culture.

Back in the 90's the re-packaging of 70's as nostalgia was ubiquitous. Lava Lamps, Black Light Posters, Vinyl Records, Patent Leather Shoes, bell bottoms and kulats, incense, beaded door curtains, and even water beds were all seemingly coming "back". I had a lot of friend in highschool that had conversion vans (none with shag carpet, so far as i know) and very long men's hair cuts, and smoked weed in their vans (even at school). Pro-pot culture seemed to really peak in the early-mid-90's. "Hippies" also seemed to be on the return. My school had quite the click of dead-heads with necklaces and tie dye ... not uncommonly crowded in a circle for a few games of hacky sack, either.

All this stuff was 70's throw back nostalgia-driven "revisionist history". On top of that, the "garbage vendors" (record labels, media, and trinket manufacturers) were pushing all of this stuff on kids and in many ways guiding their thoughts towards the notion that the 70's were some great period of fun, frivolity, and great music.
    It's not that this stuff wasn't part of the 70's, it is that the 1970's -- TO THOSE THAT LIVED IT (not me, speaking as a child of the 90's) -- was a much more depressing decade. It starts just shortly after the assassination of RFK while Vietnam is in full swing, and Nam doesn't end until the middle of the decade. Most of the "legends" of late 60's rock and roll are already dead (jimmi and janis left us in '70; jim in '71), bloated, or just gone wrong (the Dead), and "singer-songwriter" culture is in full effect with an emphasis on "radio ready" watered down saccharin sweet love songs with very little to offer someone who was in to the psychedelic scene of the 60's. What rock and roll is left by the middle of the decade has become so bombastic and stereotype driven as to be a mockery of itself (sure there is still good music in the 70s but, imho, is in the minority) and the culture that was behind the good music of the 60's has largely given up and dispersed. Throw in a gas crisis, some really shitty presidents, and end the decade with the Iranian hostage crisis, and it becomes pretty apparent that the 1970s were NOT the shallow, hippy-dippy, pot loving, belbottom wearing funtimes-and-nothing-but-funtimes era that the media of the 90's was selling.

In so many words,
    i think this is what the song was getting at.
    I'm not even sure Watt was referring to the political stuff directly in his lyrics,
    most of them really seem only to reference the MUSIC of the 70's
    ("stadium minds, with stadium lies" -- referring to arena rock music -- ironically somewhat the cradle of pearl jam's debut album)
    the one line, "i peered in his eyes ... but the pages i found looked like an unbound coloring book" is probably the "deepest" of the song, seemingly an exchange between a younger man (the one peering) looking for answers and direction and a man who lived through the 70's ... finding only "an unbound coloring book" in his eyes, to me, indicates that the young man is aware that there are no answers from this older man, that he himself is mentally disheveled, disillusioned, lost ... remember that the youth of the 70s are THE HEART OF GEN-X. God i love them, and we wouldn't have had 90's alt culture with out the heart and soul of Gen X. But by-and-large, from what i remember and still know of this to-me-so-great generation, these kats were definitely not "on to anything great" but were lost on the road themselves, searching for answers which they had no idea where could be found.
    Against the 70s says "don't go looking to us for answers, don't throw back to a shit decade that had no promise. move forward. make something new."

???

Um wow!!!! I m impressed. I thought simply put: watt hated the 70's!