Cool things to do Alone in NYC?

F5AgainstOneF5AgainstOne Posts: 1,462
edited August 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
I am going to NYC (First time to NYC) on a business trip next week.
Each day I will have from 4PM to 11 PM to my self.
I know there is plenty to do in NYC, but a lot of it I would want to with my wife (Broadway, museums etc..)
Im giving myself an 11 O'clock (ish) curfew (LAME) since I need to be working bright and early the next day.

I will be staying right at Grand Central Station Hyatt, So I should be able to get anywhere pretty easily.
I'll probably hit Trace Center memorial and also the tourist-y sites (Empire State, Statue, Times Square, etc...)

I am looking for suggestions for
Food: Great Pizza, Chinese food, bagels, delis
Music: Shops (records or instruments), Live Music
Comedy
Cool stuff that a typical newbie tourist might not otherwise find on his own.

Also... What spots, neighborhoods, subway stops should I avoid (for safety reasons)?

Thanks in advance
EV Solo Boston 6/16/11
East Troy 9/3/11
East Troy 9/4/11
Amsterdam 6/26/12
Amsterdam 6/27/12
Wrigley Field 7/19-20/13
Worcester, MA 10/15/13
Worcester, MA 10/16/13
Hartford, CT 10/25/13
Seattle, WA 12/06/13
Denver, CO 10/22/14
Fenway 2016 #1
Fenway 2016 #2
Fenway 2018 #1
Fenway 2018 #2
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,796
    Go downstairs to the grand central oyster bar and sit at the very small bar in the center of the restaurant. NOT the saloon. There should be a gentleman there with a mustache tending bar. His name is Marcello. Tell him Adam sent you. Get a martini and a dozen oysters. Stick to the raw bar. Expense it. :lol:

Walk down park ave to union square park. Wait in the line at the shake shack. Get a beer and a shack burger. Thank me later.

Go to motorino in the east village for pizza.
  • F5AgainstOneF5AgainstOne Posts: 1,462
    Get_Right wrote:
    Go downstairs to the grand central oyster bar and sit at the very small bar in the center of the restaurant. NOT the saloon. There should be a gentleman there with a mustache tending bar. His name is Marcello. Tell him Adam sent you. Get a martini and a dozen oysters. Stick to the raw bar. Expense it. :lol:

Walk down park ave to union square park. Wait in the line at the shake shack. Get a beer and a shack burger. Thank me later.

8-) Thanks
    EV Solo Boston 6/16/11
    East Troy 9/3/11
    East Troy 9/4/11
    Amsterdam 6/26/12
    Amsterdam 6/27/12
    Wrigley Field 7/19-20/13
    Worcester, MA 10/15/13
    Worcester, MA 10/16/13
    Hartford, CT 10/25/13
    Seattle, WA 12/06/13
    Denver, CO 10/22/14
    Fenway 2016 #1
    Fenway 2016 #2
    Fenway 2018 #1
    Fenway 2018 #2
  • FAP
    Memorial Stadium, Seattle - Jul 21 22, 1998
    Key Arena - Nov 05, 2000
    Gorge Amphitheater - Sep 01, 2005, Jul 22,23, 2006
    Key Arena - Sept 21,22, 2009
    Alpine Valley - Sept 3, 4 2011
  • F5AgainstOneF5AgainstOne Posts: 1,462
    FAP
    Did you think of that on your own, or did you need help? :roll:
    EV Solo Boston 6/16/11
    East Troy 9/3/11
    East Troy 9/4/11
    Amsterdam 6/26/12
    Amsterdam 6/27/12
    Wrigley Field 7/19-20/13
    Worcester, MA 10/15/13
    Worcester, MA 10/16/13
    Hartford, CT 10/25/13
    Seattle, WA 12/06/13
    Denver, CO 10/22/14
    Fenway 2016 #1
    Fenway 2016 #2
    Fenway 2018 #1
    Fenway 2018 #2
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    Get_Right wrote:

LMAO... I think you might be the other Adam... I may have done this before too 8-)
    You must also find the echo spot in Grand Central that allows you to hear conversations going on far away..
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Pizza:

Grab 2 slices of cheese at this place and you will thank me profusely afterwards:

http://nypizzasuprema.com/
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • BinFrog wrote:
    Pizza:

Grab 2 slices of cheese at this place and you will thank me profusely afterwards:

I was recommended this place and now go here all the time before Rangers games.... 8-)
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,835
    Head out to Coney Island for a ride on the Cyclone, peep the freak show, then maybe catch a Cyclones game. Oh yeah, and there's some hot dog place out there, too, and Totonno's pizzeria (NOM!).
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    You should go see Cinderella on Broadway!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1TL0BV28lY
  • badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    BinFrog wrote:
    Pizza:

I was recommended this place and now go here all the time before Rangers games.... 8-)

Who the hell recommended this place to you Patrick??? 8-) Can't wait for the season to begin!
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,835
    badbrains wrote:
    BinFrog wrote:
    Pizza:

Who the hell recommended this place to you Patrick??? 8-) Can't wait for the season to begin!

Great spot. Best pizza in that area. I remember when they refused to do toppings. Finally caved, I think.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    Haven't seen joe there in a long time, wonder if his family still owns it. And crazy how the used to never open on Sundays and a couple years ago they started to.
  • JenfarrJenfarr Posts: 677
    Take a walk around Central Park.
    "McCready played on, lending credence to the theory that he was actually built in Stone’s basement from spare truck parts and vinyl records." - Glide Mag. review of MSG 7/8/03
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    pm Black Diamond and Get_Right

thats all
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    I am going to NYC (First time to NYC) on a business trip next week.
    Each day I will have from 4PM to 11 PM to my self.
    I know there is plenty to do in NYC, but a lot of it I would want to with my wife (Broadway, museums etc..)
    Im giving myself an 11 O'clock (ish) curfew (LAME) since I need to be working bright and early the next day.

I will be staying right at Grand Central Station Hyatt, So I should be able to get anywhere pretty easily.
    I'll probably hit Trace Center memorial and also the tourist-y sites (Empire State, Statue, Times Square, etc...)

I am looking for suggestions for
    Food: Great Pizza, Chinese food, bagels, delis
    Music: Shops (records or instruments), Live Music
    Comedy
    Cool stuff that a typical newbie tourist might not otherwise find on his own.

Also... What spots, neighborhoods, subway stops should I avoid (for safety reasons)?

Thanks in advance

SO much to do solo!
    walk the high line, no doubt! love it there.
    go to don antonio's for pizza, so, so good.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,798
    has anyone mentioned getting mugged by a hooker in a dark alley yet?

:corn:
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    oh and fork & spoon on 37th? street, really awesome, and reasonable, lunch spot.
    definitely hit up any of the parks and just walk around, enjoy the weather and people watching.
    i personally love the meat packing district, soooo many excellent restaurants and bars. try scarpetta, their spaghetti is out of this WORLD! flute and fig & olive, both great champagne/wine and cocktail spots. i'm also a big fan of spice market, particularly their passion fruit sangria, thank me later. :) idk if you mention you'll be in town over a weekend, but if so - do hit up a brunch spot - the following are awesome: the standard grill, 44 1/2 and maialina. yummy!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

Get_Right wrote:

LMAO... I think you might be the other Adam... I may have done this before too 8-)
    You must also find the echo spot in Grand Central that allows you to hear conversations going on far away..
    YUP. History repeats.

Good call. Those arches in front of the GCOB is what I think you are talking about and its very cool, but you need two to do it.
    mickeyrat wrote:
    has anyone mentioned getting mugged by a hooker in a dark alley yet?

that you thought was a woman!

:lol::lol:
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    +1 for the highline & central park.

For good burgers near your hotel, check out Jackson Hole on 3rd ave & 35th street. They give u pickles that are SO GOOD.

Maybe check out Yankee stadium, or the South Street Seaport.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    I do the same thing when I'm alone, where ever I am.
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    I do the same thing when I'm alone, where ever I am.
    :think:

tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"