Iceland

JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238
edited August 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Anyone here from Iceland? I don't remember seeing anyone mention it. I know I've seen people mention that they've visited.

We're planning a trip. We'll be staying at an apartment in Reykjavik and taking side trips from there -- no big guided tours or anything. Any and all recommendations would be appreciated -- things to see, places to eat, good spots for local live music, etc.

Oh, and we'll have the kids with us (5, 7, 9 years old) so family-oriented suggestions are a big plus.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    JTH wrote:
    Anyone here from Iceland? I don't remember seeing anyone mention it. I know I've seen people mention that they've visited.

We're planning a trip. We'll be staying at an apartment in Reykjavik and taking side trips from there -- no big guided tours or anything. Any and all recommendations would be appreciated -- things to see, places to eat, good spots for local live music, etc.

Oh, and we'll have the kids with us (5, 7, 9 years old) so family-oriented suggestions are a big plus.
    My sister and her family spent a year there, although it was many years ago. Her husband was in the Air Force and her son was 5. I don't remember a lot of specifics but I can ask her. I know 2 things they enjoyed was visiting the Geyser, which is the one where the word geyser came from. Also riding Icelandic ponies.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238
    I've never been much of a horse person, but I'm definitely looking forward to checking out the Icelandic ponies.
    JTH wrote:
    I've never been much of a horse person, but I'm definitely looking forward to checking out the Icelandic ponies.
    I think even if you don't ride your kids will get a kick out of seeing them. I know that's one of the things that my nephew talked about for years afterwards.
    Well, this thread really took off...

We're back and it was amazing.

I never did get around to checking out any live music, but the first time we went horseback riding (we went twice!), I did run into someone who was working as a roadie for the David Byrne/St. Vincent show. She had some time to kill the day before the show so she went riding in the group we were in.

I was kinda hoping she'd put me on the guest list for the show or something, but it was not to be.
  • chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    im reading & watching videos of iceland & the paranormal. pretty amazing people & place
    iceland is 6,000 square miles smaller than pennsylvania & just over 12,000 more in poulation than pittsburg
    iceland 319,014 people as of 2011. 307,484 pittsburg

i believe 46,000 square miles = pennsylvania
    iceland 40,000 square miles
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick wrote:
    im reading & watching videos of iceland & the paranormal. pretty amazing people & place
    iceland is 6,000 square miles smaller than pennsylvania & just over 12,000 more in poulation than pittsburg

Any mention of the "asteroid theory"?

Basically, the thought is that the asteroid that hit the earth and wiped out the dinosaurs hit in the middle of the ocean, in the spot where Iceland is now.
  • chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    JTH wrote:
    chadwick wrote:

Any mention of the "asteroid theory"?

Basically, the thought is that the asteroid that hit the earth and wiped out the dinosaurs hit in the middle of the ocean, in the spot where Iceland is now.
    wow, never heard that
    what im reading & watching are about spirits in boulders, ghosts, sea monsters & all things paranormal. they are very earthy people. an entire classroom including the teacher say they watched a large sea monster for 10 minutes in a lake just outside their classroom windows.

funky

another thing interesting is that paranormal happenings in iceland are considered common place by icelandic folks
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    JTH wrote:
    Well, this thread really took off...

We're back and it was amazing.

I never did get around to checking out any live music, but the first time we went horseback riding (we went twice!), I did run into someone who was working as a roadie for the David Byrne/St. Vincent show. She had some time to kill the day before the show so she went riding in the group we were in.

I was kinda hoping she'd put me on the guest list for the show or something, but it was not to be.
    Probably gives you some idea how many people vacation in Iceland. :lol:

I'm glad you went horseback riding! Like I said, it made a big impression on my nephew as a little boy, enough that I'd do it I ever go.

I have heard the asteroid theory. Supposedly the asteroid that killed the dinosaurs either landed where Iceland is or near Yucatan. Don't ask me how people make these calls.