Options

Strategic late start at Wrigley

2»

Comments

• Options
    iamicaiamica Chicago Posts: 2,628
    I think they started late because they weren't sure what the weather was going to do yet, and they wanted to feel it out. Honestly, if they had started right at 7:30 and then had to stop early, I don't think we would have got a full show - the city probably would have just said, "OK, enough songs were played and we don't have to give refunds, so let's just pull the plug". That would have been awful.

When I was at the Noblesville show in 2010, they started like 1.5 hours late because of a thunderstorm. That's the crappy part of playing outdoor shows, but I think they handled it the best way possible. If they had played a bunch of fast songs before or after the break, people would have been riled up and it might have caused something dangerous to happen. I think they did the right thing, and kudos to their road manager for getting the city to let them play that late. That kind of thing is unheard of in Chicago. I don't know of any other outdoor act that ever got to play a show that late. We were lucky.
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,542
    Go Beavers wrote:
    Has anyone here been to a show that started on the stated time on the ticket?

Exactly. Never once for a minute thought they'd start at 7:30. Not even 8:00. They started after 8:00 at London so I don't think there is a conspiracy here folks. 7:30 is too early to get everyone in their seats. That is why there are openers normally.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    JTH wrote:
    Get_Right wrote:
    ...in case you forgot wrigley only recently started holding night games.
    HA HA HA HA HA!

Only recently. That's a good one.

The 25th anniversary of the first night game was two days ago.

Man, time flies. Could have sworn it was not that long ago. :fp:

But still you get my point. Baseball games are not rock concerts and they don't create the same amount of noise.
  • Options
    JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238
    Get_Right wrote:
    Man, time flies. Could have sworn it was not that long ago. :fp:

But still you get my point. Baseball games are not rock concerts and they don't create the same amount of noise.
    I'm right there with you. I was at that game and I vividly remember the rain just pouring down in sheets and holding out hope that the game would resume at some point. When I heard it was the 25th anniversary, it was definitely a "holy shit" moment for me.

And yeah, night games can run past midnight and get noisy, but it's not sustained noise and certainly not at that volume. Mostly, they're relatively quiet. In fact, I think they're required to cut out all the music after a certain time (with the exception of the 7th inning stretch).
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    Go Beavers wrote:
    Has anyone here been to a show that started on the stated time on the ticket?

Exactly. Never once for a minute thought they'd start at 7:30. Not even 8:00. They started after 8:00 at London so I don't think there is a conspiracy here folks. 7:30 is too early to get everyone in their seats. That is why there are openers normally.
    same as wrigley,i think was after 8 pm they started
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,556
    I would bet a large sum of money that the late start was to see what the first line of storms was going to do. The first line went thru about 7:30 and went north of Chicago.

There was someone hired to keep an eye on the weather and make the appropriate calls.
    That's what I think it was too.

At any rate, I don't really care. it didn't bother me that they started late.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I would bet a large sum of money that the late start was to see what the first line of storms was going to do. The first line went thru about 7:30 and went north of Chicago.

There was someone hired to keep an eye on the weather and make the appropriate calls.
    That's what I think it was too.

At any rate, I don't really care. it didn't bother me that they started late.
    yeah,,who cares,travel 6000 and ill pay attention if started at 7:30 or 8:00??who cares
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    michaelomichaelo Morgantown, PA. USA Posts: 64
    I was there and had a really great time. I met a new friend from LA.If you're reading this, hi KC. Met a fellow who told great stories of young Jammers and Pumpkins in the city years ago during the rain delay and had the pleasure of hearing Eddie compliment the fans in a way I never heard in any of the other 2000 concerts I've attended. I'm not a Cubs fan, nor a baseball fan at all but even I sang along to Someday We'll Go All The Way. The amount of love surging through the entire venue was so soothing and comforting. I've seen a lot of bands since 1972 and this show was right up there with Floyd doing the Wall, Neil and the Bluenotes in a bar, the list goes on for more than I feel like typing. How lucky we are to have a band that cares about us as much as we care about them.
  • Options
    joberschlakejoberschlake Columbus, OH Posts: 1,179
    Wrigley security came out by us during the rain delay and said to their friends that the show was supposed to start at 7:30 and they had no idea why it didn't because the band was just sitting around backstage hanging out. Not sure if that's true, but that's what I overheard the staff telling their friends.
    1998: Cleveland
    2000: Cincinnati, Columbus
    2003: Cleveland, Columbus
    2004: Toledo
    2006: Cleveland, Cincinnati, Gorge Night 1
    2008: Washington D.C.
    2009: Chicago Night 1, Seattle Night 1, Philadelphia Night 3, Philadelphia Night 4
    2010: Columbus, Indianapolis, Cleveland
    2011: Detroit EV, Chicago 1 EV
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: Chicago, Pittsburgh
    2014: Cincinnati
  • Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    Wrigley security came out by us during the rain delay and said to their friends that the show was supposed to start at 7:30 and they had no idea why it didn't because the band was just sitting around backstage hanging out. Not sure if that's true, but that's what I overheard the staff telling their friends.

Sitting around backstage and hanging out is what bands do when the crew is setting up. It's not like everything was ready to go and Pearl Jam was just relaxing back there, shooting the shit.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,542
    I just don't think people are getting it. Springsteen doesn't have an opener and starts 45 minutes after the start time on the ticket every show just about it. I saw Soundgarden without an opener this year and they started a half hour after the time on the ticket.

The time on the ticket does not mean the band is going to start playing at that time. Too many people assumed this and now can't wrap their brains around the idea that the band didn't start late, but that they got on stage earlier than they would without an opener but not as early when the opener would usually have gotten on stage. I don't think they got on stage late if they never intended to get on stage at 7:30.
  • Options
    I just don't think people are getting it. Springsteen doesn't have an opener and starts 45 minutes after the start time on the ticket every show just about it. I saw Soundgarden without an opener this year and they started a half hour after the time on the ticket.

The time on the ticket does not mean the band is going to start playing at that time. Too many people assumed this and now can't wrap their brains around the idea that the band didn't start late, but that they got on stage earlier than they would without an opener but not as early when the opener would usually have gotten on stage. I don't think they got on stage late if they never intended to get on stage at 7:30.
    i agree..when they have an opening band,that band goes at 7:30 ends like 8:00-8:15
    and usually pj goes at 8:30-8:45
  • Options
    Trading StoriesTrading Stories Boston Posts: 84
    Get_Right wrote:
    pureoc wrote:
    I love how the 'neighbors' of Wrigley get upset when bands play past curfew. I grew up going to Fenway and buildings like these have been part of the landscape for over 100yrs. There are a handful of baseball games that go well past midnight for whatever reason (xtra inn, rain delays ect). These 'neighbors' should know what they are getting into when they choose to rent or buy near the stadium. These landmarks were there first and people need to deal with what comes with the territory. Just my 2 cents.

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

This has been my thoughts on the Wrigleyville residents pissing and moaning about the renovations and noise and extra lighting it will bring in. Have any of them been living there 100+ years? Doubt it, so shut the hell up. Ball park was there before you, you moved to that area BECAUSE of the ball park, and you should do your research BEFORE you move somewhere like most logical people do. Really sick and tired of the residents whining like babies. Lastly Wrigleyville isn't a cheap place to live so I'm sure they can afford to a quieter neighborhood if that is there issue.

As for the late start, I totally buy it and being Chicago politics I would not be surprised that money was paid under the table. I remember seeing an article in the trib shortly after the show saying they had to get the wrigleyville common councils approval to extend the curfew. I wonder what else was part of that deal? We will never know for sure but I know this band would have paid the fine/black mail in a second to reward their dedicated fans!

A pearl jam concert is not a baseball game. And in case you forgot wrigley only recently started holding night games.
    These people have lived there for years with the expectation and knowledge that it will be quiet at night.
    They have only started allowing the shows since the economy tanked and the local merchants need the business.
    Imagine the kid living above you playing drums at 2 in the morning. Not pleasant.

Just saying.

I can certainly understand residents frustrations with noise, and crowds, but the stadium is the neighborhood. Wrigley makes Wrigleyville a desirable place to live. It's similar to when people build beach front property then complain when the ocean swallows their home. People want to live there because it's desirable but do not want to deal with the negatives that go along with it. It's similar to NIMBYism.
    Hartford 9/13/98, Montreal 6/29/03, Mansfield 7/2/03 7/3/03 7/11/03, Boston 9/28/04, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield 6/28/08 6/30/08, Chicago 8/24/09, Boston 5/17/10, East Troy 9/3/11 9/4/11, Worcester 10/15 10/16, Hartford 10/25 Fenway 1&2 EV - Boston 8/1 8/2, Albany 8/6
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,437

I don't think people are saying they normally expect that band to start at the time on the ticket, but rather that they should have started on time in this isolated case due to the ominous weather forecast.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,496
    on2legs wrote:

I don't think people are saying they normally expect that band to start at the time on the ticket, but rather that they should have started on time in this isolated case due to the ominous weather forecast.

I think some people are suggesting that had they started at 7:30 sharp, and played 19 songs over 90 minutes, Wrigley, the promoters etc. may have called it a show at that point, and that they would not have been allowed them to retake the stage at midnight.

It's as good a theory as any, I just don't know that I buy into it.
  • Options
    kasedougkasedoug The Golden State Posts: 2,890
    on2legs wrote:

I think some people are suggesting that had they started at 7:30 sharp, and played 19 songs over 90 minutes, Wrigley, the promoters etc. may have called it a show at that point, and that they would not have been allowed them to retake the stage at midnight.

It's as good a theory as any, I just don't know that I buy into it.

Hi back to Mike (michaelo) earlier in the thread! Thanks again for sharing your extra ticket with me. I had a blast!

The 90 minute theory could be very accurate as that's what's often considered a "full concert." Not by PJ standards, but just in general. I was at the Tom Petty concert in LA back in June that was ended early due to the venue being over capacity. Tom had mentioned a few songs before they called it that they were being told by the fire marshall that they were over capacity (due to the venue overselling the place under the table) and that they'd either have to move 100 people up to the balcony (not enough room) or that 100 people would have to leave early. Nobody went for either option, so the band played a song or two more and once they hit 90 minutes, that's when a venue person came out to announce they were calling the rest of the show off. They could have delayed the start or not started the show at all if it was truly that much of a fire hazard, but they let them start and get through enough where they wouldn't have to issue refunds. Luckily, Tom and the band stepped up after the fact and offered full refunds.

Would have loved to get the full intended show in, but I'm completely happy with the experience and new friends met.

Oh, and one venue that pretty much always starts shows at the time printed on the ticket is the Santa Barbara Bowl, due to their 10pm curfew. Learned to be on time to all shows there the first time I went to show there in college where we were walking up the hill when the opener started right at the stroke of the printed time.
  • Options
    papa_pearls_jam.pj20papa_pearls_jam.pj20 Chicago USA Posts: 2,142
    Strategic, no...fortunate, yes

With a 7:30pm start, the last song would have finished shortly before the storms rolled in, maybe a little later than the time the actual concert stopped, and then would have been canceled when the storms rolled in.

I'm very satisfied.

I thought the whole thing was...EPIC!
    Posimists. Fuck the pessimists...fuck'em.
  • Options
    Indian SummerIndian Summer Posts: 2,296
    The late start was my only complaint for the Wrigley show. It was disrespectful to the fans who had made travel arangements, stood in merch lines all day, and put up with that crowded subway to get in their seats by 7:30. When it says an Evening with Pearl Jam starts at 7:30, get your ass on stage at 7:30. If you don't want to play until 8:15, give me a great opening band instead.
    "It's all happening"
  • Options
    The late start was my only complaint for the Wrigley show. It was disrespectful to the fans who had made travel arangements, stood in merch lines all day, and put up with that crowded subway to get in their seats by 7:30. When it says an Evening with Pearl Jam starts at 7:30, get your ass on stage at 7:30. If you don't want to play until 8:15, give me a great opening band instead.
    I have never ever been to a concert that started on time, so I'm not sure why anyone would expect it to suddenly happen at this one, especially with the weather reports and tracking they were probably stressing over at the time. Can someone please explain to me why they suddenly expect a 7:30 show to start at 7:30 when that happening is so rare that I've never actually experienced it before? And BTW, there were still probably at least 10,000 people not in their seats at 7:30. Thousands and thousands of people were still in merch lines and food lines and beer lines. So starting with a quarter of the seats empty would have been pretty stupid anyway.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757

I know this wasnt the original intention of the thread, but i think that the slow opener and sit down encore is here to stay. They have some great slow song as a band, ed solo has some great slow songs. At this point in time, especially with a 26 show tour upcoming, the band needs to practice what they preach and "pace themselves." will they open with go into animal? Yes, sometimes, but i expect them to reign it in at some point in every show.[/quote]

JESUS I HOPE NOT. :fp:[/quote]

WE ONLY WANT TO RAAAAAAAWK!!!

(PS -- At this point in history, slow PJ and mid-tempo PJ is the best PJ. I wouldn't mind an entire sit-down show if it meant I never have to sit through another half-assed version of Animal or State of Love And Trust again.)
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    Indian SummerIndian Summer Posts: 2,296
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I have never ever been to a concert that started on time, so I'm not sure why anyone would expect it to suddenly happen at this one, especially with the weather reports and tracking they were probably stressing over at the time. Can someone please explain to me why they suddenly expect a 7:30 show to start at 7:30 when that happening is so rare that I've never actually experienced it before? And BTW, there were still probably at least 10,000 people not in their seats at 7:30. Thousands and thousands of people were still in merch lines and food lines and beer lines. So starting with a quarter of the seats empty would have been pretty stupid anyway.

I would say 98% of the shows i attend start within 10 minutes of the printed start time. And the best way to put asses in the seats is to start the show. Ive been in a poster line in the past when Ed would take the stage for a pre-set acoustic, and missed out.
    "It's all happening"
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:

I would say 98% of the shows i attend start within 10 minutes of the printed start time. And the best way to put asses in the seats is to start the show. Ive been in a poster line in the past when Ed would take the stage for a pre-set acoustic, and missed out.
    Wow. I have never once been to an concert that started as early as 10 minutes after it says on the ticket. So that is weird that 98% of the shows you are going to start that close to on time.

It was Wrigley. Ed wouldn't want to open that particular show with Release with a quarter of the seats empty. Not that I think that is actually why they started as late as they did. I think KT was because they needed to wait on weather info before even starting. But even if that's not the case, there was obviously some reasonable explanation for starting late. it's not they were back there twisting their mustaches and going mwah haha, let's see how long we can make those suckers wait. They were delayed. Big deal, you know? :)