the wrist watch debate

chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
edited August 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
does the wrist watch bother your wrist? how can we make a better more comfortable wrist watch? i've even used a chain watch like i was some kinda old man in bibs sporting a circular watch on a chain dangeling from my bib's pocket.

what do we need to do?
for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
I am tired; my heart is
sick and sad. From where
the sun stands I will fight
no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSa-n-tV3mU0OVK49hLx57BmR7pnxdMCOfu684IyNoohytdV19p
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    Jason P wrote:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSa-n-tV3mU0OVK49hLx57BmR7pnxdMCOfu684IyNoohytdV19p
    that guy sure as shit made his way in this world. i am very thankful i never pushed any amount of money in his bullshit direction

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,798
    What I don't like about my "work" timex is how stinky the leather watch band gets and how hard it is to find one that fits the watch and my wrist and is washable.

Used to hate watches period, but people change I guess.

The REAL debate is digital or traditional face? I go old school.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • MotoDCMotoDC Posts: 947
    Interesting, my rubber strap is much stinkier than my leather strap. It's like it traps dead skin cells in there -- kinda smells like when you first take a cast off, know that smell? Nasty.

Nothing wrong with digital, they have their place, but the REAL debate is quartz vs. automatic (i.e., mechanical). For me, automatic all the way. The nuanced genius that is the inner workings of an automatic watch represents the perfect unity of science and art in my mind.

In terms of irritation, I've found it's much like my wedding band -- I used to futz with it all the time, but I'm used to it now.
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    don't wear one ... actually read a few years back that watch sales were slipping due to the cell phone ... don't know if thats still the case.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    The battery in my watch died a few years ago and I never replaced it. I don't miss it at all. My phone is always in my pocket.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    i bought an expensive watch. I wear it when I go out. Other than that, I use my cell phone.

I need a kangaroo holder for the days when I don't wear it :corn:
    8/29/00*5/2/03*7/2/03*7/3/03*7/11/03*9/28/04*5/24/06*6/28/08*5/15/10*5/17/10* 10/16/13*10/25/13* 4/28/16*4/28/16*8/5/16*8/7/16 EV 6/15/11 Brad 10/27/02
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    They don't bother my wrist at all so I'm not sure any design changes are needed. And my phone will never replace my watch. I'm not attached to my phone and often leave it in the car or wherever. And I check the time constantly, especially when working, and I'd rather just glance at my wrist than pull out my phone each time I want to know the time.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • jethrojam420jethrojam420 Posts: 1,075
    chadwick wrote:
    does the wrist watch bother your wrist? how can we make a better more comfortable wrist watch? i've even used a chain watch like i was some kinda old man in bibs sporting a circular watch on a chain dangeling from my bib's pocket.

what do we need to do?

oh the links are way better when rounded. They dont grab onto your wrist hair and rip it out.
    8/29/00*5/2/03*7/2/03*7/3/03*7/11/03*9/28/04*5/24/06*6/28/08*5/15/10*5/17/10* 10/16/13*10/25/13* 4/28/16*4/28/16*8/5/16*8/7/16 EV 6/15/11 Brad 10/27/02
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    I've been wearing a watch since I've been about 12. Got a nice Swiss Army watch when I was 13 or so.
    I realize how silly it is to wear a clock on your wrist these days with cellphones and such, but I feel naked if I'm not wearing a watch. I got a Tag a couple years ago. Great watch!
    i do believe i'd like a nice watch it's just that every one i've ever tried bugged the heck out of my wrist. i have large wrists & it is uncomfortable to wear a watch, even shirt sleeves tend to bug me, hence i roll 'em up if they are even slightly tight

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • i bought myself a very nice watch as a graduation present when i got my master's. i wore it all the time, and it was all metal and heavy and did not fit quite right. as a result it was always hanging down onto my hand. after a year or so of this, i could not tolerate it anymore. in june of 2006 i was unable to fully extend my wrist, and was unable to turn my palm up towards the sky. i am a guitar player and we had a gig in a few months at busch stadium for new years eve and i had to be able to turn my palm up. i stopped wearing the watch in august and it did not improve. i saw a hand surgeon, had an mri, and was diagnosed with severe tendinosis and a large ganglion cyst that actually went down between my ulna and radius, which is why my pronation/supination motion was limited. i had to have surgery around halloween time, and after surgery they showed me the cyst, and no shit, this thing looked like a huge green grape. i was ready to play guitar again around thanksgiving time and i now have a 2 inch long scar on my wrist. i tried wearing the watch again 2 years ago and began to have the same problem. i don't think i was ever meant to wear a watch... :fp:
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • JTHJTH Posts: 3,238
    I used to wear watches all the time but then once I started wearing a pager I stopped wearing a watch. Then the pager gave way to the cell phone.

A couple years ago I realized that it's a pain in the ass to dig the phone out of my pocket whenever I just want to check the time (plus, there are times when you look like a total jackass doing it) so I bought a new watch.

Actually, I did this just before PJ20 at Alpine because I was also concerned about killing my phone's battery that weekend.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    i bought myself a very nice watch as a graduation present when i got my master's. i wore it all the time, and it was all metal and heavy and did not fit quite right. as a result it was always hanging down onto my hand. after a year or so of this, i could not tolerate it anymore. in june of 2006 i was unable to fully extend my wrist, and was unable to turn my palm up towards the sky. i am a guitar player and we had a gig in a few months at busch stadium for new years eve and i had to be able to turn my palm up. i stopped wearing the watch in august and it did not improve. i saw a hand surgeon, had an mri, and was diagnosed with severe tendinosis and a large ganglion cyst that actually went down between my ulna and radius, which is why my pronation/supination motion was limited. i had to have surgery around halloween time, and after surgery they showed me the cyst, and no shit, this thing looked like a huge green grape. i was ready to play guitar again around thanksgiving time and i now have a 2 inch long scar on my wrist. i tried wearing the watch again 2 years ago and began to have the same problem. i don't think i was ever meant to wear a watch... :fp:
    Wow, that's pretty crazy!
    i bought myself a very nice watch as a graduation present when i got my master's. i wore it all the time, and it was all metal and heavy and did not fit quite right. as a result it was always hanging down onto my hand. after a year or so of this, i could not tolerate it anymore. in june of 2006 i was unable to fully extend my wrist, and was unable to turn my palm up towards the sky. i am a guitar player and we had a gig in a few months at busch stadium for new years eve and i had to be able to turn my palm up. i stopped wearing the watch in august and it did not improve. i saw a hand surgeon, had an mri, and was diagnosed with severe tendinosis and a large ganglion cyst that actually went down between my ulna and radius, which is why my pronation/supination motion was limited. i had to have surgery around halloween time, and after surgery they showed me the cyst, and no shit, this thing looked like a huge green grape. i was ready to play guitar again around thanksgiving time and i now have a 2 inch long scar on my wrist. i tried wearing the watch again 2 years ago and began to have the same problem. i don't think i was ever meant to wear a watch... :fp:
    got a cd?

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • oceaninmyeyesoceaninmyeyes Posts: 4,646
    lukin2006 wrote:
    don't wear one ... actually read a few years back that watch sales were slipping due to the cell phone ... don't know if thats still the case.
    I doubt if they will go away completely. It is hard to time a pulse with a phone, or digital for me at least. Old school all the way. ;)
    And the sun it may be shining . . . but there's an ocean in my eyes