racism row

guypjfreakguypjfreak Posts: 2,281
edited August 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
ive just seen opera saying about how a shop assistant wouldnt sell her a bag cos she was black [coloured]and then a lady on the BBC news saying the same about how she walks into a shop and the security guard looks at her different and that it makes her and people like her [coloured] feel discriminated and it got me thinking ..

now i have black [coloured] friends and they are top of the range BUT when ever I go into a shop over here the security guards are coloured if i got into town the bouncers are coloured if i got to festivals the security are coloured and mostly in citys the youngsters are coloured ...[ ALL OF THESE ARE MOSTLY ok ] but heres the thing
A ..why is this so i mean are coloured people more scary ........not really
B..when i go to festis the security can and has been well over the top ie menacing in your face and at times dam right violent WHY
C.. nearly ever shop security guard over here [ dont know about over the pond ] is coloured
my point being are we white [uncoloured] people
A ..not good enough to do these jobs cos were not intimidating enough
B ..are we in turn not being discriminated against ....cos i for one do feel intimidated when a coloured security/bouncer is checking me out when walking around a shop or at festivals ..

im not being racist just looking at it from a different stand point .....
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• SnakeduckSnakeduck Posts: 1,056
    Please report to HR for sensitivity training.
  • what about the asian [yellow] people? i'm afraid of their judo chops and ninja tricks
  • SnakeduckSnakeduck Posts: 1,056
    And do Mexicans really need hats that big? Like I don't realize they are hiding weapons and drugs in those sombreros...
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Snakeduck wrote:
    And do Mexicans really need hats that big? Like I don't realize they are hiding weapons and drugs in those sombreros...

Machete-trailer.jpg
  • I have no idea what you said. Not even sure it was English.

But, yes. Stupid and ignorant people tend to be more racist. I can't tell if you are or not b/c I can't understand a thing you said.

Was that your question?
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    I don't know how things work in Dorset, England. But if you ever come over to the States you're going to want to avoid calling them "coloured". :lol:
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,951
    I don't know how things work in Dorset, England. But if you ever come over to the States you're going to want to avoid calling them "coloured". :lol:

I was thinking the same thing. People find the "u" really offensive.
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    I dont like the opera either.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    Her talk show is very popular tho.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158

:o :shock: What!?!? Check This Out, may change your mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qk3dESfyfg

forward to 1:49

the opera?

opera-singer.jpg
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305

the opera?

opera-singer.jpg
    THANK YOU! :lol::lol:

I am STILL laughing! :lol::lol::lol:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
    ;):D
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,889
    I have no idea what you said. Not even sure it was English.

But, yes. Stupid and ignorant people tend to be more racist. I can't tell if you are or not b/c I can't understand a thing you said.

Was that your question?
    +1
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • guypjfreakguypjfreak Posts: 2,281
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Was that your question?
    +1
    i did reply to this earlier but must have not pressed submit ............needless to say no im no racist sorry you cant understand my point but hey ho all im saying is hopefully the blacks wont thing that discrimination is still as wide spread as theses incidents on tv portray ....

and SatansFuton wot do YOU call a black man over we dont call them black we say coloured which in my deepest Dorset way seems more respectful
    guypjfreak wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Was that your question?
    +1
    i did reply to this earlier but must have not pressed submit ............needless to say no im no racist sorry you cant understand my point but hey ho all im saying is hopefully the blacks wont thing that discrimination is still as wide spread as theses incidents on tv portray ....

and SatansFuton wot do YOU call a black man over we dont call them black we say coloured which in my deepest Dorset way seems more respectful
    The "coloured" thing was pretty surprising... That's considered really racist in North America, and I have trouble believing it's not considered racist by people where you're from too. I've been to England, and I'm quite sure that is not the acceptable term.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • MotoDCMotoDC Posts: 947
    Go Beavers wrote:

:lol:

Regarding the actual terminology, it's all so manufactured and arbitrary. Once it was negroes, then it was colored people, then it was african-americans, then it was blacks. Blacks and african-americans are the accepted terms now (in the US), though like anything, context is important. It's certainly not something to get all worked up about. Frankly, now that I think about it more, although no one would get offended by "african-american", alot of people would look at you funny.

Unfortunate that we have to bucket people in any case, but it's just human nature (evolution, baby) to categorize (people, things, concepts, whatever) in order to be able to get through a day and make any kind of decision in this complex world.
    MotoDC wrote:
    Go Beavers wrote:

:lol:

Regarding the actual terminology, it's all so manufactured and arbitrary. Once it was negroes, then it was colored people, then it was african-americans, then it was blacks. Blacks and african-americans are the accepted terms now (in the US), though like anything, context is important. It's certainly not something to get all worked up about. Frankly, now that I think about it more, although no one would get offended by "african-american", alot of people would look at you funny.

Unfortunate that we have to bucket people in any case, but it's just human nature (evolution, baby) to categorize (people, things, concepts, whatever) in order to be able to get through a day and make any kind of decision in this complex world.
    And once it was Niggers. Then there were Chinks. Chugs. Spics. Kikes..... At some point all of these terms were considered acceptable by the ruling majority. There is a reason why what's acceptable has evolved. There are a lot of people who DO find outdated racist terms very offensive, and not at all for manufactured or arbitrary reasons. The reasons are pretty specific and sound. So people probably should be called out when they are using racially offensive terms.
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    MotoDC wrote:

And once it was Niggers. Then there were Chinks. Chugs. Spics. Kikes..... At some point all of these terms were considered acceptable by the ruling majority. There is a reason why what's acceptable has evolved. There are a lot of people who DO find outdated racist terms very offensive, and not at all for manufactured or arbitrary reasons. The reasons are pretty specific and sound. So people probably should be called out when they are using racially offensive terms.
    Sorry, I don't accept that the n-slur (or any of the other examples you provided) is equivalent in intent or offensiveness to the other terminology that I provided. Apples and oranges.
    MotoDC wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    MotoDC wrote:

Sorry, I don't accept that the n-slur (or any of the other examples you provided) is equivalent in intent or offensiveness to the other terminology that I provided. Apples and oranges.
    How are we to measure level of offensiveness?? It's not easy - that's why the best idea is to avoid ALL offensive racial slurs, even if you happen to believe (rightly or wrongly) that it isn't AS offensive as other terms.
  • guypjfreakguypjfreak Posts: 2,281
    ive only ever heard a black [coloured] person call another black person a nigger apart from calling them selves that you never hear that word not down here any way thats considered really offensive .
    they are even trying to change the word nigger in the film THE DAM BUSTERS [true].......I think its hard to get across wot one is trying to say in a text where as if we were talking over a pint then some misunderstandings wouldn't occur .
    also over here its not Africa but Jamaica where most black people like to hail from even if they were born down the road in the local hospital ...
  • This could get messy :corn:
    Happy up here in my tree
  • ChoccoloccotideChoccoloccotide A grass shack nailed to a pinewood floor Posts: 810
    guypjfreak wrote:
    ive only ever heard a black [coloured] person call another black person a nigger apart from calling them selves that you never hear that word not down here any way thats considered really offensive .
    they are even trying to change the word nigger in the film THE DAM BUSTERS [true].......I think its hard to get across wot one is trying to say in a text where as if we were talking over a pint then some misunderstandings wouldn't occur .
    also over here its not Africa but Jamaica where most black people like to hail from even if they were born down the road in the local hospital ...

Not trying to be an asshole, but try using some capitalization and correct punctuation. That will make it easier to read and understand your future posts.
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    MotoDC wrote:

How are we to measure level of offensiveness?? It's not easy - that's why the best idea is to avoid ALL offensive racial slurs, even if you happen to believe (rightly or wrongly) that it isn't AS offensive as other terms.
    My point was that the labels I provided were just that, labels. They weren't slurs. Yours were clearly slurs and always were. Yes, slurs used to be more accepted whereas today they are less so, but they were still slurs. Negro, African-American, and colored were not slurs. Sure a racist fuck could use them with the right invective and make the sound as such, but that doesn't make the inherently slurs. The fact that they sound anachronistic and "wrong" now to our hypersensitive ears doesn't make them slurs.
    MotoDC wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    My point was that the labels I provided were just that, labels. They weren't slurs. Yours were clearly slurs and always were. Yes, slurs used to be more accepted whereas today they are less so, but they were still slurs. Negro, African-American, and colored were not slurs. Sure a racist fuck could use them with the right invective and make the sound as such, but that doesn't make the inherently slurs. The fact that they sound anachronistic and "wrong" now to our hypersensitive ears doesn't make them slurs.
    "Coloured" is definitely a slur NOW though. Try walking up to a group of African-Americans and refer to them as "coloureds" and I think you would quickly realize that it definitely is a racial slur.
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    "Coloured" is definitely a slur NOW though. Try walking up to a group of African-Americans and refer to them as "coloureds" and I think you would quickly realize that it definitely is a racial slur.
    Couple of things here:
    1) In a way you're illustrating what I meant by arbitrary -- once it wasn't offensive, now it is. I'm not saying we shouldn't respect another person's claim to self-respect and go out of our way to insult/offend, but we should keep ourselves intellectually grounded here in what's a real vs imagined slight.
    2) Your example also highlights what I meant about the invective being applied. I could go up to that same group and refer to them as "blacks" in such a way as to offend as well.
    3) This is quickly turning semantic, but to me "slur" is something used to insult. Intended as such. "Colored", denotatively, is a physical description (however backward and anachronistic it may sound). Nigg** is not in any way a "meaningful" description. It's nothing but negative and carries the full weight of the racism that spawned it. What I will grant you on this point is that, since "colored" is a physical description, it could be argued to carry the implication that one could characterize a person based at least partially on that alone. Clearly not something we should be striving for in modern society.
    MotoDC wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Couple of things here:
    1) In a way you're illustrating what I meant by arbitrary -- once it wasn't offensive, now it is. I'm not saying we shouldn't respect another person's claim to self-respect and go out of our way to insult/offend, but we should keep ourselves intellectually grounded here in what's a real vs imagined slight.
    2) Your example also highlights what I meant about the invective being applied. I could go up to that same group and refer to them as "blacks" in such a way as to offend as well.
    3) This is quickly turning semantic, but to me "slur" is something used to insult. Intended as such. "Colored", denotatively, is a physical description (however backward and anachronistic it may sound). Nigg** is not in any way a "meaningful" description. It's nothing but negative and carries the full weight of the racism that spawned it. What I will grant you on this point is that, since "colored" is a physical description, it could be argued to carry the implication that one could characterize a person based at least partially on that alone. Clearly not something we should be striving for in modern society.
    1) It's not arbitrary. I don't understand why you are calling it arbitrary. There are very specific and well-justified reasons why that is now a racial slur. It's also not an "imagined" slight. Just because someone is too ignorant to know that the term is a racial slur doesn't make it any less offensive and doesn't make it any more arbitrary.
    2) You could go up to any group of people and say pretty much ANYTHING in the right tone of voice and offend them. I don't really find that relevant here.
    3) I don't think it's semantic AT ALL. Calling black people "coloureds" is completely racist and insulting. Just looked up the history of the N-word:

Nigger is a noun in the English language. The word originated as a neutral term referring to black people, as a variation of the Spanish/Portuguese noun negro, a descendant of the Latin adjective niger ("color black").[1] Often used slightingly, by the mid 20th century, particularly in the United States, it suggested that its target is extremely unsophisticated. Its usage had become unambiguously pejorative, a common ethnic slur usually directed at blacks of Sub-Saharan African descent.

..... So I guess Nigg** is also okay (no), since you could actually pretty much place the exact same paragraph to "coloured" minus the Latin connection.
  • AllNiteThingAllNiteThing Posts: 1,114
    :corn:
    24 years old, mid-life crisis
    nowadays hits you when you're young
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    1) It's not arbitrary. I don't understand why you are calling it arbitrary. There are very specific and well-justified reasons why that is now a racial slur. It's also not an "imagined" slight. Just because someone is too ignorant to know that the term is a racial slur doesn't make it any less offensive and doesn't make it any more arbitrary.
    2) You could go up to any group of people and say pretty much ANYTHING in the right tone of voice and offend them. I don't really find that relevant here.
    3) I don't think it's semantic AT ALL. Calling black people "coloureds" is completely racist and insulting. Just looked up the history of the N-word:

Nigger is a noun in the English language. The word originated as a neutral term referring to black people, as a variation of the Spanish/Portuguese noun negro, a descendant of the Latin adjective niger ("color black").[1] Often used slightingly, by the mid 20th century, particularly in the United States, it suggested that its target is extremely unsophisticated. Its usage had become unambiguously pejorative, a common ethnic slur usually directed at blacks of Sub-Saharan African descent.

..... So I guess Nigg** is also okay (no), since you could actually pretty much place the exact same paragraph to "coloured" minus the Latin connection.
    1) So "black" is cool but "colored" is not. Those words could almost be synonyms and you're telling me there's not an aspect of arbitrariness in this. OOOk. Easy come easy go. Look I don't have any special desire to be able to call anyone "colored", but are you sure you understand what I mean by arbitrary? I was clear in a prior post that I'm willing the accept the necessity of considering other people's claim to self-respect, at least to an extent, but if we're going to have an academic discussion we need to be a little more analytical than "it hurts that guy's feelings therefore it's inherently bad".

2) Haha, no, you really couldn't, not in any reasonable sense. Try it with "bubble gum" or "leotards". Good luck not giggling.

3) My #3 was a discussion of the difference in understanding of the meaning of "slur". Therefore semantic. "Slur" implies intent on behalf of the speaker, in my opinion, or at a minimum that's a consideration in the determination of whether something was a slur. The mere choice of someone to be offended by something is not in and of itself enough to make that something a "slur" or inherently offensive.
    MotoDC wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

1) So "black" is cool but "colored" is not. Those words could almost be synonyms and you're telling me there's not an aspect of arbitrariness in this. OOOk. Easy come easy go. Look I don't have any special desire to be able to call anyone "colored", but are you sure you understand what I mean by arbitrary? I was clear in a prior post that I'm willing the accept the necessity of considering other people's claim to self-respect, at least to an extent, but if we're going to have an academic discussion we need to be a little more analytical than "it hurts that guy's feelings therefore it's inherently bad".

2) Haha, no, you really couldn't, not in any reasonable sense. Try it with "bubble gum" or "leotards". Good luck not giggling.

3) My #3 was a discussion of the difference in understanding of the meaning of "slur". Therefore semantic. "Slur" implies intent on behalf of the speaker, in my opinion, or at a minimum that's a consideration in the determination of whether something was a slur. The mere choice of someone to be offended by something is not in and of itself enough to make that something a "slur" or inherently offensive.
    Black is probably okay because white is okay. It puts the two main players in this issue on equal footing. "Coloured" does not, because it suggests that they are "coloured" and white people are not (I personally think that white people should be called "beige").