Amber Phone Alerts

mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
edited August 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Let me start by saying that I hope this girl is found and that creep is locked up.

That said, I got two Amber Alerts sent to my iPhone today while I was working in Vegas. The first, the entire clinic started ringing. Dozens of phones going off at once!! So fn annoying!!
The second was on the plane. Doors closed, phones "turned off", plane is taxiing....Amber Alert comes through...about 30 phones ring. Flight attendant at first was mad then started laughing.
It's so fn annoying!

Sorry future abductees...this guy has turned this bullshit off.

Anyone else have to deal with this nonsense?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• StevieGStevieG Posts: 850
    This "nonsense" might actually save a child's life!! The nerve of them to interfere with your mundane activities. Would you feel the same if your child was abducted?

Seriously man, get a grip!!
    Barrie, ON - Aug 22, 1998
    London, ON - Sep 12, 2005
    Toronto, ON - Aug 21, 2009
    Toronto, ON- Sep 11 2011
    Hamilton, ON- Sep 15 2011
    London, ON- Jul 16 2013
    Buffalo, NY- Oct 12 2013
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    I guess I wouldn't mind so much if it was a simple text message. When those phones go off it sounds like a nuke has been launched and we should take cover. It's a bit much...

Kidnappings, fugitives, bank robbers, drug dealers, car jackers... Should we get notified of them too?
  • mca47 wrote:
    I guess I wouldn't mind so much if it was a simple text message. When those phones go off it sounds like a nuke has been launched and we should take cover. It's a bit much...

Kidnappings, fugitives, bank robbers, drug dealers, car jackers... Should we get notified of them too?
    You obviously have no children. Quite the wrong thing to bitch about.
    mca47 wrote:

You obviously have no children. Quite the wrong thing to bitch about.
    I feel for the girl, I want her to be safe... I don't like the process.
    Simple enough.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    california did one the other night for the first time...i was just about to climb into bed and my phone started making an ungodly noise

i'm ok with it, i guess...hopefully the technology can be used on other emergencies (criminal on the loose in your neighborhood, evacuations etc) but amber alerts are pretty much wasted on me...i couldn't identify anyone even if they were right in front of me...just never been that observant
    norm wrote:
    california did one the other night for the first time...i was just about to climb into bed and my phone started making an ungodly noise

i'm ok with it, i guess...hopefully the technology can be used on other emergencies (criminal on the loose in your neighborhood, evacuations etc) but amber alerts are pretty much wasted on me...i couldn't identify anyone even if they were right in front of me...just never been that observant
    Yeah, I realized you can turn off the Amber alerts and leave on Emergency alerts.
    The Amber Alert today was so vague that I could have been sitting right next to them and not realized it.
    Again, I'd be ok if it was a simple text message....not the sound of the world coming to an end. :fp:
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Sounds like you've missed the point.

http://www.alertfm.com/products/alertfm/
    Rygar wrote:

Sorry, but everyone's phone going off to the sound of a Cold War nuclear siren for an Amber Alert for a girl abducted in another state with vague instructions or descriptions...seems like they missed the point.
    mca47 wrote:
    Rygar wrote:

Sorry, but everyone's phone going off to the sound of a Cold War nuclear siren for an Amber Alert for a girl abducted in another state with vague instructions or descriptions...seems like they missed the point.
    Well you left out that it was another state, but that's besides the point (unless they had information that said person was last seen or believed to be heading towards your area/state).
    It's potentially a matter of life and death - they need the message to hit as many people as possible as quickly as possible. The vague instructions are also supposed to include "where to get more information" as they can't give you a novel in one alert.
    Rygar wrote:
    mca47 wrote:
    Rygar wrote:

Well you left out that it was another state, but that's besides the point.
    It's potentially a matter of life and death - they need the message to hit as many people as possible as quickly as possible. The vague instructions are also supposed to include "where to get more information" as they can't give you a novel in one alert.

I'm all for the idea of the alert....just not in the "end of the world" siren.
    I've gotten Emergency alerts in similar means for severe weather on my phone. But those at least had detail.

The messages I got for the Amber Alert basically said "Amber Alert: Man abducted 16 year old girl in S. California". :fp: I could have called the cops on about 50 dads and daughters after getting that.

Again, I'm all for the idea of it just not how it's implemented.
    So you can turn it off but you can't control the tone?

Same idea as the radio - blaring siren to get your attention (that's the point of the siren, naturally).
  • CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    mca47 wrote:

I've gotten Emergency alerts in similar means for severe weather on my phone. But those at least had detail.

The messages I got for the Amber Alert basically said "Amber Alert: Man abducted 16 year old girl in S. California". :fp: I could have called the cops on about 50 dads and daughters after getting that.

I think it would be very weird if they used a happier or more pleasant sounding tone.. tone needs to fit the mood.. panic
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
    Rygar wrote:
    So you can turn it off but you can't control the tone?
    I don't believe so. Just checked and didn't see how you can change it.
    Everyone's phone (all smart phones) had the same siren.
    It was also the same siren I've received for severe weather alerts.
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    I think it's a great idea in theory but the ringtone thing has to change - there was a good article about this in the LA Times yesterday. It can't be so annoying that people turn off their phone. But right now it's pretty annoying. And I've got kids. But I won't turn it off.
  • I will side with MCA on this one.

It's not that people don't care, but if you don't know about this amber alert on the west coast with all of the news and social media outlets available, then you're living under a rock.

I just got another alert that they were in California . . . only a few states away. Of course they were by the Canadian border (or so they thought) yesterday. But now they're back in cali. I think the constant tv, newssites and Facebook postings garner enough attention.
    NERDS!
    Caveeze wrote:
    I think it would be very weird if they used a happier or more pleasant sounding tone.. tone needs to fit the mood.. panic
    This is important, as people would likely turn it off or to something they'd soon forget. I just find it odd that they give you control over receiving the alerts but not the tone itself.
    I will side with MCA on this one.

It's not that people don't care, but if you don't know about this amber alert on the west coast with all of the news and social media outlets available, then you're living under a rock.

I just got another alert that they were in California . . . only a few states away. Of course they were by the Canadian border (or so they thought) yesterday. But now they're back in cali. I think the constant tv, newssites and Facebook postings garner enough attention.
    Watching NBC Nightly News now. Amber Alerts in 4 states.

What's also dumb about it is once you open your phone, you can't access the message again. So if I'm driving down the road and see something that "could be" I can't pull up the message to see the car model or lic plate # or any other info. :fp:
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    The tone isn't THAT annoying. It's not some new noise they made for the sake of driving people up the walls, it was already a ringtone option in your phone. My boss uses it as his regular ringtone.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    mca47 wrote:

What's also dumb about it is once you open your phone, you can't access the message again. So if I'm driving down the road and see something that "could be" I can't pull up the message to see the car model or lic plate # or any other info. :fp:

:lol: oh good so it wasn't just me that can't find the message or even where to access this emergency area of the phone
    norm wrote:
    mca47 wrote:

:lol: oh good so it wasn't just me that can't find the message or even where to access this emergency area of the phone
    Nope. :lol:
    I tried looking for it too...couldn't find it anywhere.
    Bigtime :fp: !
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    I've yet to get an Amber Alert, but I got a similar emergency alert at 2:30am the other night warning of "flash floods" after we had some heavy rain. I didn't know wtf was happening. What an ungodly fucking noise! :shock: I jumped out of bed thinking my house was burning down, all ready to grab my cat and as many shoes as I could carry. Then I read the text, looked at my husband to see if he could help determine if we needed to evacuate the house in that instant. He didn't stir in his sleep at all so I decided it was ok to go back to bed. Alerts have been turned OFF. If you have an iPhone, go to the Settings, then Notifications and at the bottom you can turn the Amber Alerts and Emergency Alerts off. If the planet implodes I'll find out when it happens. :fp: I don't need to know these things in advance :nono:
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
    I've yet to get an Amber Alert, but I got a similar emergency alert at 2:30am the other night warning of "flash floods" after we had some heavy rain. I didn't know wtf was happening. What an ungodly fucking noise! :shock: I jumped out of bed thinking my house was burning down, all ready to grab my cat and as many shoes as I could carry. Then I read the text, looked at my husband to see if he could help determine if we needed to evacuate the house in that instant. He didn't stir in his sleep at all so I decided it was ok to go back to bed. Alerts have been turned OFF. If you have an iPhone, go to the Settings, then Notifications and at the bottom you can turn the Amber Alerts and Emergency Alerts off. If the planet implodes I'll find out when it happens. :fp: I don't need to know these things in advance :nono:
    Amen girly! :thumbup:
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    Caveeze wrote:
    mca47 wrote:

might I suggest this instead:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUc_jXBD9DU

:lol: :fp:
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"