Options

Sochi Olympics: Russian Anti-Gay Legislation

polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
edited August 2013 in A Moving Train
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2013 ... -laws.html

Thoughts? Should there be a boycott or is this the media blowing this out of proportion?

Personally, the olympics are a big scam and it's fraud is made so much worse because of the blood and sweat athletes give to make their dreams come true ...

in any case - if this new legislation was targeting jews or christians - i'm pretty sure there would have been a massive riot ... there needs to be a collective boycott ...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    The anti-gay decree in Russia is just one more step for Putin to go back to the old days of Soviet rule. And I'm guessing a lot of the countries attending don't have any issue with the law as well.

I agree that while the Olympics are cool, there is too much corruption. Putin and his kronies have already stolin $30B if reports are true.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,769
    I don't think the media is necessarily. Since Lindsay Graham opened his fucking mouth, iots a story.

It was shameful to me that we boycotted in 80. These athletes have put the work in, they should get to compete. They should also tread lightly while there with any protests. Nothing really overt, but sublte, like perhaps Human Rights Campaign equal sign. Maybe red bar , white space ,blue bar equal sign as a USA logo?

President has an opportunity to make a statement at the G20 summit. ON their soil. I'd like to see that.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat wrote:
    They should also tread lightly while there with any protests. Nothing really overt, but sublte, like perhaps Human Rights Campaign equal sign. Maybe red bar , white space ,blue bar equal sign as a USA logo?

Actually... that will get athletes arrested, beaten, thrown in jail for weeks and then deported.

There is zero tolerance for anything that suggests that being gay is anything but evil and worthy of death.

But yeah... I sure hope those fucking ski jumpers have fun. I mean.... you know, it's not like they should care, right?

(I cancelled my Visa card since I don't really support any of the other sponsors. I also told Johnny Weir to go fuck himself. But I've done that more than once. He's a twat.)
  • Options
    hostishostis Posts: 441
    http://americablog.com/2013/08/ioc-ban- ... mpics.html

"IOC may ban Olympic athletes who stand up to Russian homophobia"

I think that's equally worrying.... what Russia is doing is terrible and should not be allowed yet if the IOC is really threatening this, what choice is there other than boycotts by athletes and / or countries
  • Options
    What I find odd is that if this was America hosting the Olympics and we passed this type of legislation ... the whole world would be up in arms. This thread would be at page 846.

Effing Soviets do it and the whole world basically does a shoulder shrug.
  • Options
    if there was ever any doubt - it pretty much shows the IOC is really just one big fraud ...

i'm not sure how mark tewksberry can say just show up and pretend nothing is happening ... not that gay people necessarily are obligated to act in these cases ... but the guy is representing canada and this legislation goes against our charter of rights ...

but i like POD's idea of boycotting as many sponsors as possible ... visa will be hard for me but companies like mcdonalds and coke are a no brainer ...
  • Options
    a boycott of sponsers doesn't make any sense at all, whatsoever. the olympic committee didn't pass this legislation. the sponsers obviously were not backing this legislation.

why do we blame mcdonalds, coke and visa instead of Vlad Putin????? Why does Ivan get a pass??
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    polaris_x wrote:
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2013/07/25/sochi-olympics-gay-laws.html

Thoughts? Should there be a boycott or is this the media blowing this out of proportion?

Personally, the olympics are a big scam and it's fraud is made so much worse because of the blood and sweat athletes give to make their dreams come true ...

in any case - if this new legislation was targeting jews or christians - i'm pretty sure there would have been a massive riot ... there needs to be a collective boycott ...

I'd support a ban of the Olympics ... what a waste of money. As for a boycott ... I doubt it'd have much impact.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    polaris_x wrote:
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2013/07/25/sochi-olympics-gay-laws.html

I'd support a ban of the Olympics ... what a waste of money. As for a boycott ... I doubt it'd have much impact.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    PingfahPingfah Posts: 350
    Jason P wrote:
    What I find odd is that if this was America hosting the Olympics and we passed this type of legislation ... the whole world would be up in arms. This thread would be at page 846.

Effing Soviets do it and the whole world basically does a shoulder shrug.

That's because America touts itself as the standard bearer for the free world. Russia is quite open about having complete disregard for equality.

A boycott will never happen, not by any body of influence because they have all already spent too much money on this to allow it. The Olympics should never have been given to a backwards, undemocratic country like Russia in the first place.
  • Options
    Jason P wrote:
    a boycott of sponsers doesn't make any sense at all, whatsoever. the olympic committee didn't pass this legislation. the sponsers obviously were not backing this legislation.

why do we blame mcdonalds, coke and visa instead of Vlad Putin????? Why does Ivan get a pass??

because ultimately money rules above all ... if consumers boycott the sponsors and the sponsors threaten to pull their dollars ... guess what ... huge fucking bill for russia to pay for the games ... these games are all run through corporate sponsors ... they have the most power ...
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    because ultimately money rules above all ... if consumers boycott the sponsors and the sponsors threaten to pull their dollars ... guess what ... huge fucking bill for russia to pay for the games ... these games are all run through corporate sponsors ... they have the most power ...
    The public pays for them based on the last Olympic games in London. The total bill was $11.3B Euros. Sponsers kicked in $350M Euros. Another $350M Euros from NBC. Which is 3.8% of the total cost (for each).

The government kicked in $9.3B Euros.

Or so the holiest of holiest websites tells me ...

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/datablog/2012/jul/26/london-2012-olympics-money

Based on a 82% public funding rate and reports that the Soviet Olympic cost / fraud is going to be $50B US, the citizens of the USSR have kicked in $1,351,950,000,000 roubles. While sponsers have kicked in $62,048,400,000 roubles.

Bill Gates don't have nothin on 'ol Vlady Putins ...
  • Options
    Jason P wrote:
    The public pays for them based on the last Olympic games in London. The total bill was $11.3B Euros. Sponsers kicked in $350M Euros. Another $350M Euros from NBC. Which is 3.8% of the total cost (for each).

The government kicked in $9.3B Euros.

Or so the holiest of holiest websites tells me ...

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/datablog/2012/jul/26/london-2012-olympics-money

Based on a 82% public funding rate and reports that the Soviet Olympic cost / fraud is going to be $50B US, the citizens of the USSR have kicked in $1,351,950,000,000 roubles. While sponsers have kicked in $62,048,400,000 roubles.

Bill Gates don't have nothin on 'ol Vlady Putins ...

sorry ... i just assumed that we all knew that gov't puts up most of the money but they expect to get that back in tourism dollars and benefits to the local economy ... the sponsorship dollars is really where the meat of it is ...

corporations can wage significant influence ... see NBC and US drug tests in the olympics; nike with lance ...
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    sorry ... i just assumed that we all knew that gov't puts up most of the money but they expect to get that back in tourism dollars and benefits to the local economy ... the sponsorship dollars is really where the meat of it is ...

corporations can wage significant influence ... see NBC and US drug tests in the olympics; nike with lance ...
    I don't see that being the case in the upcoming soviet olympics. Vlad budgeted it and sold it at $11B. Now it is $50B.

I don't see Ronald McDonald making that gap up .... unless the KGB, I mean FSB, is dangling Ronald off the ledge of a 30 story building in downtown Moscow to help Ronald see things from their point of view.
  • Options
    Jason P wrote:

Russian doesn't get a pass. But...

If the Olympics is a money loser.... sponsors won't want to get involved. If giving money to the Olympics doesn't make your company look good, companies won't want to join in. If they don't make money... The Olympic committee won't get their 7- figure salaries. And something will get done.

The gay community is tiny and we've learned that we have to speak with dollars or nothing gets done.
  • Options
    Russian doesn't get a pass. But...

If the Olympics is a money loser.... sponsors won't want to get involved. If giving money to the Olympics doesn't make your company look good, companies won't want to join in. If they don't make money... The Olympic committee won't get their 7- figure salaries. And something will get done.

The gay community is tiny and we've learned that we have to speak with dollars or nothing gets done.
    I'm hopeful that prominent members of the athletic community will speak out during the games.
  • Options
    http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/952 ... t-movement

This article makes the case that boycotts do not help a movement, showing up and having some kind of message or protest lasts the test of time.

I mean we all know the famous picture from '68 where the two black athletes gave the black power fist on the medal stand. That image is iconic. If they had boycotted like they almost had, no one would even remember who they were and that they boycotted the Oylmpics as protest to racsim in the US.

Also the 1980 Summer games boycott is universally regarded as accomplishing nothing. You know what DID accomplish something...beating Russia at hockey in the winter games from the same year. In turn when Russia boycotted the 1984 games, it also accomplished nothing.

Lastly these athletes work from the age of 4 or 5 to make it to the highest level amatuer athlete in the world, and you want to deny these athletes a chance to live out there dream because the games are being held in an oppressive country? I mean the 2008 games were in China and we all know the human rights viloations that country has. Putting 5 year olds to work and jailing homosexuals are both wrong but no one called for a boycott in 2008 so I'm at loss why we want one now.

Lastly it makes me love living in the US a little bit more when I hear what goes on in other nations.
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    4/10/2008 EV Solo (****1/2)
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
    10/6/2009 LA III (***** Cornell!!!)
  • Options
    soo ... anything goes just because someone has trained all their life for an event? ... i get the idea that the athletes suffer but i don't think it gives a country a free pass to blatantly violate human rights that supposedly so many countries stand for and fight for ...

boycotts would indeed be effective if it is done collectively ... if the G8 countries less Russia all boycotted the games - it would be a huge blow to the organizing committee ... same thing with sponsorship dollars ... showing up and staying silent just validates their position ...

considering so many people won't even touch a RS magazine now cuz they put the bomber on the cover - i would think there would be similar sentiment ... if people are against a company's policies - do you shop there? ...
  • Options
    Here's a quote that best summerzies my feelings:
    "The bottom line is, if you stay home, your message stays home with you. If you stand for justice and equality, you have an obligation to find the biggest possible megaphone to let your feelings be known. Don't let your message be buried and don't bury yourself."

— John Carlos (He was one of the Black Oylmpians to protest on the medal stand in 1968)

If you think a boyctt of Oylmpic sponsers will help I can support that. But skipping the games all together is off the table in my mind.
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    4/10/2008 EV Solo (****1/2)
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
    10/6/2009 LA III (***** Cornell!!!)
  • Options
    well ... it'll be interesting to see how many people actually risk being arrested as any kind of protest is subject to detention and deportation ...

at the end of the day - once the games come and go - there is absolutely no leverage to change this law ... a boycott of the games/sponsors is the only leverage currently available ...
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,252
    So much for figure skating....

:lol:
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:

now now.

I know four Olympic medalists who are gay and none of them are figure skaters. One is a boxer.

That said... you're right. There are a lot of flamers who partake in the "sport" of figure skating.
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,252
    mca47 wrote:

now now.

I know four Olympic medalists who are gay and none of them are figure skaters. One is a boxer.

That said... you're right. There are a lot of flamers who partake in the "sport" of figure skating.

I can't wait to see a bunch of KGB type dudes hanging out outside of the rink.
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:

I can't wait to see a bunch of KGB type dudes hanging out outside of the rink.

Can't you just hook up on Craig's List like all the DL guys?
  • Options
    Anybody remember the fucking joke as to why the States led the 80 boycott. ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

And now we have this!

The poison from the poison stream caught up to you ELEVEN years ago and you floated out of here. Sept. 14, 08

• Options
    Anybody remember the fucking joke as to why the States led the 80 boycott. ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

And now we have this!
    Oh, sweet irony!

We basically trained a pit bull that eventually turned on us.
  • Options
    satansbedsatansbed Posts: 2,138
    Punishing Russia is all the rage these days. After Moscow gave temporary asylum to the NSA leaker Edward Snowden, U.S. Senator John McCain proposed extending the “Magnistky List” of Russian officials barred from entering the United States, speeding deployment of missile defenses in Europe, and rapidly expanding NATO to include Georgia. The British actor Stephen Fry and various LGBT activists have advocated a boycott of the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics to protest recent Russian policies targeting gays and lesbians. Gay bars in the United States have reportedly started dumping their stocks of Stolichnaya vodka.

Most significantly, on Wednesday, U.S. President Barack Obama canceled a summit with Russian President Vladimir Putin that was supposed to take place in September in Moscow, expressing displeasure at the Kremlin’s granting of asylum to Snowden, among other things.

Anger with Russia’s behavior on these scores is perfectly understandable. Snowden has been charged with serious crimes and Washington has a legitimate interest in bringing him to trial. Russia’s recent law banning “pro-homosexual propaganda” has created a climate of aggression, in which vigilantes attack LGBT Russians and post horrifying videos of their violence online.

But before leaping into action, those eager to punish Russia should consider two things. First, why is Putin behaving in this way? And second, will the sanctions in question hurt him or actually benefit him? Given that Putin is currently fighting for his political life, a public showdown with the West will help him stay afloat. The Americans and Europeans who want to change Moscow’s course should therefore be careful not to play into Putin’s hands.

Continued

http://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/ ... nish-putin