Options

*******Official Alive appreciation thread*******

Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
edited December 2013 in The Porch
either at a show you attended or a video you have seen? they have played it so many times and they have kicked ass on it so many times, looking for a memorable experience with the song Alive, also it can be when you first heard the single or off of Ten, your memorable experiences with Ten
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk97SnA1Q_U :corn:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    either at a show you attended or a video you have seen? this is a tough one, they have played it so many times and they have kicked ass on it so many times, my first nomination is Austin City Limits 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk97SnA1Q_U :corn:
    I think it is epic the camera work on this, if it is a 10c member, major props! :thumbup: :clap:
  • Options
    landolando Posts: 661
    The first time you hear it live and everytime after
    Edmonton 93, Vancouver 05, Vancouver 09, Edmonton 11, Vancouver 11
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,288
    For me it's Newcastle 06, mainly for the surprise factor. Alive is one of those songs that you just expect to hear when you see PJ but I don't think anybody (except for Mark Richards, who wrote the setlist) was expecting them to open the show with it.

It set the tone perfectly for an awesome show.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    "so much for being a professional band, we did smoke a lot of (hashish?) I don't know if....." :crazy:
  • Options
    lando wrote:
    The first time you hear it live and everytime after
    :clap:
  • Options
    smanchac1smanchac1 Posts: 2,256
    goldrush wrote:
    For me it's Newcastle 06, mainly for the surprise factor. Alive is one of those songs that you just expect to hear when you see PJ but I don't think anybody (except for Mark Richards, who wrote the setlist) was expecting them to open the show with it.

It set the tone perfectly for an awesome show.

That entire boot is crazy!

Do you know they hung a tambourine in the town and people wrote requests on. Some one gave it to the band and boom, crazy setlist!

Alive
    Life Wasted
    Severed Hand
    Save You
    Insignificance
    Unemployable
    Brain of J.
    Red Mosquito
    Given to Fly
    Last Exit
    Hail Hail
    Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town
    Better Man
    Daughter (with War)
    Whipping
    Leatherman
    Down
    Do the Evolution
    Undone
    Rearviewmirror
    Encore:
    Thumbing My Way
    Masters of War
    Footsteps
    Crown of thorns
    Alone
    Even Flow
    Encore 2:
    Corduroy
    Fuckin' Up
    Rockin' in the Free World
    Yellow Ledbetter

They also opened Dallas 03 with alive.. Being there was great!!
  • Options
    PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,594
    edited August 2013
    San Diego 2006..if you were there you know....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPmZYWEdgvg
    Post edited by PJammer4life on
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,478
    Most emotional was probably Seattle 2 in '00. It was cathartic for them to play it. That's how it felt, anyway.
  • Options
    veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
    Berlin 10 was amazing. Don't know if it's the best one ever but again, if you were there you know... ;)
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,478
    veddertown wrote:
    Berlin 10 was amazing. Don't know if it's the best one ever but again, if you were there you know... ;)

I take back what I said about Seattle 2 '00 being the most emotional. Forgot about Berlin.
  • Options
    smanchac1smanchac1 Posts: 2,256
    Pinkpop 1992.

I listened to this a thousand times on the oceans single.

The emotion is great!! Man... This shit got me hooked for life!

Watch at the end when they show the crowd all fist pumping in unison and the look on eddies face is priceless. It's the first time, literarily, this has ever happened with this many people.

Amazing moment I'm time..

4:58 - 5:20. Goosebumps just watching 30 seconds!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJT3vIMsCQo
  • Options
    veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
    veddertown wrote:

I take back what I said about Seattle 2 '00 being the most emotional. Forgot about Berlin.

The Seattle 2 version was very poignant and one of the high points of the tour. They put all the pressure on themselves by leaving it out but it took as much balls to play it as it did to play Daughter during the first show back in VA Beach. It actually took me by surprise they played it again so soon after Roskilde but that was obviously a big step to start the healing process. I'd only favour the Berlin version by the fact it was the anniversary and they turned the highly emotional encore in to an amazing celebration by playing such great versions of Alive and YL. The Seattle version was a bit rusty for not being played in 50 shows but to have been in the room must have been amazing.
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    Berlin 10 was something cant describe...you felt inside you need to scream so hard so our brothers up there hear us that we are here and we will never forget them...

my top 5 favo versions are -
    Dallas 91
    MSG 2 1998
    Lisbon 00
    Verona 06
    at Jools Holland

and the one version at Storytellers Eddie explain that the song change with the years and from a curse become a celebration to life was special one...
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    smanchac1 wrote:
    Pinkpop 1992.

I listened to this a thousand times on the oceans single.

The emotion is great!! Man... This shit got me hooked for life!

Watch at the end when they show the crowd all fist pumping in unison and the look on eddies face is priceless. It's the first time, literarily, this has ever happened with this many people.

Amazing moment I'm time..

4:58 - 5:20. Goosebumps just watching 30 seconds!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJT3vIMsCQo
    haha..i put it 2 times in the list this version and finally out .want to put just 5..and i put according to solo,so i choose MSG 98 cos they both has Black Sabbath tag....lol..that yeah and hit his chest..fuck me...
    same as unplugged..has unreal power..the fucker did perfect performance
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Cincy
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    Cincy
    :lol:
  • Options
    Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,559
    SNL 1992.
    The guitar tones are so awsome.
    I will swallow poison
  • Options
    QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Cincinnati, Ohio Posts: 3,626
    Cincy

No shit Sherlock.

:P
    Nice shirt.
  • Options
    Cincy

No shit Sherlock.

:P
    :lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,889
    Alive from the MSG 9/11/98 show. It was when mike could actually solo at the end of the song and Ed climbed his mic cord right in front of my first row seat.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 wrote:
    Alive from the MSG 9/11/98 show. It was when mike could actually solo at the end of the song and Ed climbed his mic cord right in front of my first row seat.
    Alive is epic song..i put a list of 5..

you know,if someone put a gun in my head to choose just one...

well...MSG 9/11/98 show gets the vote..

this must be the next vault..come on already..!
  • Options
    mcgruff10 wrote:
    A Mikey solo makes any song better, I have been saying on Amongst The Waves, if they put a 45 to 60 second solo instead of like 15, that shit would be off the chart, just when you start getting into it, they pull the plug on the solo, it is okay to let Mikey have more solos, just saying :D
    Pearl Jam - Alive (New York '98)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVxV1ZhPZk8
  • Options
    Berlin 10 was something cant describe...you felt inside you need to scream so hard so our brothers up there hear us that we are here and we will never forget them...

Dallas 91
    MSG 2 1998
    Lisbon 00
    Verona 06
    at Jools Holland

and the one version at Storytellers Eddie explain that the song change with the years and from a curse become a celebration to life was special one...
    Pearl Jam - Alive (Berlin '10)
    http://www.ymnvQoutube.com/watch?v=Ba0zZ8-
    Pearl Jam Alive On Jools Holland
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzBm8IS15EM
    Pearl Jam Alive VH1 Storytellers
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnmxDzfB8tc
  • Options
    I don't care how many times they play Alive, that and Black I will never get tired of either song until the day I die, always have been my two favorite songs since I heard Ten, probably always will be
  • Options

Dallas 91
    MSG 2 1998
    Lisbon 00
    Verona 06
    at Jools Holland

Pearl Jam - Alive (Berlin '10)
    http://www.ymnvQoutube.com/watch?v=Ba0zZ8-
    Pearl Jam Alive On Jools Holland
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzBm8IS15EM
    Pearl Jam Alive VH1 Storytellers
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnmxDzfB8tc
    MSG 98 VERSION

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVxV1ZhPZk8
  • Options
    In this exclusive interview with ARTISTdirect.com editor in chief Rick Florino, Mike McCready shares his five favorite songs to play.

notice the first one he picks is Alive

Pearl Jam – "Alive"

For Pearl Jam, I love playing "Alive". That's a fun one because I get to do a big solo at the end of it.

Pearl Jam – "Black"

Off of Ten, I also really like to play "Black". For me, the solo definitely gives me space. I stay to the one main part, and then I try to expand on that every night we play it. If I'm not thinking about it—I'm just going, my eyes are closed, and I can see the guitar neck in my head—that's when I'm playing it the best. I can't force that to happen though. That just happens sometimes. If I start thinking about it too much, I'm not doing it as well. It's a weird paradox. I have to be spiritually motivated by it somehow [Laughs]. I could be keying off of Eddie's vocals or the drums and bass we're doing. The number one is to forget it and just go.

Pearl Jam – "Off He Goes"

There's so much! I like to play "Off He Goes". It's a cool song. I like the lyrics and the mysterious nature of the song. I get to approach the solo differently every night. I can go more country on it if I want. Or, I can do a wah thing or delay thing. It challenges me to do different things. To make it subtle and meaningful is the challenge for me on that song.

Pearl Jam – "Inside Job"

"Inside Job" is a song that I wrote, and I get to play a big double-neck guitar when I'm doing that. That song has a lot to do with Crohn's Disease and how to deal with it. It doesn't spell that out. However, to me, it feels like how you have to deal with things from the inside and not with the outside perspective sometimes.

The Who – "Baba O'Reilly"

I like "Baba O'Reilly" because the crowd goes so crazy for it. That's a fun one! It's a good representation. It's one of the earliest songs I learned on guitar. My teacher Mike Wilson taught me that keyboard part on guitar when I was a kid. He was a fantastic teacher when I was eleven-years-old.
    Read more at http://www.artistdirect.com/entertainme ... rlpjpf4.99
  • Options
    YLed2YLed2 Des Moines, IA Posts: 5,534
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• Options
    cmm6734cmm6734 Houston, TX Posts: 569
    San Diego 2006..if you were there you know....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPmZYWEdgvg

I hear ya! I was there.
    40+ shows, it is never enough!
  • Options
    evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,848
    St. Paul 6/27/06 before petty took the stage.

See if you can find it on pearljambootlegs.com or pearljamlive.com Mike is doing half the solo behind his back and he threw hiw beat up strat up in the air several times at the end of it. Anyone who was there will remember it. :)
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert