Tipping during Carryout

LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
edited August 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
This Drew Bree's non story is intriguing.

He get's take out, doesn't tip and it get's national news.

Personally, I don't tip for take out.

I don't feel that the host should be entitled to a tip. If the tip went directly to the cooks/chef, I probably would consider it.

Thoughts?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• jethrojam420jethrojam420 Posts: 1,075
    i wouldnt either. i hardly understand tipping at a buffet. I tip well elsewhere though....
    8/29/00*5/2/03*7/2/03*7/3/03*7/11/03*9/28/04*5/24/06*6/28/08*5/15/10*5/17/10* 10/16/13*10/25/13* 4/28/16*4/28/16*8/5/16*8/7/16 EV 6/15/11 Brad 10/27/02
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    Getting take out from Hooters, I mean what's the point in that?

:mrgreen:
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory Posts: 6,295
    i wouldnt either. i hardly understand tipping at a buffet. I tip well elsewhere though....

+1
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,506
    LloydXmas wrote:
    This Drew Bree's non story is intriguing.

He get's take out, doesn't tip and it get's national news.

Personally, I don't tip for take out.

I don't feel that the host should be entitled to a tip. If the tip went directly to the cooks/chef, I probably would consider it.

Thoughts?

haven't followed this story at all but i have always wondered about this. i've never left a tip for takeout anywhere. one time though, i could tell that the waiter who got all of my food ready and rung me up was pretty pissed. but i always thought protocol was to not tip in these situations....no? yes?
    www.myspace.com
  • JTHJTH Posts: 3,238
    I'm a very generous tipper. You can expect at least 20% of the total if you're waiting on me. Poor service will still probably get you 15%. You have to be completely atrocious to get less than that.

Sometimes, if the server sucks but the person busing the table is doing a good job, I'll slip them a few bucks and leave a crap tip for the server.

But for carry-out or any type of self-service place (like those DIY frozen yogurt joints), I never leave a tip unless they've done something special for me, like change the order after I get there to pick it up.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,506
    i wish the dunkman would chime in.
    www.myspace.com
  • The "Entitlement generation'. Expect to get paid for nothing. Kind of like the famous for nothing people, like Paris Hilton. Pathetic.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • PorchsitterPorchsitter Posts: 1,069
    At buffets and such, I'll leave a clean-up tip (usually about $1 and some change maybe). For carryout, I never tip. What's the point? I don't tip at McDonalds and Burger King.
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    The "gratuity line" on credit/debit card purchases is out of control! It's on everything it seems!!

That said, I usually tip a couple bucks on take out. It's not 20%....hell, it's not usually 10%....but it's something.
    Also, I have a friend who used to be a Starbucks barista and I asked her if she ever tips when she buys a coffee there and she told me in no uncertain terms that she never does and that nobody should -- again, unless they've gone above and beyond with the service.
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,675
    I don't tip if I get take out
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    JTH wrote:
    I'm a very generous tipper. You can expect at least 20% of the total if you're waiting on me. Poor service will still probably get you 15%. You have to be completely atrocious to get less than that.

Sometimes, if the server sucks but the person busing the table is doing a good job, I'll slip them a few bucks and leave a crap tip for the server.

But for carry-out or any type of self-service place (like those DIY frozen yogurt joints), I never leave a tip unless they've done something special for me, like change the order after I get there to pick it up.

I'm the exact same way. Great minds and all that!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,798
    Brees tipped $3 on a $74 tab.

I would if it was a very busy night at a regular place of mine. One off "lets go there" trip, fuck that. you didn't "serve" And in general, being served at a sit down meal, only get tipped if I feel you went over and above to make a pleasant experience.

So the lesson here is , if you are famous NEVER use your CC to pay when going out!!!! Pay Cash and tip what you like!!!!
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    I only tip take out if it's one of those curbside pickups. I picked up 4 orders at a place in January and there was 6 inches of snow on the ground and about 3 degrees out. The poor girl had a light sweatshirt on and I tipped her a few bucks for the weather factor. If I have to walk in, no tip. I hate at Dunkin's when there is always a tip jar and they try to hand you the change right over the cup hoping you drop some in or something. Thats why I always use my rechargeable gift card at Dunks, you can't tip that way.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    I do tip for carryout if it's from a typical restaurant. I figure the servers usually only make $2 something an hour so their income largely depends on tips. Putting my meal together probably pulled them away from making tips on other tables. I don't usually tip at coffee/ice cream/other counter places unless I've given an unusually complicated order. I think they typically make more per hour (at least minimum wage) than servers at restaurants.
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    youngster wrote:
    I only tip take out if it's one of those curbside pickups. I picked up 4 orders at a place in January and there was 6 inches of snow on the ground and about 3 degrees out. The poor girl had a light sweatshirt on and I tipped her a few bucks for the weather factor. If I have to walk in, no tip. I hate at Dunkin's when there is always a tip jar and they try to hand you the change right over the cup hoping you drop some in or something. Thats why I always use my rechargeable gift card at Dunks, you can't tip that way.

Same here, if they come curbside I'll tip, but I'm not tipping if I go in. Working a cash register isn't a tip job.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
    The manager of the restaurant came to the quarterback's defense. "If this is an authentic receipt," he said in a statement, "it would indicate that Mr. Brees is a very generous individual, as it would be a takeout receipt ... and takeout orders do not usually garner a tip at our restaurant."

http://www.nola.com/opinions/index.ssf/2013/08/drew_brees_tipped_more_on_his.html
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    JTH wrote:
    The manager of the restaurant came to the quarterback's defense. "If this is an authentic receipt," he said in a statement, "it would indicate that Mr. Brees is a very generous individual, as it would be a takeout receipt ... and takeout orders do not usually garner a tip at our restaurant."

http://www.nola.com/opinions/index.ssf/2013/08/drew_brees_tipped_more_on_his.html

If I were the manager I'd be looking for the dipshit employee that aired one of my customer's business all over the internet, give them $3 severance pay and boot their ass down the road.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    up until a few years ago i had no idea you should tip on take out so i never did.
    Then some story like this came up and society told me how much of a scumbag i was

so i tip now though i don't see why i should have to :cry:
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,823
    intodeep wrote:
    up until a few years ago i had no idea you should tip on take out so i never did.
    Then some story like this came up and society told me how much of a scumbag i was

You're not a scumbag if you don't tip on carryout. I never tip on a carryout order. Why the hell am I going to tip someone for handing me a bag of food??? Ridiculous.
  • I rarely tip on carry-out. Maybe if it's a huge order and I'm feeding 6-8 people or something but generally not.
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    I leave the change if I am paying with cash (if there is a bowl, like a do when at starbucks)... I rarely tip if its on the CC... but if someone was really nice taking my order, I do.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,951
    intodeep wrote:

You're not a scumbag if you don't tip on carryout. I never tip on a carryout order. Why the hell am I going to tip someone for handing me a bag of food??? Ridiculous.

My wife and I had the debate about tipping carry out, because I thought you were supposed to. Pretty much everything I read (and reflected in this thread) is that you don't tip carry-out unless they go above and beyond.
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    it all depends on if I believe the person had to put in some kind of effort and depends on what kind of place it is - if I am picking up a pizza - no. a more involved order at a nice restaurant - probably, but won't be as much as when I get waited on at a table.
  • RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    any carryout i tip 0-4 bucks depending on my mood, how busy the place is, and how nice the person at the register is. having worked jobs like that as a high schooler/college student i remembered how awesome it was to get 2-3 bucks working at the register...it definitely made my day of work a little better. Now that 2-3 bucks for me isn't a be all end all thing I often give a small tip with the hopes that the cashier/carryout person can use it because they need it more.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    I tip on coffee, but usually because I have a complicated order.

We started going to this Panda Express style place, and tipped $1 on our take-away order...then they started cramming more food in our order (a lot more). :D we still tip them $1 and they still give us extra food.

Oh, and my cupcake place donates ALL tips to local charities, so I tip them. :thumbup:
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,889
    I wouldn't tip for carry out. Tips are for good service during a meal. If it's carry out, no one did anything except cook the food and put it in a box. That's not service. Do people expect tips for that??? More and more I'm seeing tip jars at cold beer and wine stores. They want us to tip them for standing there at the cash register. Wtf if THAT about???? Are they going start putting tip jars out at 7-11s next?? :fp:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I wouldn't tip for carry out. Tips are for good service during a meal. If it's carry out, no one did anything except cook the food and put it in a box. That's not service. Do people expect tips for that??? More and more I'm seeing tip jars at cold beer and wine stores. They want us to tip them for standing there at the cash register. Wtf if THAT about???? Are they going start putting tip jars out at 7-11s next?? :fp:

:shh: it was their plan all along...

take-a-penny.jpg
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • jethrojam420jethrojam420 Posts: 1,075
    youngster wrote:
    I hate at Dunkin's when there is always a tip jar and they try to hand you the change right over the cup hoping you drop some in or something. Thats why I always use my rechargeable gift card at Dunks, you can't tip that way.

ya thats why i use my debit card too
    8/29/00*5/2/03*7/2/03*7/3/03*7/11/03*9/28/04*5/24/06*6/28/08*5/15/10*5/17/10* 10/16/13*10/25/13* 4/28/16*4/28/16*8/5/16*8/7/16 EV 6/15/11 Brad 10/27/02
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,889
    youngster wrote:
    I hate at Dunkin's when there is always a tip jar and they try to hand you the change right over the cup hoping you drop some in or something. Thats why I always use my rechargeable gift card at Dunks, you can't tip that way.

ya thats why i use my debit card too
    I just use cash and look at their tip cup with disdain while I don't put anything in it. :shifty:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata