Any Bassists out There? Advice for just starting out?

tcadd94tcadd94 Posts: 611
edited September 2013 in Musicians and Gearheads
I've got this bass sitting in my closet and I really want to learn to play it. I've played guitar for about 10 years now. I don't know much theory at all. How should I get started? Any advice? Anything that helped you learn? Thanks in advance.
I've been fortunate enough to see Pearl Jam live.

I am hanging in the balance of a perfect finished plan
Like every sparrow falling, like every grain of sand.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ratmandoratmando Posts: 347
    I started bass then moved to guitar, and now I'm bassdextric? I started out with an acoustic-- like the kind you see in mariachi bands? But it's still one of my favorites. Generally, when you buy an electric bass today, the machinework is so clean that even a lower costing "student" bass will generally have an okay sound to start off with... then you can move up, like you would when you were learning guitar, to something that has a feel and sound you like best.

My Ibinez 4 string and the 5 string are both pretty much my favorite electrics. If you already have a good ear on guitar, bass may be easier... at first, until you realize you are playing melody instead of rhythm-- and actually, that can be a great way to start. I started by listening to songs I liked with simple rhythms and started playing along. (Wish list is a good one to try bass with if you want to play by ear.) If you have an audio program like Sonar, Protools, even Audacity, (free), or my personal favorite Sony Acid..(easy to use, blends with other programs with little issues, and the systems with my equipment are Sony so the sound is pretty sweet.).... do yourself a favor, and get used to click tracks now. (I hate them, they aren't earthy enough for me, and I personally get upset at a drummer who can't count..but that's me.) But as a learning tool, they're worthwhile--- start by playing tones and rhythms along with click tracks, and you'll start to feel more comfortable with the bass, (or use a great drummer, Vinyl, or music you love.)

I started by listening to the stuff from the 70's like Queen, Blue Oyster Cult, Bad Company, and playing along. Someday I'd love to do the same with Zappa, but... man.. great and hard stuff. As far as theory- I did music school, studying jazz, if you just want basics--Practica Musica is good to self teach, and colleges use it. But listening to Bartok, or reading choir charts (this from an atheist), you can really SEE pointe and counterpoint by reading the charts and playing along. (WMA has some great examples, if you have the song books from PJ).

My favorite dumb bass trick? Playing to television theme songs and commercials. Play to make up your own mood when you watch a movie or tv show with the volume down. Once you get a feel of what feelings a bass can emote-- you'll be in love with it. You already got a start if you play guitar..you won't have to calous your fingers, or learn how to stretch your hands more to fret... but don't be afraid to PLAY the thing.. the playing part is what a lot of musicians forget... play should be play, and not work.. if it gets stressful, stop. Breathe... goof off on a pair of bongos or something...then bring the play back.

(my band is Ratmando Band, but I've played with King Lizzard, Horseless Headmen, Orgasm Pi, and a few other bands that recorded stuff here and there.)
    When I hear music, I fear no danger. I am invulnerable. I see no foe. I am related to the earliest times, and to the latest.

Henry David Thoreau
  • I have been playing for about 18 years. Which considering I didn't start till I was 18 is really aging myself (Yikes)....

I think the one thing that helped me out the most in my young years, was finding a great drummer to play with. Then just focus on the groove with him. Dead serious.

I think the #1 mistake people do with a bass is to try to play the bass like its a guitar.

Also when I started I focus only on using my fingers (no pick). Went from two picking fingers to three at times, then picking with two and three fingers simultaneously. All of this changes the tone. About 10 years into it I finally started using a pick here and there. When I started I was completely against picks, but I have found a spot for it. In the end it should just be what you want or like to hear.

Yes I would hear things by other bass players that i liked, and I would steal them (fills etc).

Yes I tend to use the same fill I used back when I started.

Listening to Motown music always helps.... James Jamerson was ridiculous...

Don't be scared of tone either...

Good luck!
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • ratmandoratmando Posts: 347
    Agreed--- and the Motwon idea.. SO smart.. those grooves are untouchable by so many others and really groove the beat so well. (I was addicted to Gap Band, too... as well as the Temptations. and Not motown, but a few hours lstening to Parliament can really get the bass blood going.)
    (Oh and I'm born in 1964--- I think we got a good lot of folks in our age group here!)
    When I hear music, I fear no danger. I am invulnerable. I see no foe. I am related to the earliest times, and to the latest.

Henry David Thoreau
  • tcadd94tcadd94 Posts: 611
    Thanks guys! I'm a big Motown fan so that's a great tip. Thanks again!
    I've been fortunate enough to see Pearl Jam live.

I am hanging in the balance of a perfect finished plan
    Like every sparrow falling, like every grain of sand.
  • MaxGoldenrodMaxGoldenrod Posts: 1,341
    Just have fun

I played in bands about 15 years ago and got burnt out. Picked it up again about 5 years ago, no band, no jam, just me and playing along with the music.

Love it.

Would still kill to have the opportunity to gig again, but with kids and a f/t job on 2nd shift/weekends, that is a bit of a pipe dream! :D
    "Then the Spirit of God hovered over the water, and God said, Let there be music, and there was Pearl Jam."

Whose idea was it for the word "Lisp" to have an "S" in it?
  • Get on to ultimate-guitar.com for bass tabs and just play along to start.

Then once you've got a bit of confidence find a drummer or guitarist to jam with.

Start out with root notes and then the more confident you get you can begin to introduce a few runs and go from there.
    I'd recommend playing with fingers instead of a pick, but that's just a personal preference, you may find a pick easier to start off.

As for a starter bass, I started out on a £50 Washburn and upgraded every few years. I now play a Fender Jazz fretless.

Good luck with it. Let us know how you get on.