Flight lessons

mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
edited August 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Has anyone ever taken flight lessons?
I've always been fascinated by flying...I fly often for work....love it except for the people! :lol:
Anyways, I've always wanted to learn how to fly. I know it's super expensive but I think it would be amazing!

Anyone?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    I looked into it a few years ago. I figured it would run between $6K - $7K to get certified. In the end it didn't make financial sense to pursue.

There is one cool way to get your license that I read in a magazine. There is some company in Australia that over the course of two weeks can get you enough hours while you fly around the outback. I don't know if you have to complete classroom work prior to it (it would make sense). That was around $12K but it would be a cool trip.
  • AnnafalkAnnafalk Posts: 4,004
    Wouldn't it be cool to drive an helicopter :D
    Annafalk wrote:
    What about a gyrocopter?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTRlSPJSWm-huFBQwIoiFVtOb_q3hsz_jBlXqDVc54Fd3GRSdUo

I'm always amazed that people buy these kits and build them at home. I'd be weary about using a skateboard that I built at home.
    Jason P wrote:
    Annafalk wrote:
    What about a gyrocopter?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTRlSPJSWm-huFBQwIoiFVtOb_q3hsz_jBlXqDVc54Fd3GRSdUo

I'm always amazed that people buy these kits and build them at home. I'd be weary about using a skateboard that I built at home.

Wow, is that legal ?
    Annafalk wrote:
    Wow, is that legal ?
    This guy from Mad Max 2 says so!

1272319001-gyro.jpg

I think you can get a used one for the price of a chevy malibu.

There are also the ultralight planes. I'm not even sure if you need a license to fly them. Used to see them all the time back in the 80's and 90's.
  • I'm thinking about trying it out. Living Social has deals on lessons all the time down here...less than $100 for an hour or something.
    We were but stones your light made us stars
    I'm thinking of buying a flight simulater. You can get this model for around $4K ...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRWCYT1aNvFxu4rPygZXoCZCnD3X_Q3_Qhd5aDJm1YTLLE2yA8g
    Jason P wrote:
    Annafalk wrote:
    Wow, is that legal ?
    This guy from Mad Max 2 says so!

1272319001-gyro.jpg

I think you can get a used one for the price of a chevy malibu.

There are also the ultralight planes. I'm not even sure if you need a license to fly them. Used to see them all the time back in the 80's and 90's.

Well in that case...I ought a buy one of these fine and secure flying machines ;)
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    My dad has been flying for over 40 years

Says it's fun at first... but now it's like another day in the office. :lol:
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    Annafalk wrote:

My Uncle and the dipshit General George Casey Sr. crashed one into a mountainside in Vietnam because it was a little too windy.

I'm staying away from those things.
    Annafalk wrote:

My Uncle and the dipshit General George Casey Sr. crashed one into a mountainside in Vietnam because it was a little too windy.

I'm staying away from those things.

I'm sorry, probably a good idea (I'm actually to be honest scared of flying.)
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    My dad has been flying for over 40 years

Says it's fun at first... but now it's like another day in the office. :lol:
    Well, when its a career....yeah, it could get old. And now fun can it be to fly 757s (or whatever you waid he flies) with hundreds of passengers on flight routes every day?

I think it would be awesome to be able to head to the local airport on the weekend and take a plane out for a ride.