a healthy earth for the kids

pickupyourwillpickupyourwill Posts: 3,135
edited June 2018 in All Encompassing Trip
Post edited by pickupyourwill on

Comments

• Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    I have a standard response when I'm asked for money: "Sorry, I don't give money to people I don't know."

My biggest concern is my personal safety--while I'm looking in my purse for change, there's plenty of opportunity to reach into my purse and grab my wallet (happened to a friend) or to knock me down and run off with my purse (happened to me). Also, I know that in spite of the story they are telling me, there's a good chance they want the money for drugs or alcohol. It probably wouldn't bother some people how the person will use the money. I just don't feel right contributing to the addiction that may be keeping them homeless.

I tend to be a generous person but I'm not comfortable giving someone money when I'm asked by a stranger on the street.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    its easy for me the last years..
    i answer,"Sorry,im Greek.."
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • its easy for me the last years..
    :lol:
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    I once was approached, in a parking lot by two haggard looking people (a couple), they were very sad and told a sob story...and they asked me for money. I gave them two dollars. Then I walked over to the supermarket with a girl from work.. We were buying beer. I was waiting in line by, looking at a magazine, when the haggard couple walks by, laughing and having a ball...and I kid you not, the man was counting a stack of bills. I know this probably isnt the norm, but I've never once given money on the street since then. And some beggars can get awful pushy, so I dont blame people who ignore them. They can be misleading, and they sometimes wait until you're getting out of your car so that you feel vulnerable, as if they might do something to your car.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • SnakeduckSnakeduck Posts: 1,056
    I see homeless people working in shifts and just handing off their "disabled vet" sign to the next person who comes to work the corner. Makes me want to set up a table with hole in the top and a skirt all around it. Then I would poke my head through the hole with my body hidden below the table so it looked like all I was was a head (like in Futurama). Then I'd have my own disabled vet sign. Who is going to resist giving money to a veteran that is just a head? Talk about down on your luck...
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    :lol:
    :lol::lol:
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799

:lol::lol::lol:

sorry Dimi, but that is HILARIOUS.

I also feel very guilty for finding that so funny :?

It all depends on the situation, I'm with Whoprincess - I won't reach into my bag if someone asks for money or a cigarette, I just say, no sorry. I have given people money before, but it's out of my pocket or the change I may have in my car when they walk up to it
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    I got a flat tire in Hartford once (late). As I was fixing it, this homeless guy came up and asked if I needed help. I told him multiple times that i was all set and he wouldn't budge. When he was done holding my nuts and bolts, he asked me for some cash. Instead of cash I gave him a pair of leather gloves and a scarf.
  • WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    Agree with the safety issues. I'll give money to people on the street often enough, especially if they are seated.

However I've got a VERY strict "No" policy at:

ATM Machines
    Gas Stations
    Walking out of a Convenience Store
    and I think I would add in a Parking Lot

There is a very real threat in those situations and if we collectively said no in those situations, perhaps then it would stop.

People are very vunerable in those spots and there are too many stories of theft and fraud that happen.

A pushy panhandler is OUT in my opinion.

-Wilds
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549

It all depends on the situation, I'm with Whoprincess - I won't reach into my bag if someone asks for money or a cigarette, I just say, no sorry. I have given people money before, but it's out of my pocket or the change I may have in my car when they walk up to it
    :lol::lol: its funny and the truth the same time!!!! :)
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799

:lol::lol: its funny and the truth the same time!!!! :)

I laughed so loud that my co-worker, who is easily 60 yards from me, called and said, what are you laughing at?
    I have quite a hearty laugh, it's one of my best qualities, I think :D

I've been burned before too by people I have given money to, believing their sob story, only to be approached by the very same person two hours later on a different city street. This particular gentleman actually shrunk his shoulders and cringed and said "oh, I already got you"

yes you did jackass
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    LloydXmas wrote:
    When he was done holding my nuts

hehe......

LloydXmas wrote:
    Instead of cash I gave him a pair of leather gloves

of course, his hands were cold on your nuts
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    LloydXmas wrote:
    When he was done holding my nuts

hehe......

LloydXmas wrote:
    Instead of cash I gave him a pair of leather gloves

of course, his hands were cold on your nuts
    :lol::lol: I laughed when I wrote it and was going to change it. Then I said fuck it. :lol::lol:
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,669
    Fuck these people, really.

Unless they have some sort of schtick that is enjoyable (which is rare), I never give money away.

I understand being hard on your luck or whatever, but go get an application for Dunkin Donuts or something.

My standard reply is to hold my hand up and say "No Thank You". The asker is usually so confused they dont/wont have a retort.
  • PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,874
    sure some of them are scamming ... but what percentage?

i always reply to them ... they're human too
  • SnakeduckSnakeduck Posts: 1,056
    sure some of them are scamming ... but what percentage?

i always reply to them ... they're human too

Honestly, I do to... unless it is the scene I described above. If I see people sharing the same disabled vet sign, it tends to piss me off. When they ask for money, I ask them if they've sought assitance from the OVA or anything and when I get that blank look back I know they aren't veterans. I don't care if you ask for money, but don't pretend to be a veteran. Also, I work for a veterans organization, so I am probably biased that way.
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    I've bought or given some of our locals food (one fellow didn't even have a sign or ask for anything; he just looked soul-lost and really hungry).

Sometimes I wonder what sad or fucked up road got them to this place. Stupid decisions? (bad) Luck of the draw? Things just beyond their control?

There but for the grace of (fate?) go I.

I don't know.

There are many who take full and gleeful advantage of the generosity of others. I try to go by my instinct when it comes to monetary giving.
  • KimmiebyromKimmiebyrom Posts: 1,832
    I flat out do not give money to strangers. Period.
    When approached I tell them just that and suggest they have a good day.
    2003 Dallas
    2013 Wrigley
    2013 Dallas
    2013 Oklahoma City
    2013 Seattle

How I choose to feel is how I am.
    There's just one word I still believe...and it's LOVE.
    "Take care of one another..." -EV
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,648
    I always have something within reaching distance in the car so that if I see someone with a cardboard sign at an intersection I can hand it to them- a small snack food, bottle of water, an apple, something like that. Money- not very often and usually then just a coin or two. Food is better.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• iamicaiamica Posts: 2,628
    edited August 2013
    If I have a few dimes or nickels in my pocket, I give them. There are panhandlers and beggars at practically every street corner around here, so it's practically impossible to avoid them.

Every once in awhile if I have a granola bar or some other packaged food and they approach me I'll offer it to them (some of them accept it, some get offended). One time I didn't have any cash or change on me, this guy approached me asking for money and I said, "Sorry, I don't have any" and he accused me of being racist. So I'm a little more wary of giving money nowadays...but if I have a dime or some nickels, fine.
    Post edited by iamica on
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    never in all my years been asked for money or food in iowa. i have saw hobos walking the rails through but never have they set up camp staying more than a couple days. not one single time has a poor ass homeless guy ever asked me for a cigarette here in iowa. our homeless/broke ass bastard scene must be nearly invisible.

on the west coast & when traveling this country i give money & food away like i am santa god damn clause. i don't play games as i am handing out all kinds of good ass shit. homeless & street people were a new thing to me until western washington & cross country trucking.

iowa eats cows, pigs, chickens, corn, & apples & strawberries & melons & it seems to be pretty much ok.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    When asked by needy individuals, I usually give money if they don't look like drug addicts or alcoholics. I feel that it's better to err on the side of being generous in those cases.

I do avoid the people that look like professional beggars however. In Tampa there are some corners with crews of beggars with buckets and fluorescent vests. I don't give those people money. They seem like addicts that just beg for money to get their drugs.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,889
    They are free to ask, and I'm free to say no (maybe 1 time out of 10 I will give them something - depends on the circumstances). But you're right - it's super rude to pretend they're not there. If they address me directly, I always answer them and say I'm sorry, no (or, 1 time out of 10, I say sure, here you go)... Although I think I often seem to be pretending they aren't there because I usually have my headphones on if I'm walking anywhere, so they ask, and I don't hear them. Hopefully they understand what's going on there. :P
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • One time my wife and I were walking through Chicago back to our hotel coming from dinner. We had a to-go box of steak and the fixings from some fancy steak house. We offered it to a homeless begger and they turned it down!
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    One time a black guy asked me for money in a Best Buy parking lot. I politely said "No, I don't have any money to give" to which he responded, "What are you a racist? Can't help a brother out?" I then politely told him to pound sand and carried on with my merry self.

Seriously. The nerve of some people.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
    One time my wife and I were walking through Chicago back to our hotel coming from dinner. We had a to-go box of steak and the fixings from some fancy steak house. We offered it to a homeless begger and they turned it down!
    I've had tons of panhandlers turn down food. They are either on crack or heroin and aren't hungry for anything other than crack or heroin, or those fuckers who are perfectly capable and have decided to make panhandling a career. There are tons of those in Vancouver. These people make up to $400 a day tax-free and have cushy apartments downtown, living a life of luxury by going out and begging and pretending they're homeless. Sick fucks.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • iamicaiamica Posts: 2,628
    youngster wrote:
    One time a black guy asked me for money in a Best Buy parking lot. I politely said "No, I don't have any money to give" to which he responded, "What are you a racist? Can't help a brother out?" I then politely told him to pound sand and carried on with my merry self.

Seriously. The nerve of some people.

Yup. The same thing happened to me. It was infuriating.
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    One time my wife and I were walking through Chicago back to our hotel coming from dinner. We had a to-go box of steak and the fixings from some fancy steak house. We offered it to a homeless begger and they turned it down!
    Reminds me of that Curb Your Enthusiasm episode :mrgreen:
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,648

We have a local who spends everyday standing in the same place on a major street in town with not shirt on swaying back and forth. A brought him a cup of hot coffee one morning and he complained about no cream or sugar. I suppose it's better to offer or ask if help is wanted rather than just give when not asked.

I read about this guy who collects homeless peoples cardboard signs- true, a weird thing to collect. The collector often offers to buy the signs but reports that in some instances people have turned down hundreds of dollars for their sign. I think that's cool. It shows some integrity.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux wrote:

We have a local who spends everyday standing in the same place on a major street in town with not shirt on swaying back and forth. A brought him a cup of hot coffee one morning and he complained about no cream or sugar. I suppose it's better to offer or ask if help is wanted rather than just give when not asked.

I read about this guy who collects homeless peoples cardboard signs- true, a weird thing to collect. The collector often offers to buy the signs but reports that in some instances people have turned down hundreds of dollars for their sign. I think that's cool. It shows some integrity.
    That was very nice of you Brian.... But I couldn't drink a black of coffee either. :oops: It just tastes really bad to me .... However, if you came and gave it to me while I was shirtless and homeless, I think I would take if from you and say thank you.... And then throw it away while thinking about how kind you were. :shifty: I wouldn't complain to you about it! :lol:;)

As for the second example... 65% of homeless people have a mental illness. Some wouldn't stay off the streets if they were actually given a home and money.