Options

san diego hotels near venue/walk/restaurant/bars

pearljamdude420pearljamdude420 Posts: 1,380
edited August 2013 in The Porch
so i was looking at san diego hotels but never been there before not sure where to stay. if i dont have a car there, where is good to stay near the viejas arena, that also has some nice restaurants, not fast food bullshit, or a mix of fast food, and nice dine in restaurants? also anything near ocean good too or bar areas for late at night after show? should i pick to stay downtown is that the best option? seems like there only a few hotels within walking from viejas and they not the nicest reviews on them.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Who I AmWho I Am Posts: 647
    There's a rail train to sdst university campus. Hotel along the rail. Couple decent college bars close to the arena.

All I got
    02MAY2003 - State College, PA
    08JUL2003 - New York, NY (L@TG)
    14JUL2003 - Holmdel, NJ
    01OCT2004 - Reading, PA
    01OCT2005 - Atlantic City, NJ
    03OCT2005 - Philadelphia, PA
    27MAY2006 - Camden, NJ
    01JUN2006 - East Rutherford, NJ
    03JUN2006 - East Rutherford, NJ
    30SEP2009 - Universal City, CA
    09OCT2009 - San Diego, CA
    06JUL2011 - Long Beach, CA (EV)
    19JUL2013 - Wrigley Field, IL
    21OCT2013 - Philadelphia, PA
    22OCT2013 - Philadelphia, PA
    27OCT2013 - Baltimore, MD
    29APR2016 - Philadelphia, PA (TEN)
    05AUG2016 - Fenway Park, MA
    07AUG2016 - Fenway Park, MA
    27AUG2016 - Dana Point, CA (Ohana)
    18AUG2018 - Wrigley Field, IL
    20AUG2018 - Wrigley Field, IL
    18SEP2021 - Asbury Park, NJ
    14SEP2022 - Camden, NJ

• Options
    baruchrbaruchr San Diego Posts: 85
    Best bet is probably the hotel circle area in Mission Valley, the trolley (light rail) has some stops in the area and takes you directly to SDSU so no car needed

let me know if you need anything else, im a local
    San Diego 98
    Irvine 03
    San Diego 06
    West Palm Beach 08
    Los Angeles 2 09
    San Diego 09
    Missoula 12
    Wrigley 13
    San Diego 13
    Los Angeles 1/2 13
    New York City 1/2 16
  • Options
    AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    edited August 2013
    I had a friend ask me this yesterday. Unfortunately there aren't any hotels near the venue, which is at SDSU. I'm assuming you want to stay somewhere with some nightlife. In that case, my recommendation would be to stay downtown (Gaslamp district) or as previously mentioned, Mission Valley. The trolley goes directly to SDSU and both of those areas. I went to SDSU and honestly don't really recommend hanging out at any of the college bars...unless that's your age/scene. There are some fun areas by the beach, with lots of bars right on the water...but the trolley doesn't go there. Just be aware that it might be hard to find a cab after the show.

http://www.sdmts.com/trolley/trolley.asp
    http://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g328 ... tions.html

I personally recommend staying downtown...lots of bars and yummy restaurants.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_R ... ornia.html

I'm a local and lived here for 33 years. I'm happy to answer any questions, offer recommendations...PM me!
    Post edited by AmentsChick on
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• Options
    GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,908
    yeah, it's pretty slim pickings around the venue. Parking lots are pretty monitored as well so minimal tailgaiting unless you want to throw down drinks inside your parked car.

The good thing is the band always brings it to SDSU and the crowd returns the energy. 06 was one for the ages
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • Options
    GratefulJamGratefulJam Posts: 1,784
    09 was not bad either ;)

except for the poster......
    yeah, it's pretty slim pickings around the venue. Parking lots are pretty monitored as well so minimal tailgaiting unless you want to throw down drinks inside your parked car.

The good thing is the band always brings it to SDSU and the crowd returns the energy. 06 was one for the ages
    "thru extensive negotiations we managed to get the curfew moved back..... we still don't have any time to fu&k around...."

LA II 06, SB 06, SF III 06, Kokua 07 Ed and Jack, Grant Park 07, EV Berk1 & LA 1 (nice job 10c), 08 DC, MSG1 &2, VH1 rocks, EV Bos II, EV NYC I & II, Milwaukee, EV Maui, EV Hono I & II, Chicago 09 I & II, LA 09 I & II & IV, SD 09 (my girlfriend hit the lottery, best concert of my life 10C rocks)KC 2010, STL 2010, Hartford. Boston, and MSG I & II "who goes around skinning cats anyway", PJ 20 2011 , Portland, Spokane, Seattle LA 2013, Home Shows + Missoula (fatal 👌)
  • Options
    covered in blisscovered in bliss chi-caw-go Posts: 1,330
    My daughter & I stayed at Pacific Terrace on Diamond Street. We walked to the venue easily and took a cab back. We were there for a few days and walked around everywhere.
  • Options
    Beaverhausen209Beaverhausen209 Central Valley, CA Posts: 60
    baruchr wrote:
    Best bet is probably the hotel circle area in Mission Valley, the trolley (light rail) has some stops in the area and takes you directly to SDSU so no car needed

Will the trolley still be running after the concert? I'm from northern California and our BART system is great, but it stops running around midnight so if you want to catch a full concert, you can't really use it. From what I understand, my hotel is near the trolley and I would MUCH rather take it than drive! Thanks for any info, San Diego-ites...San Dieg-uns...San Diegans :)
  • Options
    My daughter & I stayed at Pacific Terrace on Diamond Street. We walked to the venue easily and took a cab back. We were there for a few days and walked around everywhere.

You walked to the venue from Pacific Beach? That's like 10-15 miles!

• Options
    edited August 2013
    baruchr wrote:

Will the trolley still be running after the concert? I'm from northern California and our BART system is great, but it stops running around midnight so if you want to catch a full concert, you can't really use it. From what I understand, my hotel is near the trolley and I would MUCH rather take it than drive! Thanks for any info, San Diego-ites...San Dieg-uns...San Diegans :)

Yup, it sure will! I took it last time (2009) and it was kind of a cluster getting on after the show since so many people used it. But it was definitely worth it.

• Options
    NAUjackfanNAUjackfan Phoenix Posts: 2,340
    Here's where some of us coming from AZ are staying:
    San Diego hotel http://www.hotels.com/hotel/details.html?hotelId=105457
    Map Link from Days Inn La Mesa to the concert http://goo.gl/maps/tU1hG

Here's the Road Trip event page (AZ to SD to LA) https://www.facebook.com/events/150733625122020/
    tumblr_mtr9t5SROk1r0d33so1_400.gif
    Click to visit the Arizona PJ Fans Page

PJ
    PHX 98|ABQ, PHX, Seattle 00|PHX 03|Arras 10|PJ20 1&2 11|Missoula 12|PHX, SD, LA 1&2 13|Denver 14|Telluride 16
    EV
    Vegas 1&2, PHX 12|Ohana 16
    TOTD
    LA 16
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    NAUjackfan wrote:

Here's the Road Trip event page (AZ to SD to LA) https://www.facebook.com/events/150733625122020/

That place is pretty close to the venue, not close enough to walk though. Not much nightlife...if any at all. That area tends to be a little rough at night. El Cajon Blvd is known for hooker activity...I don't know...maybe that's your thing.

• Options
    Beaverhausen209Beaverhausen209 Central Valley, CA Posts: 60
    baruchr wrote:

Yup, it sure will! I took it last time (2009) and it was kind of a cluster getting on after the show since so many people used it. But it was definitely worth it.

Awesome! Thanks for the info!
  • Options
    NAUjackfanNAUjackfan Phoenix Posts: 2,340
    NAUjackfan wrote:

That place is pretty close to the venue. Not much nightlife...if any at all.

I think we'll be bringing the nightlife. I plan on filling the trunk with the traveling bar. When/if that runs out, there's Norm's next door (https://plus.google.com/101814720047519 ... l=us&hl=en) and Chico's (http://www.chicoclub1940.com/) just down the street.
    tumblr_mtr9t5SROk1r0d33so1_400.gif
    Click to visit the Arizona PJ Fans Page

PJ
    PHX 98|ABQ, PHX, Seattle 00|PHX 03|Arras 10|PJ20 1&2 11|Missoula 12|PHX, SD, LA 1&2 13|Denver 14|Telluride 16
    EV
    Vegas 1&2, PHX 12|Ohana 16
    TOTD
    LA 16
  • Options

Youre right. Brain fart, sorry!

We stayed somewhere else concert night. I forgot. We did walk to venue , tho and left show within 10 seconds of hearing YL start. Cabs were available.
  • Options

Youre right. Brain fart, sorry!

We stayed somewhere else concert night. I forgot. We did walk to venue , tho and left show within 10 seconds of hearing YL start. Cabs were available.

Pacific Terrace looks really nice. I'll keep that in mind next time I need a staycation! LOL Just out of curiosity, do you remember where you picked up the cab? That might be helpful to people. The venue is smack dab in the middle of campus and except for the side street by the arena, for those not in the know finding cabs might be hard.

• Options
    [/quote]

We stayed at Best Western Lamplighter Inn. Nice pool, clean room. Cabs were right outside the venue. Im pretty sure we exited the same way we came in...the south side of the arena.

pacific terrace was really nice. We walked all over the place, lots of good restaurants and excellent people watching on the boardwalk during the farmers market.
  • Options
    KathiKathi Posts: 1,828
    we're staying near the beach, coming in a day early so we get to enjoy it a little! we'll have a car though, so no problem getting around...but I do remember my gps not finding the venue last time!
  • Options
    PopmartijnPopmartijn Posts: 382
    Bumping this thread as I'm also looking for a nice place to stay in San Diego. If I got the recommendations right then Downtown is the place to be. Right? :)

San Diego will be the start of my California roadtrip, so I will end up with a rented car eventually. I just hope to hold it off for a few days while I'm staying in San Diego (arriving the 19th and likely leaving the 22nd). So if the trolley/light train is a good option to and from the venue, then that would be excellent.

Any other good suggestions for things to see or do for those out-of-town/state/country? :)
  • Options
    PopmartijnPopmartijn Posts: 382
    In the end I went with a hotel in Little Italy. But from the looks of it, the San Diego centre (or at least, Little Italy, Downtown, Gaslamp Quarter, Balboa Park) does not look that big. Staying a full day before the show. And as I have a seat, I can probably spend another half a day on showday for sightseeing.

How long does it take to get to LA from San Diego? That will be my next stop on my roadtrip. Is it about 3 hours away?
  • Options
    Popmartijn wrote:
    Bumping this thread as I'm also looking for a nice place to stay in San Diego. If I got the recommendations right then Downtown is the place to be. Right? :)

San Diego will be the start of my California roadtrip, so I will end up with a rented car eventually. I just hope to hold it off for a few days while I'm staying in San Diego (arriving the 19th and likely leaving the 22nd). So if the trolley/light train is a good option to and from the venue, then that would be excellent.

Any other good suggestions for things to see or do for those out-of-town/state/country? :)

Sea World!
  • Options
    crowes74crowes74 Posts: 273
    Watching Anchorman, really getting in the mood for some time in SanDiego.