Options

Big Day Out

2»

Comments

• Options
    JS216376JS216376 Posts: 1
    Yet another fan who would basically pay 180 bucks to see them at a side show, but really not interested at all in it being at the BDO.. Its gonna suck. I actually quite like blur, but again, the BDO atmosphere with that is gonna ruin that as well.

That said I have now bought the ticket, because what the hell else am I gonna do. If there is any side shows I will dump that ticket as fast possible to some drunken teen who wasn't even born when Ten came out.. who will only know 2 PJ songs, and will probably get pissed off their head and then piss on people in the mosh..
  • Options
    ZimzuMZimzuM Posts: 209
    Got my ticket to melbourne, sadly there will be no side shows
    2/3/98 Melbourne, 18/2/03 Melbourne, 19/2/03 Melbourne, 20/2/03 Melbourne, 4/9/06 Lisbon, 5/9/06 Lisbon, 7/9/06 Madrid, 9/9/06 Marsielle, 11/9/06 Paris, 7/11/06 Sydney, 8/11/06 Sydney, 10/11/06 Brisbane, 11/11/06 Brisbane, 13/11/06 Melbourne, 14/11/06 Melbourne, 16/11/06 Melbourne, 20/11/00 Melbourne
  • Options
    hel78 wrote:
    Maybe all us Aussie 10C members need to band together at the BDO's somehow & try to create our own 10c member area. At least there'd be safety in numbers & we might stand a chance of enjoying the shows amongst the drunken teenage crowds :) Not happy bout the BDO thing, but still going just to see PJ & Mudhoney

This could be possible, they are adding a 3rd main stage.
    A WEALTH of rock star riches with three headliners: Pearl Jam, Arcade Fire and Blur, will add a third main stage to the 2014 Big Day Out as the festival beefs up measures to combat heat stress after the record-breaking temperatures of last year's event in Sydney.
    2/3/98 Melbourne, 18/2/03 Melbourne, 19/2/03 Melbourne, 20/2/03 Melbourne, 4/9/06 Lisbon, 5/9/06 Lisbon, 7/9/06 Madrid, 9/9/06 Marsielle, 11/9/06 Paris, 7/11/06 Sydney, 8/11/06 Sydney, 10/11/06 Brisbane, 11/11/06 Brisbane, 13/11/06 Melbourne, 14/11/06 Melbourne, 16/11/06 Melbourne, 20/11/00 Melbourne
  • Options
    ozjam75 wrote:
    I have seen PJ every year that they have come to Australia, the first being Eastern Creek in Sydney all those years ago. I am terribly upset and disappointed to hear that they are playing BDO and at my age I refuse to put up with all the drunken yobbos all day to see them come on at 8 or 9 pm at night. This is not your fan base PJ. I hope either they or their promoters have a reality check and play side shows in every state. I'm pretty sure that there are many loyal 10C fans that have stuck with them through all the ups and downs that won't be attending if this doesn't happen. Unfortunately this one included.

It seems they would have signed agreements on no side shows. I think tis problem started with the 09 tour. They done stadium shows, pulled huge crowds and enjoyed it. IT probably helped changed their view of no festivals.

You dont have to hang around all day, I wont be. When I went for Metallica I turned up at 6 and avoided the crap. I will be doing the same this time.
  • Options
    Kv248896Kv248896 Posts: 14
    Got tickets but not happy! This is very unlike PJ and I agree, why even be a fan club member? I did get the tickets through the pre-sale but there are 2 or 3 other ways of getting tickets early.
    I guess the bogan teenagers scene is going to be the worst on the Gold Coast. Might have to sell my tickets closer to the date, especially if they announce a side show.
    Anybody sharing the feeling of Eddie doing a little show by himself on some stage somewhere..? Most bands sign a no side shows agreement to get people to come to the show.

Research shows that last year several bands have done side shows so not sure what PJ has signed up for.. I'd say a little show for fans club members in Brisbane's Tivoli would be my preference.
  • Options
    So, without further ado...

Big Day Out is proud to present Seattle's PEARL JAM who will be playing at each Big Day Out including different sets at each Sydney show. Officially closing the Blue Stage, you don't want to miss out on Pearl Jam's debut Big Day Out shows. This will be your only chance to see Pearl Jam in Australia and New Zealand this summer.

Pearl Jam's much-anticipated tenth studio album, Lightning Bolt, will be released internationally on October 14, 2013. Lightning Bolt is available for pre-order now and the debut track from the album, "Mind Your Manners," is available for download - both on iTunes and at www.pearljam.com.
  • Options
    ArremceeArremcee Posts: 7
    lowraw wrote:
    Fantastic birthday present PJ coming to Australia but BDO really?
    Like most Ten Club members I'm far too old to be around drunk 17 year olds.
    Please have side shows, as I wont be paying over $1000 for tickets, airfares and accommodation for BDO but would pay now for a proper show, better yet come to Tassie!!!

Same as me, found out on my birthday. Bit heartbroken. Bought BDO tix as security against a lack of sideshow.
    I hate BigDayOut, especially with the GHB issues in Melbourne, will not be a plesant crowd.

Contemplated not going, but I just can't deal with missing them.
    PJ Melbourne - 2006 Melbourne - 2009 Melbourne - 2014 EV Perth - 2011 Melbourne 2014
  • Options
    just remember people you dont have to hang around all day. PJ's slot would be at around 8
  • Options
    Kegzy05Kegzy05 Posts: 93
    Yep... Utterly disappointed and although i never thought i would opt out of any show headlined with PJ, i can safely say that you can count me out this time.. ill hang onto my memories of '09 in favour of stepping one foot in that festival its a fuckin joke.. Guess ill crawl back under my rock, such a shame.. See you all in 5 years or so.. :fp:
    "I dont question, our existence
    I just question, our modern needs"
  • Options
    NucariNucari Posts: 20
    I just checked my email this morning and found that PJ are coming back to Oz. Woo hoo! Oh how happy I was until I realised that they are playing at the BDO. And presale tickets have already gone on sale with only one days notice. Not happy!

But I will most likely tough it out and go along and see them. I haven't missed any of their previous Australian tours and do not want to miss them this time around.

RHCP were headliners at this years show and performed exclusively for the BDO and I would expect that PJ will have the same arrangement. The organisers are being very ambitious in already announcing 2 Sydney shows so I'm sure they will be banking on PJ to bring in the crowds. In recent years the BDO has struggled to get good crowds, what with some of the questionable acts, high prices and many other festivals on offer so I highly doubt PJ will play any sideshows and also I don't think we need to be in a hurry to buy tickets.
  • Options
    TyTy Posts: 1,007
    pmoses wrote:
    +1

I hope PJ realise BDO is a nothing but a cesspool of drunk teenagers pissing all over the place. Nice way to alienate the majority of your Aussie fans. Sideshows please!
    Kind of makes Ten Club memberships a bit redundant too. This is a complete joke. I hope they come to their senses. I'm not going.

I'm glad you aren't going!

You people... ungrateful idiots! PJ have played festivals since 1992 all over the world. BDO is a great day. I'm 32 and have been to 11 of them. Seen some amazing bands, got a bit sun burnt/hot, paid too much for a beer, and stood next to sweaty drunk people requesting the singles... just like the 2009 stadium tour and pretty much every tour I've been to since 1998.
    PJ - Sydney 1998; Sydney 2003; Sydney, Melbourne, Newcastle 2006; Melbourne, Sydney 2009; Gold Coast, Melbourne, Sydney 2014.
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle, Sydney 2011; Sydney 2014.
  • Options
    dh27dh27 Posts: 4
    Deadset, listen to yourselves.

Complaining about Big Day Out, how long you've had to wait to see the band, the other music fans at festival who god forbid have different taste to you own, whinge, whinge, etc. etc.

As an Australian Pearl Jam fan, I'm embarrassed. The amount of people blowing up about this unreal. They are a HUGE international band, highly in demand all over the world. Not just Australia, the WORLD! (I know, we're a little island, hard to remember that sometimes!) They are touring a brand new album and want as many new people to hear it. A festival makes perfect sense - we all LOVE Pearl Jam, shouldn't we encourage new fans to get on board? Isn't a festival the perfect way to increase the worldwide fan base and introduce the band we love to younger generation (um, showing my age there!)

If they were selling out with animal skin lined jackets at the merch stand, or encouraging unethical practices, or using a position of power for ill-gain, then sure, I'd understand the backlash. But they're not. They're touring to our little island at the bottom of world after making us wait all of... gasp... four years! In the scheme of an international touring band's schedule, that is bugger all.

The decision has been made. They aren't going to change it because a few of you are unhappy about it. $185 for a festival, OK, granted is a tad expensive. But the last time they were here in Australia, in Sydney, it cost about $120 (from memory). So really, an extra $60 to see support bands such as Mudhoney, Arcade Fire and Blur isn't a lot (for me personally at least, but I understand that's not the case for everyone).

Ultimately though, my message is simple. Stop your complaining about it because it embarrassing. All our international friends on this forum must think we're a bunch of whingers. Our favourite band is coming back to Australia! Get excited about it. You know it's going to be epic! :D
  • Options
    ryanjp2323ryanjp2323 Posts: 561
    dh27 wrote:
    Deadset, listen to yourselves.

Complaining about Big Day Out, how long you've had to wait to see the band, the other music fans at festival who god forbid have different taste to you own, whinge, whinge, etc. etc.

As an Australian Pearl Jam fan, I'm embarrassed. The amount of people blowing up about this unreal. They are a HUGE international band, highly in demand all over the world. Not just Australia, the WORLD! (I know, we're a little island, hard to remember that sometimes!) They are touring a brand new album and want as many new people to hear it. A festival makes perfect sense - we all LOVE Pearl Jam, shouldn't we encourage new fans to get on board? Isn't a festival the perfect way to increase the worldwide fan base and introduce the band we love to younger generation (um, showing my age there!)

If they were selling out with animal skin lined jackets at the merch stand, or encouraging unethical practices, or using a position of power for ill-gain, then sure, I'd understand the backlash. But they're not. They're touring to our little island at the bottom of world after making us wait all of... gasp... four years! In the scheme of an international touring band's schedule, that is bugger all.

The decision has been made. They aren't going to change it because a few of you are unhappy about it. $185 for a festival, OK, granted is a tad expensive. But the last time they were here in Australia, in Sydney, it cost about $120 (from memory). So really, an extra $60 to see support bands such as Mudhoney, Arcade Fire and Blur isn't a lot (for me personally at least, but I understand that's not the case for everyone).

Ultimately though, my message is simple. Stop your complaining about it because it embarrassing. All our international friends on this forum must think we're a bunch of whingers. Our favourite band is coming back to Australia! Get excited about it. You know it's going to be epic! :D

Well done! :clap::clap:

Honestly I'm pissed PJ is playing Rogers arena not the Coliseum in Vancouver as they did in 2011. I'll be cancelling my trip out west If they don't add a second Seattle show. :fp: :fp: Need three shows in 5 days to to make the wait in the airport etc.. worth it. :lol::lol::lol:

Really though.. I can see the disappointment to some degree. Not likely to get a 30 song set... but will get to see Arcade Fire and others. Snoop Dog jamming with PJ being a possibility... EPIC!! Enjoy!!
    IF NOTHING IS EVERYTHING, I'LL HAVE IT ALL.

Vancouver 2003
    EV Vancouver 2008
    Winnipeg & Saskatoon 2011
    Wrigley July 2013
    Vancouver & Seattle 2013
    Tulsa, Lincoln & St. Paul 2014
    Mexico City 2015
    Quebec City, Ottawa, Wrigley 1 & 2 2016
    Seattle TOTD 1 & 2 2016 
    London 1, Cancelled / Boarderline, Missoula, Wrigley 1 & 2 2018
    Ohana 2019 
  • Options
    LoulouLoulou Adelaide Posts: 6,247
    ryanjp2323 wrote:

Snoop Dog jamming with PJ being a possibility... EPIC!! Enjoy!!
    OH PLEASE GOD NOOOOOOOOO!!!!! :lol:
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • Options
    pmosespmoses Posts: 12
    ZimzuM wrote:
    hel78 wrote:
    Maybe all us Aussie 10C members need to band together at the BDO's somehow & try to create our own 10c member area. At least there'd be safety in numbers & we might stand a chance of enjoying the shows amongst the drunken teenage crowds :) Not happy bout the BDO thing, but still going just to see PJ & Mudhoney

A WEALTH of rock star riches with three headliners: Pearl Jam, Arcade Fire and Blur, will add a third main stage to the 2014 Big Day Out as the festival beefs up measures to combat heat stress after the record-breaking temperatures of last year's event in Sydney.

I got tickets to Perth an a VERY keen to do this! Lets band together Ten Clubbers!
  • Options
    Kv248896Kv248896 Posts: 14
    pmoses wrote:
    ZimzuM wrote:
    hel78 wrote:

I got tickets to Perth an a VERY keen to do this! Lets band together Ten Clubbers!

Anybody up for a Gold Coast reunion....?
  • Options
    hel78hel78 Posts: 21
    pmoses wrote:
    ZimzuM wrote:
    hel78 wrote:

I've got my Perth tickets too 8-)
    Can't buy what I want because it's FREE!!!
  • Options
    One of the great things about a Pearl Jam gig, as evidenced brilliantly in Jason Leung's book, is the community feel - where you can confidently talk to the stranger next to you about the band and what songs you want to hear etc without worry. You feel safe, and this goes a long way to enjoying the gig.

The BDO is the complete opposite, and - for people who are financially challenged (many long-time fans are in their mid-late 30s minimum and have families) and aren't fans of any other bands on the bill - paying extra $$$ for the privilege of squeezing through thousands of drunken/drugged-up revelers simply takes the fun out of it.

I can understand those on here saying these people (and yes, I am one of them) should pull their heads in, fork out $185 and go and listen to new music and join in the party atmosphere. Hopefully they can understand we have been there, done that and are now at a different stage of life - one where we go to music gigs for, well, the music.

And as for whinging, maybe we should just not go (avoiding people screaming in our ear and the real possibility of someone spewing/pissing on our leg) and say nothing. This would give the band the impression there isn't a problem, when there is. Hopefully, as a result of a few posts, they come back for their own shows sooner rather than later.
    Why do I love Pearl Jam? The answer is here
  • Options
    E.KE.K New South Wales, Australia Posts: 7,700
    Kv248896 wrote:
    Anybody up for a Gold Coast reunion....?

I'm going to the Gold Coast BDO. Check out this thread for pre show parties etc.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=214414

A Ten Club member area at BDO during PJ's set sounds great. 8-)
  • Options
    FYI the second Sydney BDO scheduled for January 27th has been cancelled.

http://www.bigdayout.com/
  • Options
    And now Blur has cancelled. :shock:

http://www.fasterlouder.com.au/news/377 ... ig-Day-Out

Sometimes I wish the whole festival would get cancelled then Pearl Jam would hopefully do a proper tour here next year.
  • Options
    hel78hel78 Posts: 21
    Trying to find other 10C members in a crowd of thousands will be difficult. Thinking maybe face-paint/draw the 10C "Club" logo somewhere on ourselves. Any other ideas? Plus now that BDO has moved to Joondalup arena - its a place Im not familiar with so I cant suggest a place to meet.
    Can't buy what I want because it's FREE!!!
  • Options
    WallyWally Posts: 35
    I will be wearing my 10C Halloween edition tshirt for the Perth gig.
    3 March 1998 (Tue) - Rod Laver Arena, Melbourne
    19 March 1998 (Thu) - Perth Entertainment Centre
    23 February 2003 (Sun) - Burswood Dome, Perth
    25 November 2006 (Sat) - Subiaco Oval, Perth
    14 November 2009 (Sat) - ME Bank Stadium, Perth
    2 February 2014 (Sun) - Arena Joondalup, Perth
  • Options
    donnamareedonnamaree Nelson NZ Posts: 12
    Prawnstar said:

One of the great things about a Pearl Jam gig, as evidenced brilliantly in Jason Leung's book, is the community feel - where you can confidently talk to the stranger next to you about the band and what songs you want to hear etc without worry. You feel safe, and this goes a long way to enjoying the gig.

The BDO is the complete opposite, and - for people who are financially challenged (many long-time fans are in their mid-late 30s minimum and have families) and aren't fans of any other bands on the bill - paying extra $$$ for the privilege of squeezing through thousands of drunken/drugged-up revelers simply takes the fun out of it.

I can understand those on here saying these people (and yes, I am one of them) should pull their heads in, fork out $185 and go and listen to new music and join in the party atmosphere. Hopefully they can understand we have been there, done that and are now at a different stage of life - one where we go to music gigs for, well, the music.

And as for whinging, maybe we should just not go (avoiding people screaming in our ear and the real possibility of someone spewing/pissing on our leg) and say nothing. This would give the band the impression there isn't a problem, when there is. Hopefully, as a result of a few posts, they come back for their own shows sooner rather than later.

I went to BDO in Auckland I have never been to one before and only went because PJ was there. We wait for over 10 hours to ensure we were front of stage at the rail the other people next to me were also 10c members and it was great you feel confident talking to them cause you know why you are all there and one of them even said to me you are safe here at the rail which whould have been true if it was just a PJ concert and not BDO cause from the 1st PJ song the pushing started it was horriable and 1 by one the people around me had to get pulled out I did not even get to enjoy the first 3 songs as I was trying not to be crushed which is what ended up happening to the point I could not breath and me and another 10C member had to be pulled out at the same time so I will never do that again unless it is a PJ concert were I know that it is a communtiy feel and you do feel safe as I did at the 09 CH-CH concert eveyone looked after each other even though you had never met these people before. So I agree alot of money for the tickets and concert and then all that time standing through other bands that you don't know or like for nothing but feeling like you are going to die Gutting.

:(
    Feel the path of every day,... Which road you taking?,...
    Breathing hard,... Making hay,... Yeh this is living,...
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    Scanners said:

What a joke! I know its PJ but going through all the BDO bullsh*t is not worth it. Aussie tenclub members need sideshows!

Well it's been over Four Years now...I'm starting to think I may have to go Overseas to see them...I was actually considering going to the BDO to see them if there was a Better lineup.

• Options
    So to those who saw Pearl Jam at the Big Day Out, what was your experience? Mine was pretty positive actually. I went to the Gold Coast BDO and had no problems with anything or anyone there and even got myself a spot on the front rail near Stone. My only complaint was that the sound wasn't great eg. had problems hearing Mike for most of the night. I want a "real" tour next time though. :)
  • Options
    doomponydoompony Wellington, NZ Posts: 4,497
    The Pearl Jam element was fantastic and it was nice to be able to sorta watch other awesome bands while we waited, but the Big Day Out experience itself was horrible and I don't wanna have to do it again ever.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I had never been to a Big Day Out before but I do go to the Byron Bay Blues Festival every year and found it much like that, except with a much younger crowd. I might even consider going to Gold Coast BDO again, depending on who the headliner is. :>
    Post edited by E.K on