Henry Rollins rules on the road.

brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,648
edited August 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Went to see the nephew-kids and family and due to the wife eye surgery/altitude restrictions, took the long way to avoid change in altitude. Brutal drive, great visit.

On the road, Henry is the man. He'll get you there and back. I read Do I Come Here Often along the way. Total honesty, total integrity, great stories, no B.S.

Henry's the man.
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I agree. I love Rollins, I have his spoken word shows on my ipod and I often listen to them on the road or when I need a bit of motivation.
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    One of the coolest badass dudes on the planet. I almost always catch one show per spoken word tour. He is a renaissance man.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,082
    brianlux wrote:
    Went to see the nephew-kids and family and due to the wife eye surgery/altitude restrictions, took the long way to avoid change in altitude. Brutal drive, great visit.

On the road, Henry is the man. He'll get you there and back. I read Do I Come Here Often along the way. Total honesty, total integrity, great stories, no B.S.

Henry's the man.
    i have read black coffee blues. great book, great performer.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,648
    Yeah, Henry is not only great for on the road but for life in general. When I'm feeling down or discouraged or need a kick in the pants, Henry's the man.

Like now- totally exhausted from this trip, feeling my age, trying to catch up at work, and just want to rest. Reading a little Henry is fuel in the tank.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• WWHRD?
    I carried a watermelon
  • CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    I heard one of the spoken word things in my life.. It was like a stand up comedy performance!!

Maybe someone can help, I would love to hear it again..

He talked about punching a fan for spitting on him at a show and being molested as a kid.. a bus driver was involved, dont remember if he was the molester or the guy the helped him..
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • jlaustinjlaustin Posts: 2,355
    Love Henry! Have been to 5 or so of his spoken word shows. He seems to enjoy Ann Arbor. My husband has read all of his books - I need to read them. My favorite story is at one of the shows, after about an hour and a half of awesome storytelling, he says I have just one more quick story, and he proceeds to tell about his trans-Siberian train trip, for about another hour or more. :lol:

My husband has great stories about Henry from when my husband was a teenager... My husband would hunt down the "van" whenever Black Flag was in Ann Arbor. Hubby would knock on the window and wake Henry up to get an autograph - it always ended up being a great story. One time, Henry used a ballpoint pen to sign hubby's Black Flag skateboard, hubby wanted something more substantial, so he ran to the local record shop to get a Sharpie, went back and woke him up again and said can you sign it bigger? Henry drew a circle with a line through his previous autograph and then signed again with the Sharpie! That skateboard hangs on our wall today!

Another time, hubby waited in line at Schoolkids Records for an autograph, right behind one of the members of MC5 :o , when Henry signed hubby's Family Man vinyl, he wrote H with the bars, and hubby says can you sign your whole name? Henry then wrote in all caps "I AM HENRY ROLLINS!!!" Also, hanging on our wall today.

To this day, I am amazed at the patience Henry showed! :lol:

Thanks for reading, I just love these stories...
    2013 Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 Cincy, Detroit, Moline, & Milwaukee
    2015 Central Park
    2016 Lexington, Ottawa, Toronto 1 & 2, Boston 1 & 2, Chicago 1 & 2
    2017 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    2018 Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Chicago 1

• Caveeze wrote:
    I heard one of the spoken word things in my life.. It was like a stand up comedy performance!!

He talked about punching a fan for spitting on him at a show and being molested as a kid.. a bus driver was involved, dont remember if he was the molester or the guy the helped him..

That's Live at McCabe's

One of my favourite Henry Stories

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOjjY-Pp_og
  • jumbojetjumbojet Posts: 1,484
    Caveeze wrote:

That's Live at McCabe's

There is always good wisdom in this forum. I am so greatful I've got to find out about this guy. It made my day, and my wife's too.

This video was hilarious, so were a bunch of others that we watched today. Trans-siberian train was particularly interesting for us, certainly.

We also got to watch the 50-year birthday show in DC. It was more of a wise-man telling stories and giving life lessons than a stand-up comedy performance. But we still dug it.

Thanks guys.
    What's your part, who you are?

2012: Arras, Berlin 1-2
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires
    2014: Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: NY MSG 1
  • jumbojet wrote:

There is always good wisdom in this forum. I am so greatful I've got to find out about this guy. It made my day, and my wife's too.

This video was hilarious, so were a bunch of others that we watched today. Trans-siberian train was particularly interesting for us, certainly.

We also got to watch the 50-year birthday show in DC. It was more of a wise-man telling stories and giving life lessons than a stand-up comedy performance. But we still dug it.

Thanks guys.

He can be very dynamic. He's like a stand up comedian, political activist, travel blogger and a teacher all rolled into one. Live in the Conversation Pit is a great DVD if anyone is looking for a jump point but there are many many shows available on DVD/CD/MP3 to buy/steal. I've only had the priviledge to see him perform once a couple of years ago but you can be sure I'll be buying tickets next time he comes to my country. The Trans-siberian story is great too :lol: I want to make that journey one day.
    jumbojet wrote:

Thanks guys.

He can be very dynamic. He's like a stand up comedian, political activist, travel blogger and a teacher all rolled into one. Live in the Conversation Pit is a great DVD if anyone is looking for a jump point but there are many many shows available on DVD/CD/MP3 to buy/steal. I've only had the priviledge to see him perform once a couple of years ago but you can be sure I'll be buying tickets next time he comes to my country. The Trans-siberian story is great too :lol: I want to make that journey one day.

Terrifically well said, Digital Twilight! Here a link that contains Rollins true story, "The Iron". I'm not a weight lifter- I'd rather do stretching and/or yoga- but the gist of this story is that ultimately each one of us must find our own source of strength in order to carry on. I read this story from time to time when I feel the need to hack rather than pack and keep moving forward. It's a gem:

http://www.oldtimestrongman.com/strengt ... ry-rollins

• gunter1976gunter1976 Posts: 587
    I read several books by Henry, and enjoyed his writing. I also attended a couple of his spoken word performances throughout the years, and definitely enjoyed those as well.

Still, I decided to pass up on his spoken word shows for the time being, since I felt I kept getting a bit much of the same eventually.

Yet Henry is a man on a mission. His continuous drive and unfailing energy is mindboggling. Case in point, who here can manage a three-hour rant with as little as a couple of sips of water night after night.. .
    "...bring it back someway bring it back, back, back... to the clean form, to the pure form..."

My Fugazi Live Series ramblings and blog: anothersievefistedfind.tumblr.com
  • gunter1976 wrote:
    Yet Henry is a man on a mission. His continuous drive and unfailing energy is mindboggling. Case in point, who here can manage a three-hour rant with as little as a couple of sips of water night after night.. .

He did a show in the UK once and I believe he just said he's gonna stay here and talk until you all leave :lol:
    brianlux wrote:

Terrifically well said, Digital Twilight! Here a link that contains Rollins true story, "The Iron". I'm not a weight lifter- I'd rather do stretching and/or yoga- but the gist of this story is that ultimately each one of us must find our own source of strength in order to carry on. I read this story from time to time when I feel the need to hack rather than pack and keep moving forward. It's a gem:

http://www.oldtimestrongman.com/strengt ... ry-rollins

Thanks for that, I've never read that one.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    brianlux wrote:
    Henry's the man.

well you know Ive got nothing to add here. ;)8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • SD48277SD48277 Posts: 12,243
    LOVE Rollins!

I am currently reading "Before the Chop," a collection of his weekly columns for the LA Weekly. His enthusiasm is infectious. Can't wait for him to go on tour again.
    ELITIST FUK
  • SD48277 wrote:
    LOVE Rollins!

I am currently reading "Before the Chop," a collection of his weekly columns for the LA Weekly. His enthusiasm is infectious. Can't wait for him to go on tour again.

I love that book. I thought it would have been more political ramblings instead about music but it's great all the same. A great read for any music fan. I've also discovered some great bands through that book. The Eddy Current Suppression Ring are amazing, check out the album Primary Colours.
  • SD48277SD48277 Posts: 12,243
    The Eddy Current Suppression Ring are amazing, check out the album Primary Colours.
    Will do. Thanks!
    ELITIST FUK
    SD48277 wrote:
    LOVE Rollins!

One I don't have! Have to track one down- thanks for the tip!

• DURPDURP Posts: 2,180
    I've seen Rollins spoken word twice and I have seen Rollins Band twice as well.

The best show was the Benefit for the WM3 he did here when the CD Rise Above was released. He has always been a awesome person.
    My butt itches!