COFFEE MAKERS

LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
edited July 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
So I got a new Krups 12 cup drip coffee maker this past weekend. How much coffee do you use to make the perfect cup?

Just want to get other people's thoughts

I've been using a French press for the past 3 years.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dankinddankind Posts: 20,835
    Depends on the type of coffee, the type of grind, how strong you like it, etc.

What kind of coffee do you buy?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    dankind wrote:
    Depends on the type of coffee, the type of grind, how strong you like it, etc.

What kind of coffee do you buy?

Pike place medium blend. Ground specifically for cone filters
  • sparky_frysparky_fry Posts: 760
    If I make 6 cups of coffee i usually use around 3 Heaping tablespoons. It really comes down to personal taste and trial/error.
    Start with two scoops (tbsp) per every measured cup on the side. See how that treats you. Adjust accordingly.

Once you get the perfect cup, don't forget what you did to get it.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    sparky_fry wrote:
    If I make 6 cups of coffee i usually use around 3 Heaping tablespoons. It really comes down to personal taste and trial/error.

Thanks. I'll start with this and work my way towards my preference. I'm the only one that drinks coffee in my house and I usually only make 6 cups.
    dankind wrote:
    Start with two scoops (tbsp) per every measured cup on the side. See how that treats you. Adjust accordingly.

So 24 tablespoons per pot? Seems like a lot to me
  • sparky_frysparky_fry Posts: 760
    edited July 2013
    yeah just like the other person said - 2 tbsp per cup, or 1 heaping tbsp per 2 cup - works out to be about the same. And 6 is usually what I make, but wouldn't make any less.

Good Luck!
    LloydXmas wrote:
    dankind wrote:

Hey, I like strong coffee. I also, however, don't spend as much as you do on it.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • shepshep Posts: 5,761
    LloydXmas wrote:
    So I got a new Krups 12 cup drip coffee maker this past weekend. How much coffee do you use to make the perfect cup?

Just want to get other people's thoughts

I've been using a French press for the past 3 years.

My advice?

go back to the french press.

The simplest coffee maker is the best.

I have one at home and at work for 4+ years now.
    LloydXmas wrote:

Pike place medium blend. Ground specifically for cone filters

Pike's place? ugh... I can't stand that stuff. I find it far too bitter for my taste.
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Posts: 14,352
    I have a regular Mr. Coffee coffee machine and use Jacobs Krönung (German coffee) or DD Medium Roast. I usually put water for 6 cups in there, and then put 7 good teaspoons of coffee in. "One for each cup and one for the kettle", my grandma always said :) In Germany, people don't like "flower coffee" - coffee that is so thin that you can see the patterns inside the cup though the coffee.
  • Dru_CortezDru_Cortez Posts: 953
    According to cooking guru Alton Brown,
    the golden ratio is

2 tablespoons ground coffee : 6 ounces cold water

Good luck!
    Cheers.
    'Cause you don't give blood and take it back again.
    dankind wrote:
    LloydXmas wrote:
    dankind wrote:

Hey, I like strong coffee. I also, however, don't spend as much as you do on it.
    True. But I also mix it up a bit. I also like Foldgers, 8 o'clock and peets

I still plan on using the French press on sundays.
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    ok, reading this I got curious. I have a Mr Coffee which works just fine, but this thread got me wondering if I am using the right amount of grounds.

looking it up on line, I find most instructions say to use 2 tablespoons of grounds for every 6 ounces of water.

I use one level scoop (using the scoop from my French press) for each "cup". So for just me it's 4 "cups" and four tablespoons of grinds. For two of us it's 6 and 6, or on weekends 8 and 8.

So after a bit of measuring, I find out that for my Mr Coffee a "cup" is actually 5 ounces. I also find out that the scoop is 2 tablespoons. So I am making it a little on the strong side. We generally enjoy it that way. And we find most places (Dunkin Donuts) brew coffee too weak (Starbucks is just too bitter, bleh).

We generally have been using Folgers, Maxwell house, the medium blends.

In my younger days I would use 2 scoops per cup, can't do that anymore :sick:
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329
    sparky_fry wrote:

I use 4 for the same amount. The 4th table spoon isn't as heaping as the first 3 :lol:. I have this perfected 3.75 for 6 cups
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    For normal ground drip coffee I do 2 tbsp per 6 oz of water.

I use my Keurig during the week and my french press on the weekends. If I had the time I'd french press it every day. Nothing better!