Waiting on a Friend from Pittsburgh

Biggest WaveBiggest Wave Posts: 686
edited June 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
Holy shit could that have sounded any worse? Eddie made that song worse than it already was.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Holy shit could that have sounded any worse? Eddie made that song worse than it already was.
    Hey way to bitch! Good work asshole!
  • grandr0yalgrandr0yal Posts: 67
    um.. i love it?
    06/23/2006 - Best night of my life.
    See yins in pittsburgh 2007
    Rock on steelers!

www.myspace.com/nickpc
  • Biggest WaveBiggest Wave Posts: 686
    Hey way to bitch! Good work asshole!

Damn, why the name calling? I'm just giving my opinion. He really didn't do that song any justice at all. He sounds fine the rest of the show, but that one just wasn't his cup of tea I guess.
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,407
    You didn't like it?
    I did!! :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    I fuckin loved it! Guess you had to be there... maybe?
    pjtaper wrote:

Your opinion doesn't mean much considering that you're drunk 99% of the time.
  • RiotAct10RiotAct10 Posts: 1,618
    Im actually a pretty big stones fan, and while I think they could have picked a better song, I thought Eddies voice soudned really good on that song and it really worked. But to each his own.
    words seem so out of place.

8.21.00 Columbus | 6.24.03 Columbus | 7.9.03 NYC | 10.2.04 Toledo | 9.11.05 Kitchener | 5.20.06 Cleveland | 8.5.07 Chicago | 5.6.10 Columbus | 5.7.10 Noblesville | 5.9.10 Cleveland | 9.3.11 East Troy | 9.4.11 East Troy | 7.19.13 Chicago | 10.11.13 Pittsburgh | 10.1.14 Cincinnati | 4.8.16 Ft. Lauderdale | 4.9.16 Miami | 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle | 9.26.21 Dana Point | 10.1.21 Dana Point | 10.2.21 Dana Point | 9.16.22 Nashville | 9.17.22 Louisville | 9.18.22 St. Louis | 9.2.23 St. Paul | 9.15.23 Ft. Worth | 6.22.24 Dublin | 8.26.24 Noblesville
    6.26.11 Detroit (EdVed) | 9.23.17 Louisville (EdVed) | 9.25.21 Dana Point (EdVed) | 10.01.22 Dana Point (EdVed) | 2.6.22 Newark (EdVed)
  • Hey way to bitch! Good work asshole!

since when is offering one's opinion classified as bitching?? huh asshole??!!
  • Damn, why the name calling? I'm just giving my opinion. He really didn't do that song any justice at all. He sounds fine the rest of the show, but that one just wasn't his cup of tea I guess.

Then you should of said something like " i didn't really care for eddie singing waiting on a friend. Anyone else feel this way?" You were called a name because you were being mean and negative.
    Then you should of said something like " i didn't really care for eddie singing waiting on a friend. Anyone else feel this way?" You were called a name because you were being mean and negative.

I was being mean? Holy shit did you just make me laugh. I could have been a lot meaner than I was. I actually held back a bit. How am I supposed to say something positive about something that I feel is negative?
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    pj is my favorite band. don't care for the stones. i love it when pj covers others' music...but ed's version of this stones' song was not my favorite in pittsburgh. not sure if it was his singing or i just don't like that song any way.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more

who the hell are you? 99% of the time? No, I pre-party before Pearl Jam, then drink water and sober up after I get my poster!

and usually do not drink any more after the show, as to avoid hellish hangovers!
  • drew0drew0 Posts: 943
    I fuckin' loved it. Every last damn second.
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
    Madison Square Garden 6/25/08
  • I loved it.

I am still waiting to hear the Srones do it live at a show I'm at. I like the song a lot, but, it has always had the stigma of a crappy video
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • gettingrightgettingright Posts: 550
    Easy kids, we're all friends.

Two wrongs does not make it right.

If you thought he was being negative, say so articulately and nicely.

That said, I liked the song. Didn't get too much into at the show, but really enjoyed it on the boot.
    "...what a different life had i not found this love with you..."
  • teflonsteveteflonsteve Posts: 275
    thought it was pretty sweet. Its not PJ style but still pretty good.
    9/20/05 - Quebec City
    9/22/05 - Halifax
    6/19/08 - Camden 
    6/28/08 - Mansfield 
    9/07/11 - Montreal
    5/05/16 - Quebec City
  • ok i should have dropped the asshole part (i believe i was inspired by ed's "we played it at 7:30 asshole" quote), but still, I do not understand making a subject about how terrible something was (in your opinion). i get tired of the constant bitching on here.
  • JackisBackJackisBack Posts: 92
    pjtaper wrote:
    who the hell are you? 99% of the time? No, I pre-party before Pearl Jam, then drink water and sober up after I get my poster!

and usually do not drink any more after the show, as to avoid hellish hangovers!

Doesn't your strategy mean that you're actually coming down during the show? Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you peak too early. To each his own....I guess
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    Haven't heard it, but I like the attempt at some different covers this tour:

Waiting on a Friend (Rolling Stones)
    Forever Young (Bob Dylan)
    Can't Explain (Who)

As long as they're having fun and enjoying themselves, I have no problem with them butchering a song every now and again. Not saying they did that in Pittsburgh, but I think they earn the right to screw around if they choose.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,798
    I love that Stones song. I haven't heard it, but I really can't see Ed singing it to be honest with you

I think it's cool they did it though
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213

loser
  • pjtaper wrote:

I loved it to Merrick!! I agree I think its one thats better appeciated live.
    "Rock and roll is something that can't be quantified, sometimes it's not even something you hear, but FEEL!" - Bob Lefsetz
  • slangratsslangrats Posts: 2
    I loved it too, as did all my peeps. Sounds like a Stones cover should; a bit rough.
    brain of c wrote:
    loser

I'm a loser? I'm not the one drunk at every show or downsizing my text becasue I'm ashamed of my post.
  • neartodeathneartodeath Posts: 167
    rhinomagic wrote:
    ....As long as they're having fun and enjoying themselves, I have no problem with them butchering a song every now and again. Not saying they did that in Pittsburgh, but I think they earn the right to screw around if they choose.

i'm with this quote...and who cares if wasn't 110% perfect for you, personally...fact of the matter is that it was a 1st time played and i think anybody who was in that stadium with me would agree with me and say that is was a HUGE surprise. it was amazing. a great GREAT song, indeed.

what frustrates me is the original poster failed to overlook this, instead of just posting on the negative...this dude doesn't look at his glass as being 1/2 full...

fact of the matter remains...PJ are at the top of their league for making each show A SPECIAL UNIQUE EXPERIENCE...but then again maybe the original poster of this thread would rather the band do the same setlist every night and to NOT take chances...

pittsburg was my last show of this tour and as i sit here and type this i can say that FOR SURE it was a special show...thanks to the band for starting the 2nd leg off on the right foot :)

BEST BAND EVER
    WHO is Biggest Wave anyway? WHO?
  • voodoopugvoodoopug Posts: 1,011
    I loved it.

I am still waiting to hear the Srones do it live at a show I'm at. I like the song a lot, but, it has always had the stigma of a crappy video

It has always been one of my favorite stones songs, especially loved the version done on the 81-82 tour. I was fortunate enough to see it live in 97 and last year by the stones, and I thought that Pearl Jam did a VERY good job with this song. Eddie mixed up a few lyrics, and even caught himself and switched back a few times to the correct verse. The rhythmn guitar was right on and the lead was different than Ronnie/Mick Taylor, but a very nice interpretation. I enjoyed it and hope to see PJ play this one a little more often.

It will be hard pressed to find a bigger stones fan than I am, and as a die hard, I can tell you that PJ did the song justice and gave it life of their own.
    There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.
  • inmyrvminmyrvm Posts: 933
    i like their version better than the stones.....
    "Fuck the talkin' let's start rockin" - Eddie Vedder 9-5-00 Pittsburgh
    4/26/03 Pittsburgh 5/3/03 State College 7/12/03 Hershey 10/1/04 Reading 9/28/05 Pittsburgh 5/20/06 Cleveland 6/23/06 Pittsburgh 6/22/08 DC

friends don't let friends listen to good charlotte
  • I loved it. And as for me, I really wanted the stones to play this at pnc park and they didn't. so go figure pearl jam plays it for me at their show. life is good.
  • neartodeathneartodeath Posts: 167
    i wrote what i did BEFORE hearing the bootleg...just going from my memory of the concert...

anyways now that i have the bootleg i gotta say this version DOES RAWK

they do a great job on this

HUGE KUDOS