Options

Was Wrigley Just Above Average (B+) for Anyone?

2»

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,630
    It was an A for me (I actually love the set list... Sure it would have been an A+ if they'd played all 40 songs, but I didn't miss them at the time except for maybe YLB at the end. But I do understand what October22 is saying about the sadness for Eddie because his lifelong dream met with a clusterfuck that unfortunately deflated the mood of much of the crowd, and I'm sure that's what he was upset about. Anyone would feel disappointed when something they were anticipating so much goes wrong... Kind of like a wedding where the cake gets dropped and someone spills red wine on the bride's dress. And Ed ai the bride in this scenario. However, after some thought, I wonder if we are reacting more strongly to that than Ed did. He seems to be a man who can role with the punches and find peace and joy with the unexpected and unusual rather than just wanting everything to be perfect like some kind of bridezilla :lol: (not that I know him... That is just the impression I have). Plus, he's a professional, understands that shit happens and probably accepts it better than some of us do, and is, after all, a Cubs fan... Isn't there some kind of bitter sweet irony going on that he might appreciate? I don't know, just thinking that might be how he could react to it.

It's possible that the fact that the whole thing still happened under extraordinary circumstances, and that he was playing Wrigley at 2am with that awesome moon and sky above him, and that he surely sensed the love of the fans and their dedication in sticking through all that, made the whole thing something very weirdly special and kind of surreal to him. There is something rewarding about going through something hard as a group in order to accomplish something at the end...... Then again, I could just be projecting my own sentiments upon him, because that's pretty much how I feel about the whole thing. At any rate, here's hoping Ed doesn't feel let down, because I want him to be able to cherish his moment at Wrigley, not regret it! I know I cherish it, anyway, and I know many others do too, so I'd like for Ed to know that!

Plus, he had Ernie Banks an stage and he kept his childhood baseball glove, he spent the day at Wrigley surrounded by friends and family and faithful fans... How bad could it have been for him???? In the end, I guess what I'm saying is that Ed very well might have a better perspective from where he is than we do as the fans when thinking of how he feels and feeling sad about him being sad... It might be a good idea for Ed to release a statement about it to the members so that we can better understand his point of view.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Thought it was very good considering. Wasn't my favorite but really good. Grand Rapids 06 for me will always be my best show and that one was very unexpected.

This. That's probably my favorite show too. I was front row center for that one, and I was telling someone the other day, I thought PJ tried to hard to make it magical at Wrigley, but the best shows are when the magic just seems to be in the air, like Grand Rapids 06. I don't think anyone saw that Grand Rapids show coming.
    1996-09.22; 1998-06.14,07.02,07.13,07.14,08.17,08.18; 2000-08.18,08.20,10.11,10.27,10.28; 2003-04.23,04.26,06.18,06.19,06.22; 2004-10.02,10.03,10.05; 2006-05.16,05.17,05.19,05.20,06.23,06.24; 2007-08.05; 2009-08.23,08.24,09.28,10.31; 2010-05.06,05.07; 2011-09.03,09.04; 2013-07.19; 2014-10.01; 2016-04.26,08.20,08.22; 2018-08.18, 08.20; 2022-09.17; 2023-09.05, 09.07; 2024-TBD! 
  • Options
    inmyohiotreeinmyohiotree Posts: 329
    Thought it was very good considering. Wasn't my favorite but really good. Grand Rapids 06 for me will always be my best show and that one was very unexpected.

This. That's probably my favorite show too. I was front row center for that one, and I was telling someone the other day, I thought PJ tried to hard to make it magical at Wrigley, but the best shows are when the magic just seems to be in the air, like Grand Rapids 06. I don't think anyone saw that Grand Rapids show coming.
    I agree. The feeleing in the air was very unique. Even before the show when I checked into my hotel on PEARL st. :D What a night and what an amazing show from start to finish. The encore was fucking amazing around the bend, parting ways,hard to imagine, the list goes on and on. Other than my 2 kids being born that was probaly the best night of my life. Good times
    Brooklyn 1,2 13
    Chicago EV 08 11 13
    Cleveland 94 98 03 06 10
    Cincinatti 06
    Columbus 00 03 10
    Detroit 06 EV 11 14
    Grand Rapids 06
    Hershey 03
    Jacksonville EV 12
    Moline 14
    Montreal 05
    Milwaukee EV 08
    Nobelsville 03
    Ottawa 05
    Pittsburgh 06 13
    Toledo 96 04

WRIGLEY 13
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    I thought Wrigley was the best show I have ever listened to over a web cam.
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,463
    ABSOFUCKINLUTELY!!!
    Sea wrote:
    PEARL JAM
    WRIGLEY FIELD
    CHICAGO IL.
    JULY 19, 2013
    SET LIST

01. Release
    02. Nothingman
    03. Present Tense
    04. Hold On
    05. Low Light
    06. Come Back (Dedicated to Sarah “one of the good one’s that passed away” and her husband Andy)
    07. Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
    08. All The Way
    09. All Night
    10. Do The Evolution
    11. Setting Forth
    12. Corduroy -(instrumental part and the “everything has changed” part has been changed slightly. and has long outro)
    13. Faithfull
    14. Mind Your Manners-(new song from “Lightning Bolt” album
    15. Lightning Bolt-(new song from “Lighting Bolt” album
    16. State Of Love And Trust
    17. Wishlist
    18. Even Flow
    19. Leatherman
    20. Eruption-(Van Halen)
    21. Bugs
    22. Why Go
    23. Unthought Known
    23. Rearviewmirror

Encore Break

24. Future Days w/ Brendan O’Brien-(new song from “Lighting Bolt”)
    25. Mother-(Waters)
    26. Chloe Dancer/Crown Of Thorns-(Mother Love Bone, A. Wood)
    27. Porch (During Porch Ed goes into the crowd and when he gets back on stage he swings from the globes that hanging from the lighting truss)
    28. Wasted Reprise/Life Wasted
    29. Black
    30. Rocking In The Free World-(Young)

You've got two number 23's in that setlist.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,463
    october22 wrote:
    I have to be honest and say that my strongest emotion after the show was sadness.

It wasn't the show we spent months expecting and it wasn't the show at Wrigley Ed wanted it so badly to be. You could see it in his face and hear the sincerity in his voice when he said goodnight.

It was a very long day and probably felt even longer for those of us in the pit. The atmosphere never returned after the delay.

That being said, I love this band even more after that night. You know they were tired too but you could feel their commitment to us. They came out and killed it, song after song and their energy was incredible. I am lucky to say I was one off the rail, directly in front of Mike and he was on a mission to give us 110% and he was nothing short of on fire. They all were. Great to see the banter and laughter between him and Jeff.

We'll never know what the show could have been but I'm thankful my favorite band made it a priority to give us everything they had. And for that Wrigley gets an A+

I agree except for the sadness part... My reaction was it was a great show, but damn... It could have been even better if not for the weather. Your feelings about the band's effort are spot on.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    ChoccoloccotideChoccoloccotide A grass shack nailed to a pinewood floor Posts: 810
    october22 wrote:
    I have to be honest and say that my strongest emotion after the show was sadness.

It wasn't the show we spent months expecting and it wasn't the show at Wrigley Ed wanted it so badly to be. You could see it in his face and hear the sincerity in his voice when he said goodnight.

It was a very long day and probably felt even longer for those of us in the pit. The atmosphere never returned after the delay.

That being said, I love this band even more after that night. You know they were tired too but you could feel their commitment to us. They came out and killed it, song after song and their energy was incredible. I am lucky to say I was one off the rail, directly in front of Mike and he was on a mission to give us 110% and he was nothing short of on fire. They all were. Great to see the banter and laughter between him and Jeff.

We'll never know what the show could have been but I'm thankful my favorite band made it a priority to give us everything they had. And for that Wrigley gets an A+

Well said. :clap:
  • Options
    btcs41btcs41 Posts: 26
    october22 wrote:

You hit it on the head. You could just tell how frustrated Ed was. He wanted this night to be epic. Not that it wasn't, but what concert would be the same after 2+ hour rain delay with a large majority of folks weary from travel?

Like others, the experiences (some maddening, some incredible) along with the setlist make this an unforgettable show. Hard to say best ever as I went to 3 of the Spectrum Philly shows...but it's right up there for sure.