Options

Pearl Jam played through devices of convenience

2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144
edited July 2008 in The Porch
i read an article recenty about how lots of musicians have taken a stand against the sound quality with which their music is and has been released, beginning with the switch from analog to digital (cds) and now to mp3, etc,.

these days we are jamming out great sounding fucking PEARL JAM shows in mp3 format through tiny PC speakers, small iPod headphones, piss poor car stereos and its no wonder some here say they sound like shit or whatever. we are playing our favorite band through devices of convenience and it sucks!

am i proposing we all go out and drop several thousands of dollars on quality playback machines, high quality headphones and say no to crap sounding shows because we've all gotten swept up in poor sounding playback devices? maybe.....
www.cluthelee.com
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    this is so true.

i have a kick ass system in my house. actually two kick ass systems.

my car is not so great, but i agree. its sad that when it comes down to it, even with the thousands of dollars ive spent on my sound system and home theater system, that at least 75% of the time when at home, im hearing music from a freakin' laptop!!
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    RITFWinCORITFWinCO Posts: 217
    Everything is geared to the preferences of the masses. That's how capitalism works. The piece of the market that are intent on having the best sound quality--audiophiles--is tiny. Hence, it is very expensive high end stuff. Hopefully as more people start to detect the inferir sounds of some of these meduims, better and lower cost alternatives will exist. i say it will be five years before higher quality sound stuff is both affordable and mainstream. Until then its MP3s on portable speakers
  • Options
    mozettimozetti Posts: 95
    Eddie's first bootleg of a concert was made on a portable tape deck - not exactly pristine, crystal-clear reproduction there. The important thing is that you're enjoying the music.

I hear a lot more detail on my earbuds than through my home stereo (nothing special), but turnin' the volume up to 11 and jammin' while I'm working in my apartment has its place too. I enjoy both scenarios, but for different reasons.

This reminded me of the Vitalogy release. I was 17 and my brother was 13/14 -- I was bringing him up well and he was a huge fan, too (in fact, we just went to the 6/22/08 DC show together). I took him with me to the record store and picked up Vitalogy on its release date. We came home to an empty house and popped the CD into my Sony "all in one" stereo (LP, cassette, 5-cd, AM/FM all in one big honkin' piece) -- by no means anything more than average -- and let 'er rip.

From the first notes of Last Exit through Pry, To we were maniacs (sorry, but you just can't carry a rage through Bugs. Air guitar, headbangin', and at one point during Spin the Black Circle I most likely appeared to be having a "fit" on the floor. All of this on equipment that certainly wasn't producing great audio quality.
  • Options
    The tragedy of it all is that there is no real reason to raise the treble and push the volume to ridiculous limits, like they do. They do it for the simple reason that it's become standard practice, and once you push it to a certain level there is nowhere to go except backwards, and that would be seen as a digression. People who want dyanmic range in their music like the old days are looked down upon as anal audiophiles. Tom Petty's new CD was released in a "regular" and "audiophile" version, which is fucking stupid. ALL versions should be audiophile versions! I can't believe there are people out there who prefer their music to sound like an FM Broadcast.
  • Options
    Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    (This is not directed at the OP)

I've been reading the threads about the bootlegs, and I just wonder why can't we all just enjoy it?

I for one am thankful that I get to listen to every show I went to from 2000 through 2008 because they have released it one way or the other.

I remember back in the day when internet was not available I had to work my ass off to find other fans and be able to trade audience recordings on tape, and I would take any audience recording regardless of whether it was or not the show I attended and the sound was nothing like what you can't get now the bootlegs.

I'm really happy with the made-to-order CD's so far I've received WPB, TPA and Bonnaroo still waiting on Columbia, Camden, Harford and Mansfield, but so far I have no complaints. :D
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,508
    i brought this up a month ago when rolling stone did an article about it.

It’s annoying how bad Avocado sounds in my car.

Eddie is so passionate about everything else. Why not this?
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*