Options

Ed's Voice @ Wrigley

PushinPaintPushinPaint Posts: 431
edited July 2013 in The Porch
Just got back. I've seen PJ/EV every year since 08. Wrigley was the best i have heard him yet. Sounded really good. Anyone else notice this? Just seemed markedly improved and really clear. Evolution was by far better than the versions I had seen live before (only a couple admittedly).

I always thought he sounded good, but I just noticed an improvement tonight (like a revert to 2006-ish).

Wondering if anyone else thought the same?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,258
    I've been one of the biggest critics of Ed's voice over the last 5 or so years...usually followed by pitchforks and torches...and nasty PMs. :lol:

That said, tonight he sounded the best I've heard him since '00-'03. He was pretty much spot on the whole night!
  • Options
    NeutralMilkHotelNeutralMilkHotel Chicago Posts: 97
    I have seen countless live shows since '98. Eddie's voice never sounded better than it did tonight. I was so impressed.
  • Options
    Totally! I'm the same way..just breaks here and there..like wave is wa-ve.. and evolution, something about the tone. but im telling you, from my vantage point, he was on point tonight. i never had the fortune of seeing them before 2008, but the 2000 boots are my favorite and he just killed it tonight. hope its a sign of things to come. great show, by the way :)
  • Options
    mookieb10mookieb10 Posts: 930
    What the fuck was it? The sound booooomed. His voice thundered. I thought when he powered through the heavy songs he might sound a little off going back to the slow stuff, but he was on fucking point.
  • Options
    StephaineStephaine Posts: 62
    The concert had significant meaning to Ed. Perhaps it's as simple as his happiness shining thru?
  • Options
    whatever it was..just keep it up. thinking maybe quitting smoking/cutting back? thats how distinct it was to me
  • Options
    Stephaine wrote:
    The concert had significant meaning to Ed. Perhaps it's as simple as his happiness shining thru?

i thought about this..and then i did a memory comparison to pj20, and wrigley > pj20, but yes i think that is probably at least a part of it.
  • Options
    jumbojetjumbojet Posts: 1,484
    Stephaine wrote:

No, I think he's taking better care of his voice. Less smoking might be a part of it.
    What's your part, who you are?

2012: Arras, Berlin 1-2
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires
    2014: Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: NY MSG 1
  • Options
    Stone Is GodStone Is God Posts: 1,329
    jumbojet wrote:
    Stephaine wrote:

No, I think he's taking better care of his voice. Less smoking might be a part of it.

I'm fairly certain this is the reason. I don't remember him lighting one up in London during the show.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • Options
    primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,351
    jumbojet wrote:
    Stephaine wrote:

Looks like Ed quit smoking. Didn't light up at all last night.
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    Even from the Earth Cam it was clear Ed's voice was in really REALLY great form!
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    ShawshankShawshank Posts: 1,018
    jumbojet wrote:
    Stephaine wrote:

I'm seriously hoping that is the case.
  • Options
    OTOTOOTOTO New York, NY Posts: 190
    He sounded incredible, and everyone noticed. Heard many people talking about it in bathroom and beer lines, etc. He killed it. Was great to hear.
    "You Can't be Neutral on a Moving Train"
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
    they were all on fire, Ed did sound as good as I can recall in a long time, after release I told my buddy same thing

MIKE WAS A MADMAN

maybe not playing so much guitar helped him focus, he barely played last night
  • Options
    jumbojet wrote:
    Stephaine wrote:

Yes! I am loving this. I mean it was a clear improvement so I am just loving it. I don't know if i can properly convey my excitement, but there is just something about seeing the band you love and, 5 years after my first show, see the BEST performance yet. Wonderful.
  • Options
    Bump for others to add notes of what they thought
  • Options
    SB117186SB117186 Posts: 343
    jumbojet wrote:
    Stephaine wrote:

I'm fairly certain this is the reason. I don't remember him lighting one up in London during the show.

During Mike's solo in Even Flow he did at the back of the stage
  • Options
    No, I think he's taking better care of his voice. Less smoking might be a part of it.[/quote]

I'm fairly certain this is the reason. I don't remember him lighting one up in London during the show.[/quote]

During Mike's solo in Even Flow he did at the back of the stage[/quote]

Dang
  • Options
    Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,635
    I thought he sounded great in London and just as great last night
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • Options
    covered in blisscovered in bliss chi-caw-go Posts: 1,330
    Stephaine wrote:

i thought about this..and then i did a memory comparison to pj20, and wrigley > pj20, but yes i think that is probably at least a part of it.

nah. it was the humidity! lubricates the vocal chords.
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    I was gonna ask if Ed quit smoking (or cut back on smoking)... if he is cutting back, I'm sure that's the reason for his voice sounding better.

On the topic of Ed smoking... something I know is a touchy subject around here... Anyway, from what I gather from old interviews, Ed been trying to quit smoking for years... I remember reading an interview from 2004 w/ Carrie Brownstein from SK... I remember he said he was getting hypnotized or something to aide w/ quitting... I know when Johnny Ramone died @ 55 that really sparked him to want to quit too... this is all from interviews I've read. He started smoking to deal w/ Kurt Cobains death if I remember correctly which is kind of sad that had so much of a lasting effect on him.