Relationship advice

bee_boybee_boy Posts: 384
edited July 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Okay, so I haven't been around for ages, but I needed some unbiased opinions and I know I can trust you guys. So, I've been going out with my girlfriend for about two months now and I want to have a chat with her about something no one ever wants to talk about: money. The thing is, since we started going out I've payed for pretty much everything: dinners, lunches, drinks, cabs, movies... Everything. But a couple of days ago when we went out I asked her if she had some spare change for the cab cause I didn't have any, she told me she had none. Not only change but any credit cards, savings cards or any money whatsoever. So I realized that since I've been paying for everything all the time, it's now got to the point where she simply assumes I will pay for everything. Needless to say, I've been feeling a bit used since then. Don't get me wrong, I do make more money than she does (about 3x), and I really don't mind paying for everything most of the time, but I do wish that from time to time she had the gesture to pay for the first round of drinks, or for dessert, or the popcorn. After all, it's not only girls that like being spoilt from time to time.

what should I do? I don't want to come across as being stingy or cheap, and the last thing I want is for her to feel uncomfortable. But on the other hand, it's not nice to feel used by your girlfriend.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    What age group are you in?

Either way, she should most definitely pitch in, at least once in a while.

If you really like her, you better speak up before it makes you so resentful the relationship has no chance.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,796
    Its just money.
    Easier to come by than a good woman. Especially if she is hot.
    Some women are like that, they expect everything to be paid for.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    how hot is she?

:lol:

just kidding ... don't think i'm much help here ... all the girls i've dated want to pay for everything ... to me, it seems like a weird conversation to have ... is she so old fashioned that this is an expectation or is she totally clueless about what is going on? ... you would think that if someone didn't have the funds would at least acknowledge your generosity and explain what their situation is ...
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Not sure I want to give advice to someone whose avatar is "Slavery gets shit done" and whose signature is "I don't like skinny girls. Bones are for dogs, men like meat."

Next.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    BinFrog wrote:
    Not sure I want to give advice to someone whose avatar is "Slavery gets shit done" and whose signature is "I don't like skinny girls. Bones are for dogs, men like meat."

Next.

damn, I didn't even notice that. Honestly, I very rarely look at that stuff. I need to be more observant in the future. I guess this stuff is a reflection of who we are, I know mine is.
  • bee_boybee_boy Posts: 384
    BinFrog wrote:

Next.

Seriously? I guess it makes sense that you got me all sorted out from my avatar and signature which are supposed to be humorous. I definitely support slavery and see women as pieces of meat.

If you don't want to give me advice, it's alright. I don't want it.
  • SnakeduckSnakeduck Posts: 1,056
    bee_boy wrote:
    I definitely support slavery and see women as pieces of meat.

Hey everyone, I found Half-Pint! You can stop the revolution now...
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    :think:

communication is the key to a good relationship....

if you think this has long term potential talk about it, if it's short term, bang the shit out of it, and be cheap about it.

good luck.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • maynardsuxmaynardsux Posts: 1,092
    Sounds like she's training you well for how things will be further down the road :lol:
    '93 Toronto
    '94 Detroit
    '10 Columbus
    '11 Detroit (Eddie solo), Toronto 1 and 2, Ottawa, Hamilton
    '13 London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    '14 Detroit
    '16 Ottawa, Toronto 1 and 2, Chicago 1 and 2
    '18 Chicago 1 and 2
    '22 Hamilton, Toronto
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,665
    maynardsux wrote:
    Sounds like she's training you well for how things will be further down the road :lol:
    Seriously. Instead of asking her to buy popcorn, just propose.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    just break up...there now you don't have any problems.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    Thanks a lot for the advice, guys. In the end it's not about the money, it's about those little details, and not taking for granted that I'll be the sole provider throughout the entire relationship. We're supposed to be a team.

I'll talk to her and I'll definitely try to be tactful about it. I really like her and don't want to mess up thing with her.

Thanks again!
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    Yeah, just talk to her about it.

I went out with this girl for a while...she did the same thing. I knew it wouldn't last but she was hot and I played along... :lol:

Now that I think about it, it was kinda like prostitution! :think: :shock:

I bought everything and she.....well.... :lol::lol:
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    What age group are you in?

Either way, she should most definitely pitch in, at least once in a while.

If you really like her, you better speak up before it makes you so resentful the relationship has no chance.
    Completely agree with these wise words.

(btw, I don't really judge folks by their avatar or signature; I try to go by the content of what the person's posted. This fellow seems alright by me.)
  • LA98LA98 Posts: 256
    Female opinion here :D

I've never expected the man to pay for everything all the time. I always offer to pay for at least something (popcorn if he bought the movie tix, etc) and I always offer an outing that's totally on me. I think it says a lot about a person's character if they never at least make the offer....
    Weird...

My girlfriend just whatsapped me and told me that she wants to take me out for dinner, and I hadn't even spoken to her yet.

Women are mind readers.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    bee_boy wrote:
    Weird...

My girlfriend just whatsapped me and told me that she wants to take me out for dinner, and I hadn't even spoken to her yet.

Women are mind readers.

make her pick up the check
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,796
    Order the lobster.
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    Get_Right wrote:
    Order the lobster.

:lol: This thread has been hilarious. Good luck to the OP!
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    bee_boy wrote:
    Weird...

Women are mind readers.
    You sure she isn't on this board?
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    bee_boy wrote:
    My girlfriend just whatsapped me

keep it clean...this is an all ages forum
  • jumbojetjumbojet Posts: 1,484
    bee_boy wrote:
    Weird...

Women are mind readers.
    You sure she isn't on this board?

Hahaha, this was good.

If she does not haev a goldminer personality, then you shouldnt be worrying about usual date expenditures like dinner, cafe, kino tickets; I would say.

Edit: A girl's preparation for a date (dress, hair, etc...) can cost much more than the date costs.
    What's your part, who you are?

2012: Arras, Berlin 1-2
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires
    2014: Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: NY MSG 1
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    changed the avatar and sig ... :lol:
    polaris_x wrote:
    changed the avatar and sig ... :lol:

Yeah... I don't really mind changing my avatar and signature as long as it saves me some unnecessary bulls**t :)
    Oh, and some of you guys might be right about my GF being on this board...

Yesterday she told me that she would start being more attentive to those details and would "spoil me" more often... and I hadn't even mentioned it. WEIRD.

There was no lobster, though :cry:
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    bee_boy wrote:

Yesterday she told me that she would start being more attentive to those details and would "spoil me" more often... and I hadn't even mentioned it. WEIRD.

I dont know man, the tornado tongue scene from American Pie comes to mind... did you see that recently or something? :lol: :P
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    bee_boy wrote:

I dont know man, the tornado tongue scene from American Pie comes to mind... did you see that recently or something? :lol: :P

HAHAHAHAHA! That's hysterical... Not American Pie, but I've seen "Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo" recently, though.

"Women pay me to give them pleasure"
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    bee_boy wrote:
    bee_boy wrote:

HAHAHAHAHA! That's hysterical... Not American Pie, but I've seen "Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo" recently, though.

"Women pay me to give them pleasure"

:lol::lol:
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • memememe Posts: 4,695
    Threads like these make me miss AET :)

Glad things turned out ok, OP!

(Waves to hedo)
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
    meme wrote:
    Threads like these make me miss AET :)

Glad things turned out ok, OP!

(Waves to hedo)

Thank you!!!

Next time the GF asks me out, you guys are coming with. My treat...

...actually, HER treat.