Options

Coincidence of the Century!

GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,540
edited October 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
I'm a Canadian that was fortunate enough to travel to Paris, and then manage 3/5 Italy shows (missed Bologna and Verona). Outisde the venue for Turin/Torino, I am in the 10C queue/line just killin time and chatting with other PJ fans. A group of 3 come up to the line and start asking for an extra 10C ticket (2 have them, one doesn't). I turn, as I recognize one of the voices. Immediately I recognize the nice British guy (can't remember name) as someone I met in Toronto, Canada, a year ago! This guy flew all the way for the 2005 tour, and I was in his situation the year previous. I was going around the meet-up bar looking for an extra 10C ticket, and ran into him. We chatted a little and went our separate ways! Never caught his name or contact info.. What odds to see him again - in Italy! ....there's more...

When did I meet him first? Toronto, Sept 19/2005. When did I meet him again? Sept 19/2006.
ONE YEAR TO THE DAY.....wow....
1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024:

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    BCbteBCbte Posts: 61
    MrGibbons wrote:
    I'm a Canadian that was fortunate enough to travel to Paris, and then manage 3/5 Italy shows (missed Bologna and Verona). Outisde the venue for Turin/Torino, I am in the 10C queue/line just killin time and chatting with other PJ fans. A group of 3 come up to the line and start asking for an extra 10C ticket (2 have them, one doesn't). I turn, as I recognize one of the voices. Immediately I recognize the nice British guy (can't remember name) as someone I met in Toronto, Canada, a year ago! This guy flew all the way for the 2005 tour, and I was in his situation the year previous. I was going around the meet-up bar looking for an extra 10C ticket, and ran into him. We chatted a little and went our separate ways! Never caught his name or contact info.. What odds to see him again - in Italy! ....there's more...

When did I meet him first? Toronto, Sept 19/2005. When did I meet him again? Sept 19/2006.
    ONE YEAR TO THE DAY.....wow....

You're like Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy in Before Sunrise / Before Sunset... although perhaps not quite as romantic.
    Put the garbage in the garbage can... I can't stress that enough.
  • Options
    AngusAngus Posts: 376
    Here's about the same story:

I've been to Canada last year and travelled from show to show with some marvellous Mexican people (since I was going to Canada alone). Kitchener, 9/11/05, my very first show. Carlos was the Mexican guy I spent most time with.

When did I saw him again? 9/11/06 in the 10C line in Paris. I knew he was going to be in Europe. But well, exactly one year after Kitchener, there we were. Reunited. A Mexican and a Belgian guy. Meeting the first time in Canada. Meeting the second time in Paris.
    00: 7/2 (cancelled...)
    05: 9/11,9/12,9/13,9/15,9/16,9/19
    06: 8/23,8/30, 9/9, 9/11
    07: 6/26, 6/29
  • Options
    GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,540
    I know that PJ has a tight knit community, but the sheer fact that without keeping in touch, two people can run into one another on 2 different continents just by chance is astounding. Made the trip more special for me too. What a time!
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024:

• Options
    I know, it's kind of creepy.

I remember this episode of 'Unsolved Mysteries' where this really religious guy on the East coast decided one day to murder his elderly mother, wife, daughter and son. He left letters for the police, saying how he was watching his children grow into adolesence, and was constantly worrying about them committing sin (sex, drugs, rock and roll and the risk of abandoning religion), or that in his middle age his wife might consider adultery, and so on...

The weight of the world on this guy's shoulders. Ergo, he kills the entire family. Then, next thing you know, he's in the wind.

It must have been like six or seven years later, but one of this guy's former acquaintaces ran into him in a men's washroom in Athens, Greece. The friend was on vacation with his family, and bumped into the guy on another continent, just coincidentally, and he didn't even recognize him at first (the murdering husband/father was really tan, wearing ragged clothes and a cap and had grown a bushy beard that was turning white). But once the friend ID'd him, he said something like "Hey, Dan, where have you been man? Where the heck did you go? You know people miss you--"

...and with that, the guy fled. The other chap tried to chase him down, but to no avail. This guy disappears, shows up half a decade later halfway across the world, and gets recognized by an old member of his church, only to disappear again.

Wherever this guy is, he's still out there. He evidently had some major break from reality, something severe, not sociopathic like Dennis Rader. Just woke up one day and decided he wanted to get his family seats in heaven.

It's such a big world, so it's mind-blowing to experience an event like meeting a stranger for the second time. But it happens. Like the quote goes, "It's so absurd that it must be true."
  • Options
    AngusAngus Posts: 376
    MrGibbons wrote:
    I know that PJ has a tight knit community, but the sheer fact that without keeping in touch, two people can run into one another on 2 different continents just by chance is astounding. Made the trip more special for me too. What a time!

We have been to 4 of the same shows in 2 different continents and yet we never met. Next time... ;)
    00: 7/2 (cancelled...)
    05: 9/11,9/12,9/13,9/15,9/16,9/19
    06: 8/23,8/30, 9/9, 9/11
    07: 6/26, 6/29