Options

help! shows where they were critical of Clinton

2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,178
edited May 2008 in The Porch
my good republican friend says PJ only picks on republicans. can someone locate a show where this is not true? i heared DC 95' was one, but anyone else get me some other proof?
www.cluthelee.com
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    wwfairfieldwwfairfield Posts: 216
    my good republican friend says PJ only picks on republicans. can someone locate a show where this is not true? i heared DC 95' was one, but anyone else get me some other proof?

"vote nader"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MEqtYVt7xI

why do you tALK to republicans?
    why do you try to change their minds ?
    they are set in their ways regardless of proof or fact.. that is part of being a conservative.. they ain't changing thier minds regardless
  • Options
    faithful2youfaithful2you Madison, WI Posts: 778

they are set in their ways regardless of proof or fact.. that is part of being a conservative.. they ain't changing thier minds regardless

Same reason people talk to Democrates...there's more to life than politics. Sometimes you just let it go.

That could be said in the reverse also. :)
    Like a word misplaced...nothing said...what a waste
  • Options
    Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    "vote nader"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MEqtYVt7xI

Works both ways on all counts
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Options
    so.....did ed blast bill clinton during the mid-90s on anything? where is the concert proof. i am trying to make a simple point to my friend.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    I doubt he did because Bill's a good old Fascist Liberal
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    I would probably crap my pants and the start preparing for the apocalypse if I ever heard Ed give the Democrats crap.
  • Options
    I thought he gave Clinton sh*t during the 1998 tour. Not political stuff, but about the Lewinsky scandal. Of course, more of his comments were towards Kenneth Starr, but I do remember hearing him making fun of Clinton too.
  • Options
    kh65kh65 Posts: 946

Ain't that the truth. Maybe with his actions in this current election cycle people on the Left will stop making excuses for him (ha ha). I know how stupid that sounds after I wrote it.

You can love the band but not agree with their politics. We all can't be Right about everything.
    "If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much room."

Gambling=a taxation on stupidity.

Remember, you can walk anywhere, as long as you have the time.

http://www.ryanmontbleauband.com/

http://www.myspace.com/jessedee
  • Options
    lowlight10lowlight10 Posts: 619
    at 8/17/98 Indianapolis, he read the testimony that Clinton gave that night to the grand jury. I cant remember exactly if anything overtly anti-Clinton was said. check the show or maybe the notes at twofeethick.

"Behave like rock stars - not like the President."

-
    -

"In your case, I'll check my brain at the door and we'll start even, okay?"

Have you thanked a taper today?
  • Options
    edvedder913edvedder913 Posts: 1,810
    I think he wore a Clinton mask back at MSG in '98 and said some things about him at that show - don't recall for sure.

Ed criticizes everyone ;)
  • Options
    mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    so.....did ed blast bill clinton during the mid-90s on anything? where is the concert proof. i am trying to make a simple point to my friend.

During one of the Rolling Stone shows back in '97 he made some reference to Clinton looking to go into Iraq again and how it was a terrible idea. Something about putting Clinton and Saddam in a room until they work it out. That's all I remember. Not scathing by any means, but certainly not supportive of Billy boy.
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Here's a few I found on Two Feet Thick.

6/14/98 – Washington DC
    Before Better Man, Ed says “This is going to be dedicated to the President, because we really can’t find a better man.”
    Also said this, “ I dedicate this to the abusive relationship between us and our government ... seems like no matter what we do, we're always getting shit on.”

8/17/98 – Noblesville, IN
    Ed worked “The President spoke in court today” into Jeremy.
    Prior to the first encore, Ed acknowledges some of the signs in the audience requesting songs, as well as one reading "Ed Lewinsky" and then they play a brief clip of Clinton's speech from that afternoon, follow ed by Ed reading excerpts from it; at the end he comments, "I have one word to say - 'consensual'." 'Better Man' is dedicated in turn to both Bill and Hillary Clinton, and the tag has the melody of 'WMA,' but no words are sung. His parting words are, "Behave like rock stars - not like the President."

8/20/98 – Montreal, QC
    Daughter tag is ABITW with the lyrics changed to “Mr. President leave those kids alone.”

9/13/98 – Hartford, CT
    'Faithfull' intro: "The next song is about belief. Don't get a tattoo of a guy's face unless he's dead so he can't fuck up. I was really proud of that Clinton tattoo ... Everyone raise your middle finger and yell, 'Get on with it!'

9/19/98 – Washington, DC
    In a Clinton voice, Ed says, "He just needs to go on TV and say, 'Shoot, it's no big deal'...but I guess he already did that a couple of weeks ago." Someone shouts "I love you Eddie," and he replies, "Watch it, keep it consensual ... this isn't about issues." Then someone yells, "I love PJ" and Ed says, "Well, so do I ... this just is bipartisan politics in motion, that's what's ruining the country, ruining the office of the President ... people are playing king of the hill while there's people with lives, families, debts and injury who really need help," before starting 'Present Tense.'

I know there is another one where he references a Clinton speech and says something like, "The President spoke tonight and since you are all here and missed it, I'll paraphrase. My fellow Americans, bullshit bullshit bullshit, lie, lie , lie"
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    pearljam7pearljam7 Posts: 447
    during the 96 show at randall's island Ed said something along the lines of:

"I smoke pot, but i don't exhale"
    5/4/2006, 5/12/2006, 5/13/2006, 6/1/2006, 6/3/2006, 6/24/2008, 6/25/2008, 6/27/2008, 6/30/2008, 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 8/7/08
  • Options
    ZeiffZeiff Posts: 15
    Actually Fascism is on the right of the political spectrum. Fascist Liberal is an oxymoron such as ethical conservative.
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    I was at PJ's Finsbury Park concert in 1993. Ed started mumbling L7's song "Get Out of My Way, or I'm Gonna Shove", or whatever it's called, and then he said that Bill Clinton had decided that was to be the new national anthem, to be played before every baseball game and every war.
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,526
    Read the Vitalogy liner notes for "Whipping".
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    PearlJam24PearlJam24 Posts: 340
    8/14/2000 New Orleans, LA

After "DTE," he mentions the Democratic convention: "I think Clinton was gonna speak tonight, and he was gonna say: 'My fellow Americans. Bullshit, bullshit, bullshit, bullshit, bullshit ...'" and urges people to study the issues and to vote.
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    PearlJam24 wrote:
    8/14/2000 New Orleans, LA

After "DTE," he mentions the Democratic convention: "I think Clinton was gonna speak tonight, and he was gonna say: 'My fellow Americans. Bullshit, bullshit, bullshit, bullshit, bullshit ...'" and urges people to study the issues and to vote.

That's the one I couldn't remember. Thanks!
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    Zeiff wrote:
    Actually Fascism is on the right of the political spectrum. Fascist Liberal is an oxymoron such as ethical conservative.

Not true. This is something spung by the left. If you check into it both Mussolini and Hitler are closer to the left. You need to check out Jonah Goldberg's book "Liberal Fascism" which was recently on the NYT bestseller list. He also talks about how the Wilson admin. was actually the first fascist govt. in the history of the West.

• Options
    bicyclejoebicyclejoe USA Posts: 1,177
    At the Rock the Vote! Drop in the Park show in 92, Ed had the crowd chanting "Tipper Gore is a fucking whore" over and over. Then he concluded with "vote for Clinton. But Tipper Gore is a fucking whore."
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR
  • Options
    thanks all! i think my buddy sees what i knew to be true. you guys and gals rock!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    We know that Hil doesn't suck. If she did Billy boy wouldn't have gotten into trouble with his gf, Monica. Can you say? "The Clinton's are corrupt."

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Posts: 475
    In Toronto (Barrie) ON in 1998, he changes the lines from habit to "Speaking as a child of ...." and says something about blowing up the buildings in Africa or something. I will check then post back here.

UPDATE: here is the line..I cut and pasted from fivehorizons.com concert chronology along with a link to a sound clip:
    During 'Habit,' Ed changes the "speaking as" line to "speaking as a dumb-ass, beer-drinking, propaganda-believing, missile-shooting, American." http://www.fivehorizons.com/tour/cc/sounds/98/5h_hab_ont.mp3
  • Options
    nukebootnukeboot Posts: 1,465
    kh65 wrote:
    Not true. This is something spung by the left. If you check into it both Mussolini and Hitler are closer to the left.

The meanings of these labels have changed over time. Liberal doesn't mean what it used to either.

Goldberg can play all the word games he wants, but as we sit hear today fascism is more closely associated with militaristic, totalitarian states as a direct result of Nazism.

Labels don't matter. Actions do.

It isn't the "liberals" who are holding people in overseas prisons, torturing them and denying them due process.
    EdSurfingSig_zpsgmyltito.jpg
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...
  • Options
    nm
  • Options
    nukeboot wrote:
    The meanings of these labels have changed over time. Liberal doesn't mean what it used to either.

Goldberg can play all the word games he wants, but as we sit hear today fascism is more closely associated with militaristic, totalitarian states as a direct result of Nazism.

Labels don't matter. Actions do.

It isn't the "liberals" who are holding people in overseas prisons, torturing them and denying them due process.
    Really... what about the Chinese and Cuba to name just two. The 400 page book isn't word games either. It is a very in depth study of the whole movement and it hasn't been discredited, either.

• Options
    kh65 wrote:
    Really... what about the Chinese and Cuba to name just two. The 400 page book isn't word games either. It is a very in depth study of the whole movement and it hasn't been discredited, either.

Thank you for making my point.

Liberal Americans have little in common with the communist leadership of either country. Be careful where you go with this. A closer comparison could be drawn with our conservative Republican president.

And if you think liberals have any interest in creating a state similar to what you see in China or Cuba your hatred for your fellow countrymen is just sad.
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,220
    kh65 wrote:
    Ain't that the truth. Maybe with his actions in this current election cycle people on the Left will stop making excuses for him (ha ha). I know how stupid that sounds after I wrote it.

You can love the band but not agree with their politics. We all can't be Right about everything.
    I don't know... I don't think I'd have such a great time at a concert where the band sings songs and says stuff about me being such an asshole.
    And I chose them because they believe in a lot of the things I believe in (not all of them, but most of them). Which is why I tend to stray from modern Country (i.e. Toby Keith types).
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!