Good Beach Reads

AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
edited July 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Anyone have any good recommendations? I've read Gone Girl and I know someone will recommend it (rightfully so!). I generally read memoirs/nonfiction but I'm open to any good books, fiction or non!
This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    My beach reads go-to-guy is Carl Hiaasen. Im reading Bad Monkey right now and its pretty good. He's not necessarily beach material, but they're all set in Florida and the Keys, so they often have a tropical feel.

Some of his other good books are Native Tongue, Tourist Season, Skin Tight, Stormy Weather...

And of course there is my novel that just came out today, Jonny Bails Floatin. (I know cheap plug) ;)
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    My beach reads go-to-guy is Carl Hiaasen. Im reading Bad Monkey right now and its pretty good. He's not necessarily beach material, but they're all set in Florida and the Keys, so they often have a tropical feel.

Some of his other good books are Native Tongue, Tourist Season, Skin Tight, Stormy Weather...

And of course there is my novel that just came out today, Jonny Bails Floatin. (I know cheap plug) ;)

Somebody just told me about him yesterday. Never heard of him before.

I really enjoyed this book, South of Broad, Pat Conroy
    It's fiction, and somewhat of a mystery, but I just loved the characters. It starts out a little slow, but stick with it and you will enjoy it I believe.
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,835

I prefer Tim Dorsey over Carl Hiaasen, but both are great Florida trash writers.

Will JonnyPistachio join their ranks?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • SnakeduckSnakeduck Posts: 1,056
    Lord of the Flies... you'll want to impale a pig's head and stick it in the sand next to your beach chair.
    dankind wrote:

I prefer Tim Dorsey over Carl Hiaasen, but both are great Florida trash writers.

:D

I actually just picked up Tim Dorsey's Pineapple Grenade too... but i havent read it and I have to drop it back at the library. Ever read that one? What books do you recommend by Dorsey?
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,835
    dankind wrote:

I actually just picked up Tim Dorsey's Pineapple Grenade too... but i havent read it and I have to drop it back at the library. Ever read that one? What books do you recommend by Dorsey?

I really enjoyed Triggerfish Twist and Hammerhead Ranch Motel (big homage to Key Largo in this one). Serge A. Storms is the shit!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind wrote:
    dankind wrote:

I really enjoyed Triggerfish Twist and Hammerhead Ranch Motel (big homage to Key Largo in this one). Serge A. Storms is the shit!

I just looked those up... both look good. I love the cover art too.
  • d1witdafunkd1witdafunk Posts: 226
    Try jimmy Buffett .....salty piece of land and where's joe merchant are great books also set in the Florida keys /tropics . Even if you don't dig his music he is actually a really good writer...considering all the time he has spent in the tropics he's gotta be and expert. Also don't stop the carnival by Herman Wouk and adrift seventy six days lost at sea by Steven Callahan .and 2 more good ones are In search of captain zero by Allan c. Weisbecker and following the equator by mark twain

Happy reading! :D
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    I had never read Lisa Scottoline's books before - she writes smart, kind of funny, kickass mostly female attorney books. I read three - quick reads and very enjoyable.

I usually like darker mysteries. Denise Mina is fantastic, very dark though. And Ian Rankin is great too.

If you like historical mysteries, check out Imogen Robertson.
  • Dru_CortezDru_Cortez Posts: 953
    Any of the Jack Reacher novels
    by Lee Child.
    The gf introduced me to them a few years back.
    Also any of the Lincoln Rhyme novels
    by Jeffery Deaver.

Cheers.
    'Cause you don't give blood and take it back again.