parking with wheels turned

chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
edited July 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
251px-Do-you-need-to-curb-your-wheels....jpg

grinds my gears every time

why can't people simply straighten out their steering? it really bugs me. i myself would not ever in 47 trillion years ever park my car with the steering wheels not 100% completely straightened out. one of my neighbors parks this way every single time. i can't help myself to think this person is a dipshit

am i the only one who thinks/feels this way?

STRAIGHTEN YOUR SHIT OUT!
for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
I am tired; my heart is
sick and sad. From where
the sun stands I will fight
no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dankinddankind Posts: 20,835
    I couldn't do it myself, but I don't begrudge others who do so.

Recommended reading:
    067102437X.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

mca47 could probably use a copy, too.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    chadwick wrote:

why can't people simply straighten out their steering? it really bugs me. i myself would not ever in 47 trillion years ever park my car with the steering wheels not 100% completely straightened out. one of my neighbors parks this way every single time. i can't help myself to think this person is a dipshit

What about the guy parked in front of him :lol:
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    dankind wrote:
    I couldn't do it myself, but I don't begrudge others who do so.

Recommended reading:
    067102437X.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

mca47 could probably use a copy, too.
    nicely played. you're probably right, im a dick

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick wrote:

Now THAT guy is a douchelord!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    chadwick wrote:

i like that guy more

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329
    Learned this in drivers ed back in high school. As shown in you pick, that doesn't bother me. If by some act of God you car start to roll it just bumps into the curb.

What bothers me is when the tire turner points them in the wrong direction.

I'm not a tire turner though...
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
    Learned this in drivers ed back in high school. As shown in you pick, that doesn't bother me. If by some act of God you car start to roll it just bumps into the curb.

I thought that was only if you were on a hill.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    chadwick wrote:
    chadwick wrote:

i like that guy more

Yeah, well he's about to get his side view mirror knocked the fuck off.
    I SAW PEARL JAM

yes on a hill turn into the curb to save your car from rolling down the hill.

i see cars on a flat surface, 410 feet away from any other cars & 900 miles away from any hills & yet full wheel turning as if they were checking their shocks & struts

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    dankind wrote:
    Yeah, well he's about to get his side view mirror knocked the fuck off.
    he also gets in & out of his vehicle more comfortably by leaving space between car & curb for foot work :lol:

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    my boss recieved a ticket for not turning his wheels in. it was in san fran.

what i don't get is people with manual transmissions that are parked on a flat surface that put on the E brake. i just throw it into R and forget about it.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    my boss recieved a ticket for not turning his wheels in. it was in san fran.

what i don't get is people with manual transmissions that are parked on a flat surface that put on the E brake. i just throw it into R and forget about it.
    i haven't used my E brake is 19 years (or the p for parking)
    http://youtu.be/G8mv1nRHjJA :lol:

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438

Yes I remember learning this too. But chadwick I can see your point, that if you're the only car for miles around, maybe its not an issue. In Brooklyn no one does it as far as I've noticed.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    I dont know why, but this drives me nuts too. Sometimes it looks like it could be bad for the car, but I have no idea. When they are turned drastically, sometimes they look bent or unnatural.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    chadwick wrote:

totally agree. Amazing how bad most drivers are...especially in the state of Pennsylvania, which has the worst collection of drivers on the planet
    I dont know why, but this drives me nuts too. Sometimes it looks like it could be bad for the car, but I have no idea. When they are turned drastically, sometimes they look bent or unnatural.
    im no mechanic (as i am led to believe maybe you are not either?) but i also think this is bad for the front end of the car. mechanics please chime in

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,145
    The car in front is the jerk. The car with his wheels turned in is not affecting anybody else, so who cares?
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    this is one of many, many annoying habits that my ex has. used to drive me nuts - I would get in the car, start backing out and the car is immediately turning. hated that.
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    The car in front is the jerk. The car with his wheels turned in is not affecting anybody else, so who cares?
    i can't help myself as it is not to my liking because the wheels are not perfectly inline. same as stereo volume settings that show the volume levels. certain numbers, i don't like the way they look & i will have to change the volume setting to a more pleasing looking number

who would run around with a car stereo set at 9 or 23 or 17? i surely would not ever do such a thing

same with wheels turned when parked. it is bullshit when leaving & it looks uncomfortable to me.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    right. just looks plain lazy to me. they turn into a parking space and shut the car off.

same types that turn the car off and leave the windshield wipers on, then the snow and ice fall so when the car is turned on, strips the wipers and breaks them all up. that really ticked me off when she did that
  • guacamolejoeguacamolejoe Posts: 2,396
    dankind wrote:

If you check the rooftops down the street, you'd see that the person who turned his wheel to the curb, did the right thing :ugeek: . They're on a very steep hill, the car will only roll an inch. Now if the brakes fail or the car gets slammed from behind, it won't wind up in the middle of the street :o .
    So, What you Giving ?........ (Thanks Speedy, Alesek, & Arq+friends)
    What You Giving

I suggest you step out on your Porch.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh, See the World!
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    right. just looks plain lazy to me. they turn into a parking space and shut the car off.

same types that turn the car off and leave the windshield wipers on, then the snow and ice fall so when the car is turned on, strips the wipers and breaks them all up. that really ticked me off when she did that
    agreed!

"hello, im home" off goes the ignition. wheel jacked 72-79 degrees, it's almost 3 o'clock according to the steer tires. frig that.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    dankind wrote:

If you check the rooftops down the street, you'd see that the person who turned his wheel to the curb, did the right thing :ugeek: . They're on a very steep hill, the car will only roll an inch. Now if the brakes fail or the car gets slammed from behind, it won't wind up in the middle of the street :o .

guac is right, need to turn the wheels so if for some reason your car gives way, you don't roll into the car in front-as the guy in the blue van will do to the white van.

I can always spot a transplant as they turn their wheels the wrong way on a hill. Some of the hills downtown, yeah, you best be turning, your wheels, AND using your e-brake.

I have seen a parked vehicle stray from its parking spot...sans driver, and then smash into another car. Flagged down a bike cop and told them what happened.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • F5AgainstOneF5AgainstOne Posts: 1,462
    chadwick wrote:

As mentioned by others... the reason you see so many cars parked this way is because it is the correct thing to do. It was taught to me in Driver's Ed YEARS ago.

I hope it doesn't grind your gears that a lot of people actually slow down instead of speed up at a yellow light.
    EV Solo Boston 6/16/11
    East Troy 9/3/11
    East Troy 9/4/11
    Amsterdam 6/26/12
    Amsterdam 6/27/12
    Wrigley Field 7/19-20/13
    Worcester, MA 10/15/13
    Worcester, MA 10/16/13
    Hartford, CT 10/25/13
    Seattle, WA 12/06/13
    Denver, CO 10/22/14
    Fenway 2016 #1
    Fenway 2016 #2
    Fenway 2018 #1
    Fenway 2018 #2
    edited July 2013
    bullshit

edit
    Post edited by chadwick on

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    chadwick wrote:
    i can't help myself to think this person is a dipshit

:lol:
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293

I hope it doesn't grind your gears that a lot of people actually slow down instead of speed up at a yellow light.

It does
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    chadwick wrote:
    who would run around with a car stereo set at 9 or 23 or 17? i surely would not ever do such a thing

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

i'm cracking mine to 17 tonight.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    chadwick wrote:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

i'm cracking mine to 17 tonight.
    please don't! im begging you, no!

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle Posts: 10,724
    chadwick wrote:

As mentioned by others... the reason you see so many cars parked this way is because it is the correct thing to do. It was taught to me in Driver's Ed YEARS ago.

True. But aren't these tires turned the wrong way for that though? :lol:
    NERDS!