Reading Comprehension

Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329
edited July 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
After three days of reading The Porch and Given to Fly forums, I believe that reading comprehension has been flushed down the pot.

So I ask, what level of reading comprehension do you think the average 10 clubber has? Maybe it's just excitement, but I'll leave that up to you.
I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    :silent:

I don't want to insult people...that's just rude.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • SnakeduckSnakeduck Posts: 1,056
    After three days of reading The Porch and Given to Fly forums, I believe that reading comprehension has been flushed down the pot.

So I ask, what level of reading comprehension do you think the average 10 clubber has? Maybe it's just excitement, but I'll leave that up to you.

Just ballparkin' here...

Reading comprehension = 6th grade average
    Writing skills = 4th grade dropout average
  • SnakeduckSnakeduck Posts: 1,056
    RKCNDY wrote:

I'll take that baton and run with it... ;)
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Your Rong
  • PapPap Posts: 28,764
    Your Rong

+1 :lol:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329
    RKCNDY wrote:

No one is trying to be rude. Just an observation.

Note: I read a page of a book and by the time I get to the bottom of the page I have to skim over the top again to remember what I just read :lol:
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Ahhh...I think sometimes people just jump the gun and type before they fully think it out - least I hope so. Definitely not limited to this place, that's for sure...every group runs the gamut.

(as far as reading comprehension itself, I'd lump that lost "art" in the same pile as the ability to spell, punctuate, use grammar, etc. Pretty sad.)
    RKCNDY wrote:

No one is trying to be rude. Just an observation.

Note: I read a page of a book and by the time I get to the bottom of the page I have to skim over the top again to remember what I just read :lol:

I'm like that sometimes...I guess I just really feel sorry for those that are all huffy "I've been a member for a bazillion years and seniority doesn't matter!"

I don't understand why it's so hard to understand there are 2 lotteries, Ticket Lottery: if you GET tickets, and Seating Lottery: if you won the chance to sit in row 1 & 2 or 9 & 10.

I do agree with Snakeduck's assumption though...I was going to be less generous and put comprehension at 5th grade.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • jbarbianjbarbian Posts: 991
    The average newspaper is typically written at a 4th-6th grade reading comprehension level to insure greater accessibility.

My guess for here? 4-6th grade. Of course time of day/night could factor into this.
    jbarbian wrote:
    The average newspaper is typically written at a 4th-6th grade reading comprehension level to insure greater accessibility.

My guess for here? 4-6th grade. Of course time of day/night could factor into this.

or the amount of alcohol coursing through the bloodstream...

- Christopher McCandless
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    :leaving:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    :leaving:

:wave:

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:
    jbarbian wrote:

or the amount of alcohol coursing through the bloodstream...
    :lol::lol::lol: that's what I was hinting at ;)
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,794

Totally agree. I've thought this for some time. I'm guilty of it as well.

I'd say that most read on a fairly high level, but they selectively comprehend or skim or whatever and typically miss the point.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    Your Rong

:lol:

I think reading and writing is an art, and just like a piece of music or a painting -- we are all different how we interpret these artistic endeavors. And then again, the schools in 'merica aint da best.

Reminds me -- I read something a few months back about reading trends among children in the US. I'll try to dig that up...but reading is down I think.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    Your Rong

I think reading and writing is an art, and just like a piece of music or a painting -- we are all different how we interpret these artistic endeavors. And then again, the schools in 'merica aint da best.

Reminds me -- I read something a few months back about reading trends among children in the US. I'll try to dig that up...but reading is down I think.
    creativity... fascinating

i myself wish i had it in me to read more but i get so damn bored & lost after awhile. on the other hand, writing is a uncontrollable drug to me. nothing in the world like the Muse speaking & feeling me out

i have roughly 4,000+ pages to review & edit. it's been put off for years because i can't stand the idea or fucking around reading my own shit

i need a editor
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce

I am currently working on my Reading License. (I know that it probably doesn't come across in my late night posts, but I have taught for 15 years in At-Risk and Special Education classrooms at the middle school level utilizing reading programs such as Read 180 and Fast ForWord). I am moving down to the elementary school level and am excited to be able to work with emergent readers, "catch them when their young".

Common Core Standards are working to raise the literacy rates nationwide. No longer is the mindset that students either "get it or they don't". Brain research has enabled experts to understand why children struggle and how to assist them best.
  • tremorstremors Posts: 8,051

Your avatar makes me laugh man
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878
  • tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
    chadwick wrote:
    Your Rong

creativity... fascinating

i myself wish i had it in me to read more but i get so damn bored & lost after awhile. on the other hand, writing is a uncontrollable drug to me. nothing in the world like the Muse speaking & feeling me out

i have roughly 4,000+ pages to review & edit. it's been put off for years because i can't stand the idea or fucking around reading my own shit

i need a editor

Morning Chadwick! I got my new Pearl Jam single delivered on street date as promised. If you want some help with editing then I might be in a position to help you out in the future ;)
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    thank you for the offer tremors. one thing is for certain, i need to take control of my life! im starting to learn this after many years of autopilot
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,915
    Snakeduck wrote:

Just ballparkin' here...

Reading comprehension = 6th grade average
    Writing skills = 4th grade dropout average

owl have you know I wuz an exellent stoodent in skool!!!!
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16